Comp prices for recent sales or purchases of Catalina 355

Bill Mills

Nov 25, 2021, 7:42:47 PM11/25/21
to Catalina355
Anyone have any good comps for a Catalina 355, 2011 or 2012?  What would be a reasonable price for a Catalina 355 in good condition with no AC and in need of a bottom job and Bimini/dodger fabric re-skin?

ken magida

Nov 26, 2021, 9:41:15 AM11/26/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
There are very few 355’s that appear but the number I see most often is $160,000

Ken
Sent from my iPhone
An allegedly smart device

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Catalina355 group. To post to this group, send email to catal...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to catalina355...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/catalina355?hl=en

If changing the topic, please start a new message and send to catal...@googlegroups.com, rather than clicking "reply" to an existing message.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Catalina355" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catalina355/cac8fd7e-d819-41c7-9137-5d4139f1db18n%40googlegroups.com.

Ernie Bubb

Nov 26, 2021, 10:26:13 AM11/26/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
I bought my 2011 Catalina 355 last year for $150k, but this was very well equipped, recent bottom paint, AC, solar, upgraded batteries, and Davits   So I would think more like $140k if less well equipped. That said, there were very few on the market when I bought, so supply/demand will have significant role.

Happy sailing.

Regards,

Ernie

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 26, 2021, at 9:41 AM, ken magida <kensa...@outlook.com> wrote:

 There are very few 355’s that appear but the number I see most often is $160,000

Juan Galan

Nov 26, 2021, 12:10:23 PM11/26/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
A brand new 2019 with bow thruster, AC, TV, furling jib/main & full canvas delivered to Miami from NJ in August 2020 was $249K. Thus, they hold their value fairly well and if they are scarce, even more.
Ask your broker to give you the data from Soldboats on Boat Wizard. That is the most accurate data you can get.

Zach Smith

Nov 26, 2021, 12:28:56 PM11/26/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
I got bought my used 2019 Catalina 355 "Smalle Boat" for $230k in Aug 2020. Came pretty well equipped: aircon, tv, bowthruster, electric winch. Been a big fan so far.

Upgraded to 600Ah of LFP batteries and a 3000w inverter so I can run the aircon at anchor for a few hours before bed.  Also added radar and AIS since I am dodging fishing boats and oil rigs in Texas.

Bob Story

Nov 26, 2021, 10:33:06 PM11/26/21
to Catalina355
Yacht World is showing several 2011/12 C355s around USD 175k+.

-Bob.

Evan DeLucia

Jan 5, 2022, 6:57:43 PM1/5/22
to Catalina355
Sorry to join in late, but three years ago when I bought Balmoral prices ranged from 169990 (2011) to 209900 (2017). I was able to get asking price and sale price for 11 used boats. The interesting thing sale prices were only 4.4% lower than asking price. Hard to negotiate on these boats!

bill pittore

Juan Galan

Jan 10, 2022, 6:24:27 PM1/10/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Folks, the bible on boat prices is Soldboats from Boat Wizard!
If your broker does not have access to that - change brokers!

bill pittore

Mar 9, 2022, 11:05:52 PM3/9/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Zach,
 When you run the A/C did you have to install any sort of soft start device on the compressor or does the inverter handle the startup current? I have LiFeP as well and was toying with the idea of running the A/C/heat as well. I have a Multiplus 3kw inverter.

Thanks,
Bill

Zach Smith

Mar 11, 2022, 2:39:56 AM3/11/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
I tried a soft start on the AC and then installed the inverter after. It should be able to handle it no problem though, the victron 3000w can do 5000w peak for short periods, no problem.

bill pittore

Mar 11, 2022, 9:18:27 AM3/11/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
So do you still have the soft start on the A/C? I was thinking of getting the EasyStart device but if I could avoid it (another $300) I would.  I guess I’ll just have to try it and see if it works without the soft start. Right now I don’t have the A/C circuit connected to the inverter so I have to add that first.

Bill

Eric Carnell

Mar 11, 2022, 10:07:36 AM3/11/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill,

While I don’t have an inverter on my 355, I can run the A/C with a Honda 2200 W generator without a soft start capacitor. I would hook up your inverter without soft start first. My guess is it will work fine.

Eric Carnell
Solstice, 126

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 11, 2022, at 9:18 AM, bill pittore <bill.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

So do you still have the soft start on the A/C? I was thinking of getting the EasyStart device but if I could avoid it (another $300) I would.  I guess I’ll just have to try it and see if it works without the soft start. Right now I don’t have the A/C circuit connected to the inverter so I have to add that first.

Ernie Bubb

Mar 12, 2022, 9:12:00 AM3/12/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Eric-

I purchased my 355 (At Ease II) in July ‘21 and have been considering getting the Honda 2200 to run AC during hot months on the Chesapeake. Quick questions - how loud do you find the generator below deck, especially in aft cabin.  Is that cabin still usable with the generator running?  Where do you put the generator when not in use?

Thanks,

Ernie

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 11, 2022, at 10:07 AM, Eric Carnell <neca...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Bill,

STEWART SMITH

Mar 12, 2022, 10:12:14 AM3/12/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com

I do not have AC on board but do carry a Honda 2000 generator. when in use I put it on top of the doghouse just forward of the companion way hatch cover. When stowed it fits under the port side chart table. I put a piece of Shamwa (sp) material at each end of the generator to prevent scratching the head bulkhead and the port satee. Fits perfectly under all conditions so far. I also keep a 25' electrical cord coiled to connect the stern dock power outlet to the genset when in use. The cord just sits on top of the generator under the chart table. Stu Smith Pelican #80

Ernie Bubb

Mar 12, 2022, 10:28:51 AM3/12/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Very helpful.

Sent from my iPad

Eric Carnell

Mar 13, 2022, 9:05:02 AM3/13/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ernie,
The generator fits perfectly under the center aft seat at the helm. I bought the Honda grey cloth cover so it doesn’t attract thieves at an anchorage (very incognito compared to red). It is quiet for a generator at 62 db but I still don’t like the noise in the cockpit. I have never (and probably will never) run it while sleeping below due to fear of carbon monoxide. I think its use should be limited to cooling off the cabin for an hour or two, running the microwave or charging the battery. I do have a CO detector but still don’t take chances with that.

--N. Eric Carnell

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 12, 2022, at 10:28 AM, Ernie Bubb <erni...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks. Very helpful.

Ernie Bubb

Mar 13, 2022, 10:57:28 AM3/13/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Excellent. Thanks.

Ernie

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 13, 2022, at 9:05 AM, Eric Carnell <neca...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Ernie,

David Mills

Mar 13, 2022, 11:59:17 AM3/13/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Eric, what do you use for a connection to your shore power. Do you use a pigtail from the generator into both shore power outlets or can your A/C run via a single 30 amp shore power connection? I have not yet checked out the Honda generator to see what outlet connections it has.

Thanks.

Dave Mills
Island Time II
Hull 56

On Mar 13, 2022, at 9:05 AM, Eric Carnell <neca...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Ernie,

STEWART SMITH

Mar 13, 2022, 2:04:32 PM3/13/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com, David Mills
David, I saw your post with Eric and thought I would pass on info I have acquired. 1) Honda does not recommend pig tail on generator. 2) I do not know what Honda you have but I am using the 2000i.There are 2 varients of this and maybe for the 2200 i dont know. The 2000 comes as a regular genset which is of no use on our boats. the second varient is called "the companion" it is equipped with a regular 30 amp connection in addition to the normal one. This one, using a regular dock power cable, connects to the stern electric access port. I run a 25", could be shorter, power cord from the stern electric input to my "companion Honda 2000i" which I place on top of the doghouse forward of the companion way hatch housing. Both the 2000 and 2000 companion are the same dimentions. When not in use they fit perfectly under the chart table out of sight and mind. Hope this is of some help. Stu Smith Pelican #80

David Mills

Mar 13, 2022, 4:20:38 PM3/13/22
to STEWART SMITH, catal...@googlegroups.com
Just what I needed. I am a bit surprised to hear that the A/C will run on the single 30 amp circuit, but that's great. Thanks, Stu.

Dave

On Mar 13, 2022, at 2:04 PM, STEWART SMITH <stusm...@cox.net> wrote:

[...]

bill pittore

Mar 13, 2022, 9:28:43 PM3/13/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
That's good to go know. I'll just have to try it I guess.

Bill

Delbert Patterson

Mar 14, 2022, 8:45:46 AM3/14/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com, David Mills
Stu

Wben you store your Honda Companion under the chart table, you are effectively storing gasoline in an enclosed space.  Not a good idea.

Del Patterson

STEWART SMITH

Mar 14, 2022, 8:53:36 AM3/14/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com, Delbert Patterson, David Mills
Del, I never fill the tank to full and run it out prior to take down. When storing for longer periods of time I even drain the carb but thanks for the heads up

STEWART SMITH

Mar 14, 2022, 8:57:44 AM3/14/22
to David Mills, catal...@googlegroups.com

Dave, that was not me. I do not have an A/C

Delbert Patterson

Mar 14, 2022, 9:19:24 AM3/14/22
to STEWART SMITH, catal...@googlegroups.com
It's even more surprising when you consider that the " 30 amp" circuit can deliver no more that 15 amps continuous because that is all that the 2000i can produce.

Del

Delbert Patterson

Mar 14, 2022, 9:27:34 AM3/14/22
to STEWART SMITH, catal...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps ABYC is grossly over specifying the power inlet requirements for air-conditioned sail boats?

Del

Eric Carnell

Mar 14, 2022, 9:29:06 AM3/14/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
I use a heavy gauge pigtail (only 10’) that the prior owner had made with SmartPlug on one end and a standard 3-prong 15/20 amp plug on the other. It plugs into the 20 amp receptacle on Honda 2200i. I plug the SmartPlug end into Main when charging battery or using microwave.  When running A/C I plug the SmartPlug end into boat Aux input. My 16,000 btu Pompanette does not draw 30amps. 20 amps is fine.  The owner’s manual does not list current draw. But compressor is wired with only 12 Ga wire and pump is wired with 16 Ga wire (1/4 hp motor). The “run capacitor” shown on the Pompanette wiring diagram seems to be sufficient for allowing the A/C to start up. I have been told that it will not work if generator is switched to “eco mode”.

--N. Eric Carnell

Sent from my iPhone

Eric Carnell

Mar 14, 2022, 9:35:01 AM3/14/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Dave, Photo of the 20 amp receptacles on my Honda 2200i.

--N. Eric Carnell

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 14, 2022, at 9:29 AM, Eric Carnell <neca...@gmail.com> wrote:

I use a heavy gauge pigtail (only 10’) that the prior owner had made with SmartPlug on one end and a standard 3-prong 15/20 amp plug on the other. It plugs into the 20 amp receptacle on Honda 2200i. I plug the SmartPlug end into Main when charging battery or using microwave.  When running A/C I plug the SmartPlug end into boat Aux input. My 16,000 btu Pompanette does not draw 30amps. 20 amps is fine.  The owner’s manual does not list current draw. But compressor is wired with only 12 Ga wire and pump is wired with 16 Ga wire (1/4 hp motor). The “run capacitor” shown on the Pompanette wiring diagram seems to be sufficient for allowing the A/C to start up. I have been told that it will not work if generator is switched to “eco mode”.

David Mills

Mar 14, 2022, 11:39:56 AM3/14/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
All very helpful info from all. I have some more research to do. Thanks very much.

On Mar 14, 2022, at 9:35 AM, Eric Carnell <neca...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dave, Photo of the 20 amp receptacles on my Honda 2200i.

Michael Green

Mar 14, 2022, 1:21:10 PM3/14/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com

I think Del raises a really good point.  Just a drop or two can vaporize into fumes that can become explosive.

Mike

Jim Schilling

Mar 14, 2022, 1:51:34 PM3/14/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike, et al!

When we were outfitting our 355 we added an external locker for the Honda on the stern and it worked really well for either the A/C or the main when away from the dock. Photo attached. It was made from starboard. Good luck, all!

--
Jim Schilling
1978 E. Palisades Rd.