CLAN on linux

Lars Christian Jensen

Mar 2, 2017, 7:16:12 AM3/2/17
to chibolts
Has anyone had success with running the clan editor in Linux?

I already have the unix tools, which works great but it would be great to have the ability to make transcriptions (with bullets) too. Is there even a remote chance that this will work (for example under WINE) or do you know of any software that transribes in a CLAN friendly format?

All the best,
Lars

Brian MacWhinney

Mar 2, 2017, 8:08:22 AM3/2/17
to chib...@googlegroups.com

Lars,

Simply recompiling CLAN to get the CLAN editor on Linux is not possible.  The code for running CLAN on Unix is only for the commands themselves.   Writing a Unix-native version of the CLAN editor would be a huge job.  It is hard enough to keep the editor up with ongoing changes on Windows and (particularly) Mac.  Leonid could comment further on this.

However, if a system like WINE does as advertised, you should be able to run either the Windows or Mac versions of CLAN in that sort of emulation mode.  If you give this a try and have any luck with it, please tell us.

--Brian MacWhinney

Lars Christian Jensen

Mar 5, 2017, 4:05:00 AM3/5/17
to chibolts
Hi Brian,

I wasn't trying to give you more work, I was simply trying to reach out to see whether anyone else had been dealing with this issue. I was able to get an older version of the windows version working in WINE. The latest version I can get to work is the one from October 8th, 2013. Later versions won't install and I haven't yet been able to figure out what exactly is the problem. I was thinking of writing up a guide how (this older version) can be run in Linux and post it here in case other people come looking.

All the best,
Lars