Issues with CLANc

Elnaz Kia

Jul 29, 2021, 6:48:25 PM7/29/21
to chibolts, Elnaz Kia, jing...@utah.edu
Hi all,

One of my research assistants (also cced here) who transcribes the Chinese portion of our corpus has the following issues with CLANc. He owns a MacBook (macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6) and works with the latest version of CLANc. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions to fix the following issues.

1. Linking Issue:  Many of the .cha files do not link with the audio files. He has tried F5 and sonic mode and here is the error that he gets for each:

The F5 mode showed “Can't locate media filename” and the sonic mode showed 'Can't locate media file or recognize media format”. (screenshots attached)

*I tried the file on windows and it works fine.

2. The transcriber had to change the gender from male or female to unknown due to confidentiality reasons. I recommended running the following commands.

chstring +re +1 +w +x +t@ +s"|male|" "||" *.cha

chstring +re +1 +w +x +t@ +s"|female|" "||" *.cha

"After I run the following commands to remove the gender information from the .cha files, it will show some additional information that I need to remove manually. "

"The example of additional information listed below:"

@UTF8@Window: 176_548_467_685_-1_-1_210_0_210_0
@Begin@Languages: zho
@Participants: c0002 IDc0002 Student
@ID: zho|corpus|c0002|0;00.00||||Student|||
@Media: c0002cadr01_1, audio
@Transcriber: Xiqiang Wang
@Comment: hum, ahn, ah, eh signal hesitation
@Situation: unspecified
*c0002: eh (..). •0_18941•
*c0002: wo3 (..). •18941_24567•
*c0002: eh . •24567_26456•
@End

I tried running the commands on the problematic files and got the same result on CLAN windows. Do you know what the problem might be and how I could fix it?

I was able to remove the first extra line with the following command, but I couldn't add a return after @Begin.

chstring +re +w +1 +t@ +s"\@UTF*" "" *.cha

Thanks,
Elnaz
f5error.png
sonicmodeerror.png

Leonid Spektor

Jul 29, 2021, 10:02:07 PM7/29/21
to chib...@googlegroups.com, Elnaz Kia, jing...@utah.edu
Hi Elnaz,

First of sorry for late reply. For some reason my mailer put you email in Junk box and I haven't seen it until now.

To answer 1. it looks like there is a comma missing after the media file name on @Media header, so CLANc thinks that media file name is "c0048cadrnh_1 audio" instead of simply "c0048cadrnh_1". PC seems to be more tolerant of this mistake. I will change CLANc to be more tolerant as well.

2. seems to be a bug in CHSTRING command. I will fix it and update CLANc on the web tomorrow.

Leonid.

Elnaz Kia

Jul 29, 2021, 11:36:26 PM7/29/21
to chibolts, Elnaz Kia, jing...@utah.edu

Dear Leonid,

We really appreciate your answers. I hope the debugging fixes the chstring issue on Windows as well.

Many thanks,

Elnaz & Jingfu

Leonid Spektor

Jul 29, 2021, 11:50:57 PM7/29/21
to chib...@googlegroups.com, Elnaz Kia, jing...@utah.edu
Hi Elnaz and Jingfu,

The problems were not as severe as I previously thought, so I was able to fixe everything now. I have updated all versions of CLAN on the web. The F5 and CHSTRING should now work correctly on Mac and Windows PC.

One recommendation about using +1 option, if I may. I always advise people to not use it. But, if you must, then I would recommend to make backups of your data first or to use command, like CHSTRING, without +1 option on one file and see if the result looks okay. If you choose to not use +1 option, then, for example for CHSTRING command, you can afterwards run command "ren -f *.chstr.cex *.cha" to rename all CHSTRING output files back to .cha files. This one extra command step may save you from major headache of your original data getting completely corrupted.

Leonid.