R4 PatientSearch response

Rui Wang

Mar 10, 2020, 1:58:08 PM3/10/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Team,

(1) I noticed that sometimes the search response returns a bundle with the total property in it but sometimes not.
Here is the query that returns a bundle which does not have the total property.
https://fhir-ehr.sandboxcerner.com/r4/0b8a0111-e8e6-4c26-a91c-5069cbc6b1ca/Patient?family=s I do see patients are returned in this scenario.
Can you clarify when the total property is expected to not included?  We are reading this property in our application to indicating if patient found or not. Based on my testing, if I only provide Let me know if this is not a good property to look at.
(2) Is it possible that the result returned from the API will contain both bundle resource and operation outcome resource ? For example, the API does found patients and returns 200 response, but in the response it include the patients found and also include an operation outcome resource to indicate additional information. Just wanted to understand if this is ever going to happen so I can handle it correctly.

Thanks
Rui

Benjamin Eichhorn (Cerner)

Mar 11, 2020, 3:00:39 PM3/11/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Rui,

Using the total is not a reliable way of determining if a patient was found or not. You should check the entries in the bundle instead. Unfortunately we are relatively inconsistent at this time in returning it or not returning it.

As of today, we do not return an OperationOutcome within the bundle, you will receive OperationOutcomes alone not included alongside other resources.

Thanks,
Ben (Cerner)

Rui Wang

Mar 11, 2020, 3:12:01 PM3/11/20