Microsoft whiteboard

Cleona Mccann

Nov 17, 2021, 8:02:35 AM11/17/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I've noticed the feature to convert writing to text is no longer available on the whiteboard app. I'm lost without it. Has anyone any suggestions of alternatives or a way to get it back?

Thanks
Cleo

John Heffernan

Nov 18, 2021, 8:16:44 AM11/18/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/CAFp88HeD9ppTSaeVA4yydh3nrfHU7b74HSpwOL%2BMw%2BGB4THZxA%40mail.gmail.com.

Ann-Marie Lavery

Nov 18, 2021, 9:40:05 AM11/18/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi a chairde!

I am looking for some advice - Laptop vs Cromebook for Santa to bring to primary school aged children.
Some parents have been asking what would be of most use to the children now - but also as they move to secondary school in the coming years.
Does anyone have any insight?

Le meas,
Ann-Marie

Tony Mcgennis

Nov 18, 2021, 9:41:42 AM11/18/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Laptop

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

Paul Molamphy

Nov 18, 2021, 10:00:52 AM11/18/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Chromebook for ease of use for Primary age kids In my opinion.

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

Roisin Beaver

Nov 18, 2021, 1:05:47 PM11/18/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

I second laptop. More functionality/possibilities.

Best wishes,

Róisín

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

Sheila Jennings

Nov 18, 2021, 1:13:28 PM11/18/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
….I agree with Roisín, many more possibilities with laptop. My pupils always choose laptop over chromebook for daily classroom use.
 Kind regards,
Sheila

--
Sheila Jennings
Lehinch N.S

G P Ashe

Nov 18, 2021, 2:35:33 PM11/18/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
From a management perspective Chromebook without a doubt

Paul de Lacy

Nov 19, 2021, 8:23:31 AM11/19/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Is budget an issue?

If so then getting a Chromebook that will last the test of time (provided it has a long auto update expiry date.  See https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en for more on the longevity of every Chromebook model) would be a more reasonable expense.  Of course you can also get touchscreen flip top Chromebooks which add a lot of flexibility/useability.

As an aside: Sheila:  I would be interested in hearing more about the flexibility you see offered by MS Windows laptops at primary.  We recently gratefully received a donation of Windows laptops (Thanks CESI list!).  Most of them will be converted to Chromebooks with Neverware Cloudready as they are older/slower but two of them are newer and more powerful and I'm considering keeping them as Windows 10 devices - should I and why?

Back to the OP - If the local secondary school is a Google Workspace (G-Suite) school then a Chromebook potentially fits in very well.  If it is an ETB secondary school they are most likely to be Windows/Microsoft focused.  So horses for courses perhaps.  One proviso - reasonable internet is essential for Chromebooks or else larger onboard storage would be required than is provided in most standard models.

As can be seen from Simon's recent post, Chromebooks are coming closer to being suitable for full-time teacher use so they are certainly catching up.

My own feeling is that a higher end Chromebook would be better than an equivalently priced laptop in terms of longevity.

All the best

Paul

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

Paul de Lacy
Special Education Teacher
Balla National School
Balla
Castlebar
Co Mayo
Ireland

Sheila Jennings

Nov 19, 2021, 11:10:05 AM11/19/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

It’s down to personal preference mainly for us but off the top of my head, maybe some reasons why:-

A more friendly user interface.
Not being 100% dependent on an internet connection.
Ease of configuration to printers.
Ability to install software and download offline editors.
My chrome books don’t have USB ports, so connection of external devices is not an option.
There are old yet effective teaching resources/aids that require CD/DVD installation of software.

Also good in my opinion to expose young people to choice of devices so that they can make informed decisions around preference of devices for their own personal needs.

That said, chrome books are an affordable option with all Google apps for education to hand. However, I don’t think any one device fits it all. I think there’s a worthy place for both Apple and Windows platforms in any classroom not to mention Raspberry Pis.

Best wishes,
Sheila

Paul de Lacy

Nov 22, 2021, 5:41:14 AM11/22/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sheila,

I 100% agree on the benefits of exposing our pupils to a variety of operating systems/platforms.  For that reason I think I will keep a couple of the laptops as MS devices.  And, as you say, it will allow us to install/use some older software as necessary.

All the best

Paul

Power

Dec 2, 2021, 9:50:45 AM12/2/21
to CESI-list
Hello Sheila,

Geuinely curious what model Chromebooks you have that don't have USB ports? I wasn't aware any every shipped without at least a USB C or A port?

Sheila Jennings

Dec 2, 2021, 1:23:48 PM12/2/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hello…, you’re right, it does have one but it doesn’t work.  Apologies, should’ve said  “working usb port”
Sheila