Morphological Tagging

mio...@mail.harvard.edu

Jun 6, 2018, 1:03:37 PM6/6/18
to chibolts
Greetings!

I'm looking at word class codings in my CLAN output, and I see some nouns that are marked as "n:adj|". The major examples I'm not sure how to interpret are "n:adj|different" versus "n:prop|different". I couldn't find an example of the "n:adj" marker in the manual, so I wanted to check in. How is "n:adj|" different from "adj|"?

Thank you in advance!
Min

Brian MacWhinney

Jun 7, 2018, 9:46:25 AM6/7/18
to ChiBolts
Dear Min,
     Forms that are tagged as n:adj are created by the n:adj-deriv rule in cr.cut based on presence of the suffixes -ness and -ie, as listed in 0affix.cut.  There are no n:adj forms directly listed in the lexicon.

—Brian MacW

Min Hyun Oh

Jun 7, 2018, 10:42:45 AM6/7/18
to chib...@googlegroups.com