a question about non coding RNA sequencing data

Julia Sidorova

Jan 11, 2023, 9:27:42 AM1/11/23
to cbiop...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

it may be a naive question, but here it goes: we are interested in accessing  RNA expression levels of pericentric satellites OR satellite DNA copy number in the TCGA datasets. We want to compare the levels of SAT transcripts or SAT copy numbers in cancers vi-a-vis a the level of the protein ATAD2. The question is, are non coding RNA reads and/or repetitive DNA reads mapped in a typical dataset? And if not, can we download ALL reads and do our own mapping? We are specifically interested in the 594 sample Colorectal Adenocarcinoma Pancancer Atlas dataset.

Thank you,

Julia

debr...@mskcc.org

Jan 13, 2023, 9:07:32 AM1/13/23
to jul...@uw.edu, cbiop...@googlegroups.com

Hi Julia,

Thanks for reaching out!

Just a caveat: I am not very familiar with satellite analysis but I will try to give an answer. There are some non-coding RNA genes in the TCGA Pancan dataset of cBioPortal, see e.g. MALAT1. So you can maybe confirm by querying some of the SAT transcripts you are interested in.

If they are not available, one could check if the SAT transcript expression or copy numbers are provided in the datafiles on GDC somewhere. Only if they are not there one could indeed try to download the reads and do your own mapping. The sequencing reads can be downloaded on GDC as well

Hope that helps a bit! Hoping anyone else on the mailing list can chime in with additional information

Thanks!

Ino

*** Only open attachments or links from trusted senders. Report phishing to inf...@mskcc.org ***

Please note that this e-mail and any files transmitted from
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center may be privileged, confidential,
and protected from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of
you are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination, distribution,
copying, or other use of this communication or any of its attachments
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message
and deleting this message, any attachments, and all copies and backups
from your computer.