Beginner CLAN question: MCV + ABN

Emily MacIntyre

Sep 15, 2017, 3:08:16 PM9/15/17
to chibolts
I would like to preface this question by stating that I am a new CLAN user. I am looking to analyze the use of Metacognitive Verbs and Abstract Nouns in a set of transcripts. If MCV/ ABN has been added after each occurrence of these words. Is there a way using CLAN I can calculate their frequency per transcript?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Brian MacWhinney

Sep 15, 2017, 6:26:06 PM9/15/17
to chib...@googlegroups.com, Emily MacIntyre

Dear Emily,

Yes, this is rather easy to do.  One simple way would be to add the tag @z:m to all your metacognitive verbs and @z:a to all your abstract nouns.  Then you could issue the command

freq +s*@z:m +s*@z:a *.cha

You could also do this by adding comments after each of these words, but this method might be a bit faster in terms of typing.  If you want a combined count you would use

freq +s%@z:m *.cha

-- Brian MacWhinney

Emily MacIntyre

Mar 4, 2018, 2:43:51 PM3/4/18
to chibolts
Thank you for your assistance, this worked out well! Is it possible for me to get a list of the most commonly used @z:m and @z:a words in my transcripts?

Brian MacWhinney

Mar 4, 2018, 2:55:39 PM3/4/18
to ChiBolts
Emily,

Yes, as I noted in my original message, you can use a command like this.  Please read the manual regarding FREQ and its varous options.

freq +s"*@z:m" *.cha

--Brian