Chaos engineering tools

sourabh mittal

Apr 15, 2019, 3:45:42 AM4/15/19
to Chaos Community
Can anyone suggest is there any available open source chaos tool which can be used use all types of attacks and we can also integrate our own attacks there

Arnold van Wijnbergen

Apr 15, 2019, 4:16:43 AM4/15/19
to sourabh mittal, Chaos Community
Hi Sourabh,

Please take a look at the chaostoolkit from ChaosIQ ( https://chaostoolkit.org/ ).  Nowadays I contains a lot of driver extension. I think this is exactly where you are looking for.

Regards,
Arnold

Op ma 15 apr. 2019 om 09:45 schreef sourabh mittal <sourabh....@gmail.com>:
Can anyone suggest is there any available open source chaos tool which can be used use all types of attacks and we can also integrate our own attacks there

sourabh mittal

Apr 15, 2019, 5:24:34 AM4/15/19
to Chaos Community
Actually i was thinking of it with gui not CLI

赵强

Apr 15, 2019, 6:24:13 AM4/15/19
to sourabh mittal, Chaos Community

Maybe you can try to use Chaosblade.

Chaosblade is an experimental tool that follows the principles of Chaos Engineering and is used to simulate common fault scenarios, helping to improve the recoverability of faulty systems and the fault tolerance of faults. Chaosblade is Alibaba's internal MonkeyKing open source project. It is based on Alibaba's nearly ten years of fault testing and practice, combining the best ideas and practices of the Group's businesses.

On 04/15/2019 15:45sourabh mittal<sourabh....@gmail.com> wrote:
Can anyone suggest is there any available open source chaos tool which can be used use all types of attacks and we can also integrate our own attacks there

sourabh mittal

Apr 15, 2019, 7:25:15 AM4/15/19
to Chaos Community
Can u suggest me any success stories with chaostoolkit

Chris Aniszczyk

Apr 15, 2019, 9:55:05 AM4/15/19
to sourabh mittal, Chaos Community
In CNCF, we track some chaos engineering tools and companies here:
https://landscape.cncf.io/category=chaos-engineering&format=card-mode

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 2:45 AM sourabh mittal
<sourabh....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone suggest is there any available open source chaos tool which can be used use all types of attacks and we can also integrate our own attacks there

Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719

sourabh mittal

Apr 16, 2019, 5:48:43 AM4/16/19
to Chaos Community
Is simian army active

sourabh mittal

Apr 16, 2019, 5:50:14 AM4/16/19
to Chaos Community
Is it a good idea to use the simian army today and what is the connection between simian army and gremlin

Kolton Andrus

Apr 16, 2019, 1:32:09 PM4/16/19
to sourabh mittal, Chaos Community
Github states "The Simian Army project is no longer actively maintained."

Thanks,

Kolton D. Andrus
@KoltonAndrus

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 2:48 AM sourabh mittal <sourabh....@gmail.com> wrote:
Is simian army active

sourabh mittal

Apr 16, 2019, 10:23:05 PM4/16/19
to Chaos Community
Actually i was thinking of going for an open source rather than a licenced one
Please suggest me that

Sushant Sood

Apr 16, 2019, 10:31:22 PM4/16/19
to sourabh mittal, Chaos Community
You can evaluate chaos Toolkit , there are different versions of chaos Toolkit available on github .

Regards
Sushant Sood

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019, 12:45 AM sourabh mittal <sourabh....@gmail.com> wrote:
Can anyone suggest is there any available open source chaos tool which can be used use all types of attacks and we can also integrate our own attacks there

Rivlin

Apr 17, 2019, 7:26:02 AM4/17/19
to Sushant Sood, sourabh mittal, Chaos Community
Or use spinnaker

Sent from my iPhone

Hemanth Kumar Kilari

May 23, 2019, 8:06:23 AM5/23/19
to Rivlin, Sushant Sood, sourabh mittal, Chaos Community
Hi,
        I am Hemanth Kumar Kilari, a chaos engineer at VMware. Our team has built an opensource toolVMware Mangle  to support chaos engineering against both on-prem and Cloud Applications.

What is Mangle?

Mangle enables you to run chaos engineering experiments seamlessly against applications and infrastructure components to assess resiliency and fault tolerance. It is designed to introduce faults with very little pre-configuration and can support any infrastructure that you might have including K8S, Docker, vCenter or any Remote Machine with ssh enabled. With its powerful plugin model, you can define a custom fault of your choice based on a template and run it without building your code from scratch.

  • Tried and Tested in VMware - Validated on VMware product and Cloud platforms.
  • Container and OVA support - Can be easily deployed and setup in a matter of minutes using either the containers or OVA packages.
  • Efficient custom fault plugin model - Can build and plugin new faults on the fly without building the code from scratch.
We tried our best to incorporate the feedback and knowledge provided in this group. Please try it and give your valuable feedback.

Niran Even Chen

May 23, 2019, 9:43:25 AM5/23/19
to Chaos Community
Hey Hemanth
This is very exciting, I am from VMware and working on Chaos eng and Devops initiatives at VMware
We should catch up
I plan to test your stuff as well

Thank,
Niran

On Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 8:06:23 AM UTC-4, Hemanth Kumar Kilari wrote:
[...]

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 4:56 PM Rivlin <rivlin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Or use spinnaker

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 16, 2019, at 10:31 PM, Sushant Sood <ersush...@gmail.com> wrote:

You can evaluate chaos Toolkit , there are different versions of chaos Toolkit available on github .

Regards
Sushant Sood

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019, 12:45 AM sourabh mittal <sourabh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can anyone suggest is there any available open source chaos tool which can be used use all types of attacks and we can also integrate our own attacks there

ersushantsood

May 23, 2019, 11:29:15 AM5/23/19
to Niran Even Chen, Chaos Community
Hi Hemanth,
                     Thanks for sharing this tool . I was going through the documentation .Can you please confirm if my initial understanding is correct for Mangle.

As per the documentation,  faults can be injected in K8s, docker, remote machine and venter. So currently the tool supports only infrastructure level chaos ?

Regards
Sushant Sood

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to chaos-communi...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/chaos-community.

AVINASH SHRIMALI

May 23, 2019, 11:44:07 AM5/23/19
to Chaos Community
Hi Sushant,

Apart from infrastructure faults we have two faults support for Application fault CPU and Memory. We will be enabling remaining faults in the next release.

Thanks,
-Avinash

sourabh mittal

May 23, 2019, 11:46:55 AM5/23/19
to Chaos Community
link to mangle?

AVINASH SHRIMALI

May 23, 2019, 11:47:28 AM5/23/19
to Chaos Community
Sure Niran, please schedule a call as per your convenience.

Thanks,
-Avinash

AVINASH SHRIMALI

May 23, 2019, 11:50:47 AM5/23/19
to Chaos Community
Documentation at: https://vmware.github.io/mangle/

Thanks,
-Avinash

On Thursday, 23 May 2019 21:16:55 UTC+5:30, sourabh mittal wrote:
link to mangle?

sourabh mittal

May 24, 2019, 4:10:40 AM5/24/19
to Chaos Community
Hi
Can i install this in aws or anything else

i want a demo

AVINASH SHRIMALI

May 24, 2019, 4:20:23 AM5/24/19
to Chaos Community
There are container images available for mangle and the details are provided in the documentation, you can run those containers in AWS or any machine where docker service is running.

Hemanth Kumar Kilari

May 24, 2019, 5:14:10 AM5/24/19
to Chaos Community
Hi Sushant,
               Mangle 1.0 supports CPU and Memory faults can be invoked against a Pod(Selected Container)  in K8s, a container in docker and a remote machine at both Infrastructure Level or at JVM Level hosted on them. We working to enable more Application level Faults in our future releases. The Faults Targeted for future releases of Mangle are already available as inactive List items in Mangle UI. More Details on Application Level Faults and procedure of their invocation is available at https://vmware-1.gitbook.io/mangle/sre-developers-and-users/injecting-faults/application-faults

Hemanth Kumar Kilari

May 24, 2019, 5:23:21 AM5/24/19
to Chaos Community
Hi Sourabh,
               The deployment of mangle can happen on any docker host Irrespective of hosting infrastructure. Mangle container Deployment can be done following documentation at https://vmware-1.gitbook.io/mangle/mangle-administration/supported-deployment-models#deploying-the-mangle-containers. If you are also expecting the injection of faults into EC2 instances through AWS endpoints, Mangle 1.0 does not have support for AWS as Endpoint. However, you can inject faults by registering targeted EC2 instances as remote Machines to Mangle. As of now, we do not have a demo video. But we covered most of user flows in the documentation. Please let us know if you need any more details.

ersushantsood

May 24, 2019, 11:05:24 AM5/24/19
to Hemanth Kumar Kilari, Chaos Community
Hi Hemanth,
                      Thanks for sharing the documentation. I recently architected a chaos solution but it's not opensource . I would like to contribute in future to Mangle . Can you please share the future roadmap for Mangle or let me know if there is any development channel created for discussions.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/chaos-community.

Hemanth Kumar Kilari

May 25, 2019, 12:44:31 AM5/25/19
to Sushant Sood, Chaos Community
Hi Sushanth,
     Great thanks for your willingness to take VMware Mangle initiative forward. Our short term plan is to implement
all the faults currently listed in Mangle.
   We can work together to find the  possible convergence of your solution with mangle. We are very exited to receive the feedback from chaos engineering  community on overall experience with Mangle before planning long-term. Our development channels are available at https://vmware.github.io/mangle/#contributing.
Thanks,
     -Hemanth K

James McGovern

May 29, 2019, 8:41:03 AM5/29/19
to Chaos Community
The vast majority of articles regarding the Principles of Chaos seem to be targeted towards those in DevOps and Infrastructure roles. I am looking for articles and general thoughts on how Chaos can be embraced by corporate IT roles such as Enterprise Architecture and Solutions Archtecture...

Hemanth Kumar Kilari

Nov 29, 2019, 12:19:49 AM11/29/19
to Chaos Community

Mangle version 2.0 is now available to public

Some of the new features include:

  • Support for AWS EC2 as an endpoint
  • Support for new infrastructure faults:
    • File Handler Leak Fault
    • Disk Space Fault
    • Kernel Panic Fault
    • Network Faults: Packet Delay, Packet Duplication, Packet Loss, Packet Corruption
    • Kubernetes Service Unavailable Fault
    • AWS EC2 State Change Fault
    • AWS EC2 Network Fault
  • Support for new application faults:
    • File Handler Leak Fault
    • Thread Leak Fault
    • Java Method Latency Fault
    • Spring Service Latency Fault
    • Spring Service Exception Fault
    • Simulate Java Exception
    • Kill JVM Fault
  • Support for plugging in custom faults at runtime

As an open source project, we greatly value contributions from within VMware and the larger software community. So if you are interested, do contribute to Mangle.

GitHub IO Page: VMware Mangle

GitHub Repo: Mangle GitHub Repository

GitBook Docs: Mangle GitBook

Rishabh Jindal

Dec 17, 2020, 10:47:16 PM12/17/20
to Chaos Community
Hi Hemanth and Sushant,

I am glad to know your contributions towards creating wonderful Chaos Engineering tools. I must say you guys have done a wonderful job with Mangle and T-Mobil respectively.

I am glad to share that my organization is looking for an expert who had contributed to architecting a Chaos solution. If this sounds interesting to you, I will be glad to connect and take the discussion further. Please feel free to connect me at +91-9891701419 or send me a mail-back.

Regards
Rishabh

Sushant Sood

Dec 18, 2020, 1:29:40 AM12/18/20
to Rishabh Jindal, Chaos Community
Hi Rishabh,
                    I have not contributed to Mangle rather architected on-prem closed source chaos solution for a financial organization. Thanks for considering me for the discussion but as of now I am not looking for any change.

Regards
Sushant Sood