The Computer Room of 2023

Danny Murray

Dec 1, 2021, 9:58:18 AM12/1/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
We're in the design phase of a new school build and I'm wondering what schools are doing for practical subjects like computer science and coding?

The default template seems to be a typewriting room from the industrial revolution. It's worse than what we currently have in the old building.

Has anyone got something more up to date like islands and pop-up table screens and project workspaces?

Many thanks!

-Danny

Eoin McDonnell

Dec 1, 2021, 10:00:42 AM12/1/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Lots of sockets Danny!

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/CAKJA_5HTgT86su_vQvoTzr3DLMbOpVpi2vPpPaJo1sN%3DgEwfQg%40mail.gmail.com.

Eoin McDonnell

Dec 1, 2021, 10:07:48 AM12/1/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
In a more serious note you might find some layouts of value here - they for all classrooms to incorporate digital learning.

Flexible workstations look like a good option.

Best regards
Eoin

aaron hynes

Dec 1, 2021, 10:14:47 AM12/1/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Incorporate multiple whiteboards on the walls around the room for team work/planning.

Storage around the desks if possible also for projects can also be useful.

John Heffernan

Dec 1, 2021, 10:18:04 AM12/1/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
I have a ton of classroom photos that could give you ideas from my time in Albemarle if you want me to share them

Sheila Jennings

Dec 1, 2021, 1:15:40 PM12/1/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Danny,

Some things that come into my head after doing a refurbishment a few years ago in our small school but still need to make changes!!

multiple USB ports.

Panels for floor sockets.

Whiteboard paint for collaborative brainstorming. (Need someone who knows how to apply this properly)

Quiet booths for concentration opportunities.

Reading or podcast/music listening areas.

Places where students have opportunities to brainstorm, collaborate, present and reflect.

Ceiling speakers (ones connected to central amplifier but also ones for personal classroom devices.

Green/blue screen flexible area, maybe a blind?

Printed blinds and felt paneling on some wall space rather than multiple display boards.

A visit to Microsoft Dreamspace and Google to get you dreaming if you had an unlimited budget!! Trinity also have great 21st century teaching and learning spaces.

Oh and I nearly forgot, an area for a decent coffee machine! 👌
Sheila

--
Sheila Jennings
Lehinch N.S

Andrew Bates

Dec 1, 2021, 1:48:51 PM12/1/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
I had the opportunity to visit Le Cheile in Tyrrelstown  a few months ago and they have some great design ideas. The monitors were recessed into the desks and arranged in groups of 4 rather than rows with half facing away from the teacher. They also have some great ideas with whiteboards and whiteboard partitions.

If anyone on this thread is from that school they might have more info.
Andrew

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or their agent, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is
strictly prohibited.

Power

Dec 2, 2021, 4:32:52 AM12/2/21
to CESI-list
We are working on one at the moment - a STEM lab / makerspace for coding/cs/science etc.

The start of this video gives an overview:

We have crated 'zones' high end PCs for Unity / Video editing. grab and go chromebooks for microbit, fabrics, soldering stations etc. I really wanted the space to be flexible so we got Granett STEM trolleys from Sligograph - these are fantastic because you can all the microbit gear in one, use it in the lab but if there was a double booking wheel the trolly to another room for instant mobile STEM lab!

Just painted the robotics corner Green so it can double as a studio for video Chromakey:

Currenty working on:
1. Mounting the montiors on retractable VESA arms and crating shelves for keybaord.
2. Adding sockets and desktop workspace.

I was debating between the pod model (as described above, a desk coming out of the wall that can seat four with maybe one 32" or 40" display the students can collaborate on, or doing a deep horseshoe shape against the wall and having a set up of staations that would include a microbit, soldering iron, raspberry pi, componenets etc etc.

I had a look at montiors built into desks I think they would be hard to work with long term. I am looking at the vesa mounts that screw into the desk as they are out of the way.

Agree on the points above - the traditional 'computer lab' design is terrible for computer science mainly becuase the room is taken up with PCs when you need space for projects. I see two absolute essentials for a computer science as being: 1. An organsied way to store equipment and projects. 2. A way of clearing deskspace by having the montiors wall mounted or on vesa stands that go on the back of the desk and maybe a shelf for KB and Mouse,

John Hegarty

Dec 2, 2021, 5:53:09 AM12/2/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Danny et al,

We have one general purpose computer room of the old style - put in as many computers as possible in a small space - a typing room in effect. I don't use that one.

We also have another space with two long narrow rooms that I get to play with and this is developing into a Computer Science/Maker space. Covid slowed things down but I am starting to reshape the space again to better meet our needs.

One issue I tackled during the summer (in a deliberately cheap and cheerful way) was a lack of storage space for bits and pieces and a need to have some computers for those who didn't have a suitable device for stuff we are doing in class and also provide spaces for students to use their own devices. We have a BYOD policy in the school but don't specify what device it should be. We generally don't use digital textbooks. We are a Google Workspace school so anything that supports that platform is suitable for class generally and in the computing classes I tend to use web based stuff (Snap!, Scratch, microblocks.fun, Makecode) that works on anything. The CS students are encouraged to have a laptop but can also use the Linux desktops in the CS Room. So I added a pile of Ikea boxes to the mix both on top of the desks and on the ground between desks. On top of the boxes on the desks I laid a few planks to take monitors so they don't take up desk space. Each space with a desktop can also be used for a laptop by just pushing the keyboard to the wall. Lots of extension cables for laptops etc. Between the monitors on the long shelf on the desk is pace for a lot more smaller Ikea boxes, storage jars etc. for all the bits and pieces I've been putting together over the last few years for Coding and CS

Attached are three pictures from 2013 when we took the one very long narrow room - a changing room from 1929 where students put on football boots - and split it into two long narrow classrooms with computers on narrow desks - old style computer room.
Pictures also attached of how the layout has changed to better suit coding and CS. When the new subjects came in, a new small computer room was put together elsewhere and I was given this space to play with. So it is no longer a computer room but a computing room - 2 rooms in fact but perhaps too long and narrow to be used as traditional classrooms. Each of the rooms by themselves was ok for a computer room but would be too small for a coding class of 24-26 students doing anything other than Scratch. Combined though we have enough space to make a much more interesting facility with a better variety of resources. The programmable embroidery machine is great for coding with TurtleStitch for example.

We don't have Technical Graphics or DCG in the school so I'll be trying to fill that space a bit too. Not really part of the Coding or Computer Science courses but we will incorporate it into those classes in some way. Perhaps some overlap with other STEAM activities. I asked for advice here on 3D printers and eventually ordered a Prusa one in kit form - last time I checked it was passing through the Netherlands :-)

Missing from the high shelves are a number of old computers we have as a museum archive of old technology. These were put into storage when we had to adapt the room for Covid last year and we took out everything but the bare essentials. Slowly moving everything back in - a work in progress and the place is far from tidy at the moment as we continue to make changes and have stuff piled up waiting for sorting.

jh

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/CAKJA_5HTgT86su_vQvoTzr3DLMbOpVpi2vPpPaJo1sN%3DgEwfQg%40mail.gmail.com.

Danny Murray

Dec 2, 2021, 6:14:04 AM12/2/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Wow that'd be great John!

John Hegarty

Dec 2, 2021, 7:11:25 AM12/2/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Apologies - Those images may not be accessible to all so put them here

jh

Imogen Bertin

Dec 2, 2021, 7:16:09 AM12/2/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
What a great record John! The old-style computer rooms remind me of the 1990s and trying to keep a whole room full of students "on the same page" as that was how we were supposed to "teach them computers". While making suitable admiring noises about the school/college's foresight in managing to even have any kind of computer room...!

--

Reagrove, Minane Bridge, Co. Cork, Ireland P17 KH32
Tel: +353 87 2655261 Email: imo...@ctc.ie

John Hegarty

Dec 2, 2021, 7:47:56 AM12/2/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Yep we were fierce pleased with ourselves for the remodelling job back in 2013 and it was a step in the right direction. Looking back, it wasn't designed with collaborative creative effort in mind. It perhaps suited our needs at the time where we were either teaching ICT skills or using the computers for other subject areas - typing rooms with Internet access.

A 4 minute slideshow showing the remodeling in progress from the time may be interesting to some https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-a5AAwfnhk note in particular - no open desk space, shelving or storage space of any kind - it wasn't even considered. It was very much cramming in as many computers into the space as we could.

Not suitable though for computer science or other more creative/collaborative use and no space for anything other than the desktop computers themselves. What we still lack is any tables that small groups can gather around and work together - the rooms are bit narrow for this with desks along both walls but ... a work in progress ...

jh

John Heffernan

Dec 2, 2021, 9:34:13 AM12/2/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
A few years ago, a friend of mine Emily Liebtag visited 100 innovative schools which focused on reimaging learning spaces and wrote a series of articles on what she found https://www.gettingsmart.com/page/2/?s=Emily+Liebtag. I can't remember exactly what the title of the articles were but you can find them on the website. There is a trove of advice and examples contained in her list.  also https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-100-school-visits-taught-us-year-tom-vander-ark

She wrote up a HQPBL report on Albemarle https://www.gettingsmart.com/2018/04/03/hq-pbl-case-study-albemarle-county-public-schools/ which might give some ides

Also have a look at High School High in San Diego-
I will dig out more when I have time

Power

Dec 2, 2021, 9:43:27 AM12/2/21
to CESI-list
This picture gives you a good idea of the advantage of VESA mounting the monitors if you want desk space for STEM (I haven't don't this yet its from LIT).

Greg Ashe

Dec 2, 2021, 9:50:25 AM12/2/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Useful in DCG Room too where desk space at a premium

NB Disclaimer Important: ​
Information in this email (including attachments) is confidential. It is intended for receipt and consideration only by the intended recipient. If you are not an addressee or intended recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, disclosure, publication or copying of information contained in this email is strictly prohibited. Opinions expressed in this email may be personal to the author and are not necessarily the opinions of Glenstal Abbey. If this email has been received by you in error we would be grateful if you could immediately notify the sender, and thereafter delete this e-mail from your system.  You are requested to carry out your own virus check before opening any attachment. The author and Glenstal Abbey accept no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by viruses, malware or malicious software.
​

CHY: 4001 I Charity Reg No: 20005283

Please consider the environment before printing this email.​
PXL_20211202_144834347.jpg

John Hegarty

Dec 2, 2021, 12:13:29 PM12/2/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Saw these in Birmingham University several years ago. The monitor mounts were a bit mad looking but the booths with the big LCD screen that a group could link a laptop to while they worked were nice places to work collaboratively. They had a number of these for use by students.

jh

20140620_084817.jpg
20140620_160209.jpg
20140620_084831.jpg

Power

Dec 3, 2021, 5:38:17 AM12/3/21
to CESI-list

John Heffernan

Dec 3, 2021, 9:30:53 AM12/3/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
I uploaded the photos I was on about into this folder https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mesdAFWNfzulSm3k5ds2Mz_TE0MZGAyO/view?usp=sharing

Team 19 and Team 20 class rationale which impacted on classroom design Team 19: Rapid innovation in Public School
https://vimeo.com/152765275 You will need to log into Vimeo to watch

John Heffernan

Dec 3, 2021, 9:33:48 AM12/3/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
If you can get your hands on Ira and Pam's book https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1119461693/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_eqsJBbAAG7EEH it will explain the rationale of classroom design  but I can take photos of the relevant classroom design chapter if you want

Cheers, all,

John Heffernan

Dec 3, 2021, 9:37:26 AM12/3/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

John Heffernan

Jan 11, 2022, 9:36:28 AM1/11/22
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
This wakelet list from Becky Keene is aimed more at esports room configuration but it might give some useful leads