Crack in Gelcoat on non-skid foredeck

PM

Nov 11, 2021, 9:10:33 PM11/11/21
to Catalina355
Recently I noticed a fine crack about 4" long on the foredeck starboard side just in front of the mast. (see attached pictures) I have a highly recomended Gelcoat guy working on the repair.  He has removed some of the surrounding gelcoat and found some of the underlying material is wet (see attached pictures). Presumbaly, we need solid dry material to attach the new material to?  Has anyone had experience with dealing with this kind of repair that may shine a light on the subject?
Would be greatful for and input.

Cheers Paul
# 37 hull
20210919_090732_resized(1).jpg
20211109_124520_resized.jpg
20210919_090728_resized(1).jpg
20211109_124534_resized_1.jpg

Juan Galan

Nov 11, 2021, 9:21:05 PM11/11/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Yes I have had similar problems in other boats, mostly powerboats.
You have to carve out the wet stuff, dry it all [maybe a heat lamp, if you are up north- not too close as you could start a fire], and then refill it and finish with non-skid pattern[probably hardest part].
I have had it done but I do not know how to work with it! I have a really good gelcoat lady but she is usually booked months in advance - the expert ones usually are!!
Your boat being hull #37 is probably 10 years old or close to that, so not too surprising?? Sometimes a drop of something can create a crack you do not see and after some rain, etc. it starts rotting below and eventually makes the crack visible.
You might want to check with Catalina as to what material was used in cabin top - balsa wood; airex core; dyvinicell??
Good Luck!

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Catalina355 group. To post to this group, send email to catal...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to catalina355...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/catalina355?hl=en

If changing the topic, please start a new message and send to catal...@googlegroups.com, rather than clicking "reply" to an existing message.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Catalina355" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catalina355/9d71823d-afc8-4405-8cc1-89618df08e31n%40googlegroups.com.

Ken Kloeber

Nov 11, 2021, 9:24:32 PM11/11/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Paul

Is the substrate simply wet (due to the compromised surface)?

Or is the substrate soft, deteriorated, unsound, because it HAD  gotten wet (through the crack above.)

Or had the surface crack occured due to the substrate previously getting wet and swelling (water migrating from elsewhere)?

Three very different situations.

Ken K

Sent from my phone

On Nov 11, 2021, at 9:10 PM, PM <paulbw...@bell.net> wrote:

[...]

PM

Nov 11, 2021, 9:39:35 PM11/11/21
to Catalina355
Ken, I believe it is the second  situation you are describing. You will notice in the one picture where my finger is pointing to brownish hole that soft and where you feel the moisture.

Miajag,
I have sent a mail to Warren Pandy at the factory, waiting for a response.

Thanks

PM

Nov 11, 2021, 10:07:57 PM11/11/21
to Catalina355
to add to my last response if you look at the details of 355 construction they mention
  • "Fiberqlass Deck End Grain Balsa Core with Bonded Full Fiberglass Headliner"
not sure what that fully entails? hopping Warren can enlighten me.
The one spot that feels soft and wet almost feels like fiberglass insulation.

Ken Kloeber

Nov 11, 2021, 10:08:07 PM11/11/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Paul

In that case, IIWMB, I'd dry out the compromised substrate and scrape out any punky fiberglass (using a heat gun or vacuum bagging -- depending of course on the amount of deterioration, how wet it is, etc., which is impossible to speak intelligently about from afar.)  Or likely cut out soft, damaged area -- and then dry out what's left -- it really depends on the individual situation.  Fill with resin/microfibers; gel coat.

Nov 12, 2021, 12:14:11 AM11/12/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
This is a little extreme compared to your situation -- here's a pic of a C30 with a severe wet deck (under the mast step) undergoing some vacuuming to dry out the core before the repair.

Full = full coverage of a fiberglass liner (lower production cost), opposed to a boat that might have a partial fiberglass liner and part plywood or other liner, or no fiberglass liner (J/120 - that has a separate plywood headliner in each area of the boat,) etc.

-Ken

Sent: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:15 PM
To: Catalina355
Subject: Re: [Catalina 355:4323] Crack in Gelcoat on non-skid foredeck

vacuum pump.jpg

STEWART SMITH

Nov 12, 2021, 8:52:05 AM11/12/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com, PM
I am not sure if the cabin top is cored like the deck. I had a similar issue at the weather deck at the starboard boarding gate. Cracking and when tapped with a rubber mallet indicated a void. This was when the boat was only less than a year old (2013 model). I contacted Catalina and was told that this defect was not covered under warrantee and was a normal situation and easily remedied by drilling 2 small holes above the affected area and forcing fiberglass resin into one of the holes until it came out the other. This did take care of the issue. I lightly tapped all over the rest of the weather deck looking for additional problem areas and found none. Stu Smith #80