unresponsive conversations

Molly Ye

May 1, 2020, 11:59:21 AM5/1/20
to chibolts
Hi,

I ran into a problem while transcribing videos where a teacher talks to a child but the child is unresponsive to the teacher, then the child says something to a peer. On the transcript, it seems that the child's utterance to the peer is a response to the teacher while in fact, it is not. Because we are transcribing conversations in a classroom setting, it is confusing sometimes as it shows on transcripts that we cannot tell apart unrelated conversation turns. Is there any solution to this?

Thank you!
Molly

Brian MacWhinney

May 1, 2020, 1:31:42 PM5/1/20
to ChiBolts, Molly Ye
Dear Molly,
  Transcription of interactions in the classroom is super challenging.  If addressee is important for you, then you can simply add the %add line to indicate the addressee.  Most transcribers skip this step, assuming that it is usually clear who is the addressee, but in this case it would be good to add it.

--Brian MacWhinney