coding multiple successive non-speech utterances

lise menn

Feb 15, 2019, 12:33:03 PM2/15/19
to chibolts
CHAT allows an abbreviated coding for repeated speech utterances (no, no, no, no) but the same coding convention is rejected for non-speech.

In particular:

CHI squeals nine times in a row, but Check rejects the line
*CHI: &=squeals [x 9].

Can I code this without re-repeating the line  *CHI: &=squeals.  ?

Thanks, Lise

Brian MacWhinney

Feb 15, 2019, 12:46:42 PM2/15/19
to ChiBolts, lise menn, Leonid Spektor
Dear Lise,

     It appears that our other checker (Chatter) accepts this.  So, it is just a problem with CHECK.  I will see if Leonid can remove this constraint in CHECK.  By the way,  doesn't this remind you of the subject of:

Menn, L., & MacWhinney, B. (1984). The repeated morph constraint: Toward an explanation. Language, 19, 519-541.

I always wanted the title of that article to be "Enough is enough".  So why do we have to write &=squeals nine times?

-- Brian MacWhinney, Teresa Heinz Professor of Cognitive Psychology, LTI and Modern Languages, CMU

Leonid Spektor

Feb 15, 2019, 2:15:13 PM2/15/19
to Brian MacWhinney, ChiBolts, lise menn
Lise,

You must have an older version of CLAN. Newer CLAN does not report error for the "*CHI: &=squeals [x 9]." tier. Please make sure that you have the latest CLAN. If you still have problem, then please email to me directly the file that has the problem.

Leonid.