%mor and %gra tiers

Simge Topaloglu

Jun 24, 2019, 6:41:12 PM6/24/19
to chibolts
Hello,

My question is about a search that requires combining the %mor and %gra tiers. (This probably has an easy solution, but I couldn't figure it out.) I am interested in finding sentences with embedding verbs, so I want to search for a set of specific verbs, either immediately followed by a subject, or followed by a subject after the interposition of the complementizer that. Conceptually, this design would give me the output that I want. But what is the code that would generate this output? I tried some things, but they didn't work, I suspect maybe there is a two-step solution for this?

I would really appreciate your help!

Thank you,
Simge

Leonid Spektor

Jun 24, 2019, 7:50:12 PM6/24/19
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

As I understand what you want I would suggest following two commands:

For any verb immediately followed by a subject:
combo +d7 +sm|v^g|SUBJ *.cha

For any verb followed by a subject after the interposition of the complementizer that:
combo +d7 +sm|v^*^m|comp,;that^*^g|SUBJ *.cha

Leonid.

Simge Topaloglu

Jun 24, 2019, 11:14:54 PM6/24/19
to chibolts
Hi Leonid,

This is really helpful, thank you. Is there a way to specify the particular verbs that I want to focus on, though?

S.

Leonid Spektor

Jun 24, 2019, 11:49:06 PM6/24/19
to chib...@googlegroups.com
To specify specific stem use ‘;’ stem symbol. For example, to look for lemma of word “walk” specify command:

combo +d7 +sm|v,;walk^g|SUBJ

To get more information on specific searches on %mor tier type “freq +sm” in commands window. You can also read more about it in CLAN manual around chapter "7.8.7 FREQ for the %mor line”.

Leonid.

Simge Topaloglu

Jun 25, 2019, 12:17:50 PM6/25/19
to chibolts
Hi Leonid,

Thank you so much for your help! This code works, but I have noticed that in the particular corpus I am using, the instances of that that function as complementizers have actually been coded as relativizers (pro:rel|that), so I had to change that portion of the code. I am just saying this here, in case it helps someone else who uses a similar command and is puzzled to not find any complementizers in the corpus.

Many thanks again!

Best,
Simge

On Jun 24, 2019, at 23:14, Simge Topaloglu <sit...@g.harvard.edu> wrote:

Hi Leonid,

This is really helpful, thank you. Is there a way to specify the particular verbs that I want to focus on, though?

S.

Brian MacWhinney

Jun 25, 2019, 12:29:55 PM6/25/19
to ChiBolts
Dear Simge,

    The word “that” in English has many readings and it is tricky for POST to get it always right.  However, in more recent versions of MOR/POST we added some rules that improved this tagging.

-- Brian MacWhinney, Teresa Heinz Professor of Cognitive Psychology, Computational Linguistics, and Modern Languages, CMU