Code Switching Topic: CLAN commands

Toh An

Apr 29, 2018, 3:21:58 PM4/29/18
to chibolts
Dear all,

I have some questions on the use of COMBO commands to analyse code switching topics in utterances.

Firstly, I want to do a count of specific tier combinations (the same tier; different codes), in a specific sequence across clusters using the COMBO command.

e.g.:

*TE1:  utterance

%xcod: 1.3

%xtsf: 4.8

*CH3: utterance

%xcod: 2.5

%xcsf: 5.4

è  I want to be able to specify the command to count the instances where %xcod:  1.3 is followed by another code on the same tier %xcod:  2.5 but across different clusters.

è To use the command to count the instances of different sequences (for example 1.1à2.5/ 2.6/ 2.7)

Secondly, I want to do a count of specific tier combinations (different tiers; different codes), in a specific sequence within clusters using the COMBO command

e.g.:

*CH3utterance

%xcod: 1.7

%xcsf: 5.4

*TE1:  utterance

%xcod: 1.2

%xtsf: 4.2

*CLS:  utterance

%xcod: 1.6

è  I want to be able to specify the command to count the instances where %xcod:  1.2 is followed by another code on a different tier %xtsf:  4.2 within the same clusters.

è To use the command to count the instances of different sequences (for example 1.1à4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4/4.5/4.6/4.7/4.8)

Note:

As shown above some utterances have two tiers of codes. All utterances have the %xcod tier while some utterances by the speaker *TE1 have the tier %xtsf, and some utterances by the speaker *CH#/CLS have the %xcsf tier.

However, other utterances may not have two tiers, and only have the %xcod tier.

e.g.:

*TE1:  utterance

%xcod: 1.2

*CH4: utterance

%xcod: 2.6

*TE1:  utterance

%xcod: 3.2

*TE1:  utterance

%xcod: 3.3

%xtsf:  4.8

I have tried using the following COMBO commands but they do not seem to produce results in the CLAN window. Could you provide some suggestions?

Thank you so much.

Message has been deleted

Toh An

Apr 29, 2018, 3:27:16 PM4/29/18
to chibolts
These are the COMBO commands which I have used which do not seem to work:

combo +t*TE1 +s"t%xcod: 1.2^*^t%xtsf: 4.5" +t%xcod +t%xtsf

combo +b2 +s"%xcod: 1.3^*^%xcod: 2.5" +t%xcod +t%xcod

Brian MacWhinney

Apr 29, 2018, 3:35:52 PM4/29/18
to ChiBolts, Toh An
Dear Toh An,
    Yes, you could probably analyze these using some form of a COMBO command.  However, the type of code chain structure you seem to be studying might be better analyzed using either the KEYMAP or CHAINS commands.  Why don't you take a look at the description of those in the manual to see if they correspond to what you are trying to do.

--Brian MacWhinney

Toh An

Apr 29, 2018, 4:11:55 PM4/29/18
to chibolts
Thank you for the recommendations!

For KEYMAP, the manual says that "On the coding tier, keymap will look only for symbols beginning with the $ sign. All other strings will be ignored." Do I have to code the dependent tiers starting with the $ sign? I tried using the command "keymap +b1.2* +t%xcod  @" but it does not produce any results or output.

Brian MacWhinney

Apr 29, 2018, 4:13:22 PM4/29/18
to ChiBolts, Toh An
Yes, you would need to add the $ sign.