Re: What happened to the 20" Cassegrain-Newt 9 years ago?

Francois-Marie Patorni

Aug 4, 2019, 1:08:23 PM8/4/19
to capital-city-...@googlegroups.com, rlsl...@aol.com

You might be wrong, BUT … I have the same recollection, hearing that it was taken south.

Bob Slusher was handling communication with Joe Hovarth, maybe he remembers. I do not know if Bob is on the club’s mailing list, so I cc this message to his old email address.

FM

From: "capital-city-...@googlegroups.com" <capital-city-...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Sunday, August 4, 2019 at 12:18 AM
To: "capital-city-...@googlegroups.com" <capital-city-...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: <john.w...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: What happened to the 20" Cassegrain-Newt 9 tears ago?

I could be wrong.  I was wrong once.  Peter is probably correct.

On ‎Saturday‎, ‎3‎ ‎August‎, ‎2019‎ ‎00‎:‎46‎:‎46‎ ‎MDT, 'BCJ' via Capital City Astronomy Club <capital-city-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I do remember the scope.  We had limited time to possess it because the guy was selling the house and we didn't really have a way to move the scope and the dome as that was part of the deal so it went to someplace like one of the towns down highway 285 and I-25 area, or on further south, even.

On ‎Friday‎, ‎2‎ ‎August‎, ‎2019‎ ‎14‎:‎23‎:‎50‎ ‎MDT, Francois-Marie Patorni <fmpa...@earthlink.net> wrote:

Dear Santa Fe astromers,

Most of you will remember our failed attempt - 9 years ago - to acquire the 20 inch telescope, all handmade by Joe Horvath (I still have all the emails and correspondence about this). In the end, the telescope was acquired by some other group.

Would you know where is the telescope now?

The reason I am asking is as follows.

I was yesterday in Magdalena, visiting John W. Briggs’ Astronomical Lyceum in Magdalena (the most extraordinary place in the universe for telescope lovers). The occasion was the live-streaming of a workshop on Advanced Telescope Making at the Stellafane Convention.

I mentioned the story of Joe’s scope to John, and told him I will try to find out.

All my best,

François-Marie

From: PATORNI François-Marie <fmpa...@earthlink.net>
Date: Monday, October 25, 2010 at 9:50 AM
To: "capital-city-...@googlegroups.com" <capital-city-...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: RE: Free 20" Cassegrain-Newt

4 or 5 years ago I met an old man with failing eyesight and a dying wife on route 14 trying to sell or give away to good home (such as a non-profit or astronomy club) a huge 20inches. It could be the same one. He was a retired Swiss clock maker, I think. He built it entirely himself (mirrors, trusses, clock drive etc., yes, everything) with parts from the Los Alamos black hole.  A truly amazing instrument (I tried it once under the stars, seemed OK but a bit fiddly to operate because it is huge).  The scope sits under a large handbuilt wooden dome and on a massive concrete foundation.

If this is it, it could be an extraordinary club project. Using this scope gives you the feel on being Mr. Hubble and puts you in primordial contact with visual astronomy: star gazing with emotions, a truly visceral experience!  At the time I did not get it because although the old man offered to help me move and set it, it was overwhelming. We would need a crane and a truck to take it, and of course a new place (cowboyshed?).

I highly recommend that you pursue the matter.

François-Marie

--------------------------------

François-Marie Patorni

505-984-9125

Aug 4, 2019, 1:17:32 PM8/4/19
to Capital City Astronomy Club, rlsl...@aol.com
I remember this coming up several years ago also.  Yesterday someone was telling me about someone who has a large scope and a sliding out "floor" observatory somewhere near Rowe Mesa ??  Could this be where the scope ended up?  If not, does anyone know about this "observatory" near Rowe Mesa ??
--
Click HERE to be notified about my upcoming Workshops and Fine Art Exhibitions

Tony Bonanno Photography, LLC
Santa Fe, New Mexico  USA  +1 505.466.0020
ASMP Professional Member

Francois-Marie Patorni

Aug 4, 2019, 1:46:40 PM8/4/19
to capital-city-...@googlegroups.com

Tony Bonanno Photography

Aug 4, 2019, 1:49:03 PM8/4/19
to capital-city-...@googlegroups.com
That was probably the one that I heard about.

--
Sent from my mobile device www.bonannophoto.com Santa Fe, New Mexico USA