Searching functional (phrasal) categories in CLAN

Joseph Williams

Apr 13, 2016, 1:33:18 PM4/13/16
to chibolts
Hi,

I'm writing a paper on the acquisition of accusativity in child language and using CHILDES for data.

Is there a command similar to combo to search for a word immediately followed by some functional category, i.e. combo +tCHI +s"gave"^NP *.cha

Thank you,

Joseph

Brian MacWhinney

Apr 13, 2016, 1:46:29 PM4/13/16
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Joseph,

    COMBO can do this if your search includes the %mor line, as in

combo +t%mor +s”*|give&PAST^n|*” *.cha

—Brian

Joseph Williams

Apr 13, 2016, 4:40:25 PM4/13/16
to chibolts
Ah! Thank you, Brian. Much appreciated.

Joseph

Joseph Williams

Apr 17, 2016, 1:39:00 PM4/17/16
to chibolts
Hi Brian,

Apologies for more questions, but is there a way of outputting matches of a query into a file? I've tried using the "+f" flag and ">" operator to output, but not generating the results I'd like.

Thanks again,

Joseph

Leonid Spektor

Apr 17, 2016, 3:29:48 PM4/17/16
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Joseph,

    Are you saying that +f option does not create an output file on your computer? Or do you just dislike the format of the output file

If it is the former, then let us know which computer (Mac or PC), which OS (Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows ???, OS X 10.11.?) you are using and do you have the latest version of CLAN.

If it is the latter, then let us know what format of output do you want to get.

I have tested COMBO with +f option and it works correctly on Mac and PC, so I need more details from you to figure out what might be wrong.
Leonid.

Joseph Williams

Apr 17, 2016, 4:24:31 PM4/17/16
to chibolts
Hi Leonid,

Apologies, I should have been clearer. +f is generating an output file, but I'd (ideally) prefer a a file of just the matches of the query I've searched in a big corpora, rather than "Strings matched 0 times" for each individual file it scans.

Joseph

Leonid Spektor

Apr 18, 2016, 1:40:36 PM4/18/16
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Joseph,

    Your clarification still leaves at least three possible interpretations of what you want. If my following interpretations are not correct, then please be very specific about exactly what you want.

1). if you want only matched items listed instead of utterances where they were found then try either one of these command:

    freq +t%mor +s"*|give&PAST n|*" +f *.cha
    freq +sm;give,&PAST^|n +f *.cha

2). if you want cumulative count of all matches and not number of matches per file, then try either one of these command:

    combo +t%mor +s"*|give&PAST^n|*" +f +u *.cha
    freq +t%mor +s"*|give&PAST n|*" +f +u *.cha
    freq +sm;give,&PAST^|n +f +u *.cha

3). if you simple want all output to go into just one file, then try this command:

    combo +t%mor +s"*|give&PAST^n|*" *.cha > outputfile.txt

    Or any combination of above examples without +f and with "> outputfile.cex"

Leonid.