Summer cruise

Evan DeLucia

Nov 20, 2021, 4:35:27 PM11/20/21
to Catalina355
We took our 355 from Provincetown Cape Cod to Mount Desert Island Maine this past summer - 29 day trip round trip. It was our second summer with Balmoral. She preformed beautifully. Though I need to add radar/ais. Any recommendations? If you'd like to see the trip, check out sv_balmoral on instagram.

bill pittore

Nov 20, 2021, 7:10:07 PM11/20/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Evan,
 Checked out your instagram. What a great trip. I keep my 355 up in Portland, ME and hit some of the same places this past summer. We cruised up to Southwest Harbor in June. In August made a short trip out to Monhegan. Endless number of places to see in Maine.

BTW, I hauled my boat at Boston Shipyard and Marina as well. I live in Lexington so it’s really nice to have it close by.

Bill

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Catalina355 group. To post to this group, send email to catal...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to catalina355...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/catalina355?hl=en

If changing the topic, please start a new message and send to catal...@googlegroups.com, rather than clicking "reply" to an existing message.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Catalina355" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catalina355/05f3a7b1-200d-456a-b38d-2b839ac01c43n%40googlegroups.com.

ken magida

Nov 21, 2021, 9:33:49 AM11/21/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
We are planning our third trip to Maine this summer from Long Island Sound.  I did a zoom presentation of my trip for my yacht club which you can access at www.nsyc.net At the top, click on 'Sailing', then click on 'Ken & Arlene 2019 Maine Cruise'.
I would love to see yours but do not subscribe to Instagram. Is there another way to access it.
As for your question about electronics - I am a believer in keeping things simple so all of my electronics are Raymarine. I am most familiar with their product and since the boat came with the basic Raymarine instruments and service is so easy to obtain, I decided not to mix and match. Everything works seamlessly together. Of course, it all dates back to 2012/3, when the boat was commissioned, except the AIS transponder which we added about 5 years ago, so it is now old school. We also have PLB's installed in our pfd's to give us a comfort factor in the event one of us goes overboard,

Ken

Ken Magida
Forever Young #46
Port Washington, New York 11050
Nov 21, 2021, 7:39:47 PM11/21/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bill,

  We’ll have to meet up at the Boston Shipyard before you splash in the spring.  We’ll be staying there (hopefully) again this coming summer, but are tucked into our own winter storage slot up at the Newburyport Yacht Club on the Merrimack River in Newburyport, MA now.

It would be great to meet up with any C355 owners in the greater Southern Maine/Boston/Cape/Buzzards Bay area of New England next season!

We would really love to cruise further up in Maine, but have only made it up as far as Harpswell over the past 21 years.  Mount Desert Island has always been one of our goals.

Cheers!

-Jeff & Michelle Hare

C355 #17 Solstice

ken magida

Nov 22, 2021, 8:31:25 AM11/22/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
We would love to meet up with you as well when we pass through.

Ken Magida
Forever Young #46
Sent from my iPad,
An intelligent device which corrects my typing.

bill pittore

Nov 22, 2021, 12:37:56 PM11/22/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Definitely should try to get together at some point. If the temp is near 60 I’ll probably be working on the boat. If not this winter then certainly in the spring. I’d be open to some sort of meet up next season as well if the logistics work out.

Bill

bill pittore

Nov 22, 2021, 2:41:07 PM11/22/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Evan,
 I installed the Vesper Marine XB-8000 AIS unit along with the Vesper VHF splitter. The AIS unit I mounted behind the electrical panel:

The splitter I installed in the space behind the panel that the VHF radio is mounted on. It has worked great so far. It interfaces with the various devices I have on board either through it’s built in WiFi or via NMEA 2000 output that is connected into Raymarine SeaTalkng network. It also has NMEA 0183 output that I connected to the iCOM VHF radio so that the radio can get GPS position. It has an external GPS antenna that I mounted on the solar arch.

As for radar, I picked up a refurb Raymarine Quantum 2 Q24D Doppler unit from Defender for around $1400. It’s interfaced with a Raymarine Axiom 9. So far it’s been working great. It connects wirelessly to the Axiom.

Bill

On Nov 20, 2021, at 4:35 PM, Evan DeLucia <deluc...@gmail.com> wrote:

We took our 355 from Provincetown Cape Cod to Mount Desert Island Maine this past summer - 29 day trip round trip. It was our second summer with Balmoral. She preformed beautifully. Though I need to add radar/ais. Any recommendations? If you'd like to see the trip, check out sv_balmoral on instagram.

Mike Maksimchuk

Nov 23, 2021, 1:01:34 PM11/23/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Evan;

We have a DigitalYacht Nucleus (AIT3000) on both of our vessels, and I love it.  (We ended up with a second boat after my father-in-law passed, and haven't sold it yet).  It is a rugged, all-in-one solution.  It has an antenna splitter, AIS module, and WiFi connectivity all built in.  Fairly easy to install, and interfaces with either NMEA2000 or a WiFi data stream (TCP/IP) to your favorite tablet-based chartplotter.  We use iNavX with the Navionics charts for sailing in the Great Lakes.

E-mail me directly if you want to discuss further; mtma...@mtu.edu

Mike Maksimchuk
Catalina 355 #94, Amadeus
Catalina 34 #880, Sisu

Mike Maksimchuk
295 Indian Bluffs NE | Sparta, MI 49345
email: mtma...@mtu.edu

On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 4:35 PM Evan DeLucia <deluc...@gmail.com> wrote:
We took our 355 from Provincetown Cape Cod to Mount Desert Island Maine this past summer - 29 day trip round trip. It was our second summer with Balmoral. She preformed beautifully. Though I need to add radar/ais. Any recommendations? If you'd like to see the trip, check out sv_balmoral on instagram.

Evan DeLucia

Nov 23, 2021, 3:39:10 PM11/23/21
to Catalina355
Bill, I'm sure I'll see you at BHSM this spring. We usually drive out from Illinois and stay with my sister locally while we get her ready for summer. Cheers, Evan

Evan DeLucia

Nov 23, 2021, 3:44:02 PM11/23/21
to Catalina355
Thanks for the guidance re electronics, Ken. Don't know how share instagram without subscribing. I looked but not apparent. BTW, couldn't find the link to your presentation. no "ken and arlene" when I hit the sailing tab.

bill pittore

Nov 23, 2021, 3:46:32 PM11/23/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
When I bought the boat a couple of years ago it was at a marina in NJ. I thought that was a long drive, 6 hrs. Illinois is a bit farther.

Bill