How to set up chaos toolkit for my servers?

Nayan Gaur

Apr 11, 2020, 2:16:51 AM4/11/20
to Chaos Community
Hi,
I am very new to chaos engineering. My aim is to first set up the POC for my clusters.
My specific doubt is with the configuration in chaos-toolkit.
 - How and where to provide DB clusters entry in chaos-toolkit?
 - How and where to provide the microservices entries in chaos-toolkit?
 - How to provide information of my kubernetes in chaos-toolkit?

Any help in this context would be much appreciable. Thanks!

Sylvain Hellegouarch

Apr 14, 2020, 5:08:03 PM4/14/20
to Nayan Gaur, Chaos Community
Hello!

Sorry for the delayed response.

Generally speaking, Chaos Toolkit tries to remain the declarative world. This means, all the information a Chaos Toolkit experiment requires to run should be found in the experiment file itself.

In your case, this means:

* the configuration section which contains a flat mapping of non-sensitive data
* the secrets section which contains a nested mapping of topics with sensitive data

In both cases, the value can be inlined, but in the case of the secrets, this is obviously problematic to share. The value can also be read from the environment variables of the current shell session. Finally, they can also be read from HashiCorp vault.
In both latter cases, the sensitive data is not part of the file but read during execution by the chaos toolkit command.

These key/values are then used during the experiment by the extensions that implement probes or actions against your system. Which key is taken by which extension can usually be found in the documentation. Suffice to say, keys are usually mapped directly to the function's arguments implementing the probe or action.

Hope this makes sense,
- Sylvain Hellegouarch

Email from People at capillarytech.com may not represent Official Policy of Capillary Technologies unless explicitly stated. Please see our Privacy Policy for details. Contents of this Email are confidential. Please contact Sender if you have received this Email in error.

Nunzio Meli

Jul 2, 2020, 4:39:42 AM7/2/20
to Chaos Community
Would be interesting to have a vault driver for chaos-toolkit.