Wikipedia "Comparison of data-serialization formats" entry

Niels Andersen

Sep 29, 2022, 2:45:55 PM9/29/22
to Cap'n Proto
It would be great if someone could add Cap'n Proto to this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_data-serialization_formats - I don't have enough knowledge to do it.

Kenton Varda

Sep 29, 2022, 7:49:22 PM9/29/22
to Niels Andersen, Cap'n Proto
It used to be there, but someone removed it, with the comment "clean list of less notable formats".

At the time, there was no stand-alone Cap'n Proto article. It's possible the editor decided that anything not notable enough to have its own article should be removed from the table.

Since that time, it looks like someone added an article:

So maybe it makes sense to restore the row in the table now?

I suspect Wikipedia rules prohibit me from doing this personally.

-Kenton

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 1:45 PM Niels Andersen <niels.an...@gmail.com> wrote:
It would be great if someone could add Cap'n Proto to this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_data-serialization_formats - I don't have enough knowledge to do it.

Christophe Alexandre

Oct 16, 2022, 6:45:20 AM10/16/22
to Cap'n Proto
I took the initiative to restore/add the Cap'n Proto line.
Please tell me if everything is correct and if there are references to add.
Thanks
Christophe

Kenton Varda

Oct 17, 2022, 10:15:20 AM10/17/22
to Christophe Alexandre, Cap'n Proto
Thanks.

FWIW I'd argue that Cap'n Proto should have a "no" under "Supports references?". Although the binary encoding uses pointers, implementations generally forbid the message structure to be anything other than tree-shaped. You're not supposed to ever have multiple pointers pointing at the same object, even if it's technically possible to encode, because (among other things) supporting duplicate references and cycles would make the copy algorithm much more complicated.

-Kenton

Christophe Alexandre

Oct 17, 2022, 11:53:34 AM10/17/22
to Kenton Varda, Cap'n Proto
Done.
I can eventually add your phrase below as a note. What do you think ?

Christophe

Christophe Alexandre

Oct 17, 2022, 1:08:02 PM10/17/22
to Cap'n Proto
I took the initiative to restore the Cap'n Proto line. Please tell me if anything is wrong or if you want me to add references.

Thanks
Christophe

Christophe Alexandre

Oct 17, 2022, 1:08:26 PM10/17/22
to Cap'n Proto
I took the initiative to add/restore the Cap'n Proto line.
Please tell me if anything is wrong of if more links/references are needed.

Thanks
Christophe

Kenton Varda

Oct 17, 2022, 1:11:55 PM10/17/22
to Christophe Alexandre, Cap'n Proto
(Oops, your emails weren't going through from this address because they were landing in the Google Groups moderation queue. I just went and cleared it out (resulting in these dupes, sorry) and allowlisted this address so it won't be moderated in the future.)

-Kenton