Circumlocution instances

Aditya Upadhyaya

May 11, 2023, 7:44:58 AM5/11/23
to chibolts
Dear chi bolts,

I want to extract all the instances of circumlocution in the aphasia protocol  discourse. What is the command to do that using CLAN?

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,
Aditya Upadhyaya

Davida Fromm

May 11, 2023, 9:26:46 AM5/11/23
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Dear Aditya,

This would first require some type of word-level or utterance-level coding that meets your definition of circumlocution. Many of the transcripts have the utterance-level post-code [+ cir] to flag instances of circumlocution but those have not been subjected to any kind of strict reliability evaluations, and not all of the transcripts have those utterance level post-codes.

The command you would use to find utterances with that post-code for the Participant is:
freq +s"<+ cir>" +t*par *.cha

The information about post-codes in the CHAT manual is at the bottom of page 114: https://talkbank.org/manuals/CHAT.pdf

Feel free to email me privately at fr...@andrew.cmu.edu if you have more questions about this.

Best,
Davida

Brian Macwhinney

May 11, 2023, 9:57:33 AM5/11/23
to ChiBolts, Aditya Upadhyaya
Dear Aditya,
I used BBEdit to look for the code [+ circ] in the English AphasiaBank corpora. It located only 14 instances. Coding of circumlocutions depends on human decisions and there could be a lot more than that. To find these using CLAN, the command would be
freq +s"<+ circ>" *.cha +re +u +t*
or
freq +s"<+ circ>" *.cha +re +u +t*

—Brian MacWhinney

Aditya Upadhyaya

May 12, 2023, 5:29:36 AM5/12/23
to Brian Macwhinney, ChiBolts
Thank you very much Davida and Brian. I am gonna try using the commands and see if I can extract the appropriate instances for my ongoing study and will get back to you.
I wish you both a good weekend.
Kind regards
Aditya

Sent from my iPhone