Are quotes excluded from KIDEVAL analyses?

Amber

Jun 26, 2015, 3:21:09 PM6/26/15
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Hello there, Can I please check - are quoted materials (as marked by +") excluded from KIDEVAL analyses? Thank you!

Leonid Spektor

Jun 26, 2015, 4:28:45 PM6/26/15
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Quoted materials that are marked as +" are not excluded from KIDEVAL analyses, but quoted materials that are marked as
<quoted text> ["] are excluded.

Leonid.

On Jun 26, 2015, at 15:21, Amber <ambal...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello there, Can I please check - are quoted materials (as marked by +") excluded from KIDEVAL analyses? Thank you!

Amber

Jun 27, 2015, 4:07:44 AM6/27/15
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Thank you - I will change to that symbol.

Best wishes
Amber

Brian MacWhinney

Jun 27, 2015, 8:46:38 PM6/27/15
to ChiBolts, Leonid Spektor
Yes, that is correct.  However, there is a third case which involves words that end in @q.  Those words are not excluded from the various counts and are recognized by MOR as members of the “meta” part of speech category.

—Brian MacWhinney

Brian MacWhinney

Jun 27, 2015, 9:00:01 PM6/27/15
to ChiBolts
Dear Amber and Leonid,
     I read Leoniod’s message a bit too quickly.  About two years ago, we removed the use of <quoted material> [“] from CHAT in order to better integrate quotation marking with MOR and the other programs.  Currently, there are these three ways of marking quotes.
1.  +”   this is used when you want to quote whole utterance, as in book reading.  In this case, MOR, FREQ and other programs treat the material as a normal full utterance.
2.   “quoted text” :  This method is used for shorter stretches that are not single words, but not whole utterances.  The quote characters here are inserted using F2+’ and F2+”.   The material inside the quote markers is treated as regulard words.
3.  word@q:  This method is used for metalinguistic citation or quotation of a single words.  Such words are then counted separately by FREQ and are tagged as “meta” in MOR.

— Brian MacWhinney

Amber

Jul 6, 2015, 3:27:50 PM7/6/15
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

The quoted material I want to mark is from a book reading activity, so they are whole utterances. However, I do not want this material it to be included in the Kideval analyses because I am only interested in the extra-textual talk at present. Is there a way that I can mark these utterances (they are whole utterances) as quoted material and yet have them excluded subsequent Kideval analyses?

Many thanks,
Amber

Amber

Jul 6, 2015, 3:28:48 PM7/6/15
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your earlier reply also.

Amber

Brian MacWhinney

Jul 6, 2015, 4:36:05 PM7/6/15
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Dear Amber,
    KIDEVAL runs a large number of separate programs and it uses the default exclusions for each.  If you want to exclude all book reading material from all analyses, you probably should create new versions of your files using KWAL.  Your command would be

kwal +t@ +t* +t% -s\+\” +d +f 0012.cha

Then you can run KIDEVAL on the output file(s).

Make sure you understand the role and construction of each of these switches, particularly the -s\+\@

Best,

— Brian MacWhinney