Run FREQ for stems only, using a .cut file

Loïc Liégeois

Jan 30, 2023, 2:04:30 PM1/30/23
to chibolts
Dear all,

I want to run FREQ on the child %mor tier, but for stems only, and only on a list of stems saved in a .cut file.
The result I obtain is unexpected, in the sense that I obtain several results for a same stem, more precisely one line for each POS tag.

For example, if I run the command

freq +t*CHI +t%mor -t* +...@reX2.cut "mr-*,o-%" +o Madeleine-050508.cha

I obtain this result:

From file <Madeleine-050508.cha>
Speaker: *CHI:
  4 v|reconnaître-INF
  3 v|rejouer-PRES&SUB&13s
  3 v|repousser-IMP&2s
  3 v|repousser-INF
  3 v|repousser-PRES&SUB&2s
  2 part|rentrer-PP&m&pl
  2 v|revenir-INF
  1 part|rentrer-PP&m
  1 part|repeindre-PP&m
  1 v|recommencer-INF
  1 v|rejouer-FUT&3s
  1 v|rejouer-IMP&2s
  1 v|rejouer-INF
  1 v|rendormir-INF
  1 v|rentrer-INF
  1 v|rentrer-PRES&SUB&2s
  1 v|repousser-PRES&SUB&13s
  1 v|revenir-PRES&3s

Does anyone know how I can be able to obtain only one line per stem ? I tried several commands an options combinaisons, but nothing works... I attach the files that I used in my example.

Thanks in advance !
Best,
Loïc

--

Loïc Liégeois
IR Université Paris Cité - UFR Linguistique

*********************************

Tél. : 01-57-27-57-58
Pages personnelles : LLF / CLILLAC-ARP
reX2.cut
Madeleine-050508.cha

Leonid Spektor

Jan 30, 2023, 3:11:06 PM1/30/23
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Loïc,

To get stems only your search string must be "+smr-*,o-%". This has to be also reflected inside your reX2.cut file. Each line in that file is its own search command, minus the +s string. Attached is the modified reX2-stems.cut file that will give you stems only.

Leonid.
reX2-stems.cut
reX2.cut
Madeleine-050508.cha

Loïc Liégeois

Feb 1, 2023, 4:04:59 PM2/1/23
to chibolts
Thank you Leonid for your fast reply,

I tried the two commands in the file attached, but none of them work...
Please, can you help me writing the entire command?

Best,
Loïc
commands_stems.txt

Leonid Spektor

Feb 1, 2023, 4:28:09 PM2/1/23
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Loïc,

You are mixing two mutually exclusive commands. Use either one or another command:

freq +t*CHI +...@reX2-stems.cut +o Madeleine-050508.cha

or

freq +t*CHI +smr-*,o-% +o Madeleine-050508.cha

Leonid.
reX2-stems.cut
Madeleine-050508.cha

Loïc Liégeois

Feb 2, 2023, 4:27:06 AM2/2/23
to chibolts
Thank you Leonid,

I tried the command 1 and I obtained the result 1 , then I tried the command 2 and I obtained the result 2. Commands and results are in the text files attached because Googlegroups hides commands with a "@" in messages.
None of the two commands give me the expected result, that is the frequency of stems that are stored in my .cut files, and only those stems.
I don't see where I mistake...

Thank you very much for your help,
Loïc
command1.txt
command2.txt
result2.txt
result1.txt

Leonid Spektor

Feb 2, 2023, 10:51:20 AM2/2/23
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Loïc,

I think I see what the problems is. Google does seem to change the command with "@" in the message. I will send commands in the attached text files the way you do. If this still does not work, then you should email to me directly as Brian suggested.

First, I see that your CLAN is from 16-May-2022 (freq (16-May-2022) is conducting analyses on:), so it is almost a year old. I would recommend that you update it.

Attached are input, command lines and outputs files of two commands that I recommended. Command1.txt will give you stems from reX2-stems.cut file only. Again if those commands do not work for you, then please email to me directly at spe...@andrew.cmu.edu. I will put my email in my-email.txt file. I must say I have never seen Google groups email message change any text with "@" character before.

Sorry about all the confusion.

my-email.txt
Command2.txt
result2.txt
Madeleine-050508.cha
reX2-stems.cut
Command1.txt
result1.txt

Loïc Liégeois

Feb 3, 2023, 10:47:52 AM2/3/23
to chibolts
Thank you Leonid, Command1.txt gives me exactly what I expected!
I understand my initial mistake: I have to specifie that I want frequencies for stems only in the .cut file, and not in the command line.
Thank you again for your help.