Disfluencies & Parts of Speech

hsa...@kent.edu

Apr 23, 2018, 3:48:02 PM4/23/18
to chibolts
Hello,
Is there a way to figure out the occurrence of disfluencies on 1) content words and function words and/or 2) syntactic location (beginning of sentences/words, end of sentence/words). As of now, I planned to print out my transcripts and figure this out by hand but if there is a set way to do either of these functions in CLAN I would appreciate the insight. I feel a standardized approach would help ensure accuracy and consistency.
Thank you for your help!
Heather

Brian MacWhinney

Apr 23, 2018, 5:09:19 PM4/23/18
to ChiBolts, Nan Bernstein Ratner
Dear Heather,
     You will probably want to do this case by case.  For example, I would recommend computing for each disfluency type and each part of speech and then using Excel to add or just add by hand.  Please try out these commands on the flucalc.cha file in the exlamples folder (which you should have already downloaded) to get a feel for how you would do this:

For the major content word types:
freq +s%↫%% +sm|adv,|adj,|n,|v fluency.cha +d7 +c5

For more types, you can add
or to combine them all:

freq +s%↫%% +sm|adv,|adj,|n,|v,o% fluency.cha +d7 +c5

For the additional types of content words, you need to add the colon, as in  +sm|adv,|adv:,|n,|n:  etc.

We haven't yet standardized this, but that is a goal.

--Brian MacW