Exporting transparent views from 3D Viewer

Marcel Sayre

Jun 11, 2020, 3:36:28 AM6/11/20
to CATMAID
Hi all,

I'm having some difficulty exporting transparent views from the 3D Viewer. I have the "background" opacity set to 0 and I am notified that the image will have a transparent background by CATMAID (when I export as .PNG), however the resulting image still has an opaque background. On a related but separate note, when I export as .SVG the neurons are flattened and lose their dimensionality. I'm assuming this is normal behavior since the image is being vectorized?

Thanks for any input and am happy to provide further details.
Cheers,
Marcel

Tom Kazimiers

Jun 15, 2020, 5:01:57 PM6/15/20
to cat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marcel,

Thanks for the bug report, I couldn't get transparent backgrounds to
work either when exporting PNG export from the 3D Viewer either and
create a GitHub issue here:

https://github.com/catmaid/CATMAID/issues/2015

And you are right about the assumption that the flattened SVG export is
normal behavior, because SVG is a 2D format. If you want nicer 3D
renderings and more export options, you should have a look at Philipp
Schlegel's nice CATMAID-to-Blender plugin for Blender:

https://github.com/schlegelp/CATMAID-to-Blender

It can talk directly to the CATMAID API and load skeletons and meshes
from it.

Best,
Tom

Marcel Sayre

Jun 18, 2020, 9:05:34 AM6/18/20
to CATMAID
Hey Tom,

Thanks for posting that issue, and for your suggestion regarding Philipp's plugin! I had no idea this existed, super cool!

All the best,
Marcel

Tom Kazimiers

Nov 18, 2020, 2:14:59 PM11/18/20
to cat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marcel,

I just had another look at the problem of exporting PNG images with a
transparent background from CATMAID's 3D Viewer. This is fixed now in
the current development version and will be part of the next release.

Regardless of the background color, the PNG export dialog now provides
an option to select whether or not to make the background transparent.
At least in my tests this now allows me to export PNGs with a
transparent background.

Cheers,
Tom
>> email to cat...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.

marcel...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2020, 4:12:34 AM11/22/20
to CATMAID
Hey Tom,

that's great to hear, thanks for following up on this!

Cheers,
Marcel