[Capistrano 3] Deploy to Production Server from Local Repo

Alexander Deeb

Jan 24, 2016, 8:29:10 AM1/24/16
to Capistrano
How can I tell Capistrano 3 to deploy from a local repo to a production server? I've tried all different path combinations for my repo. My git repo is at the following path: C:/Users/me/Documents/repo/myappname. Is there a specific way to reference my local repo? This is how I'm doing it now, but it clearly isn't working.

set :repo_url, "file:///C:/Users/me/Documents/repo/myappname.git"

I've attached the logs below. The error message I'm receiving is as follows:

DEBUG [8e11f353]        fatal: '/c/Users/me/Documents/repo/myappname' does not appear to be a git repository
DEBUG [8e11f353]        fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights and the repository exists.

Versions:
  • Ruby 2.1.5p273
  • Capistrano 3.4.0
  • Rails 4.2.3
  • Rake 10.5.0
Platform:
  • Local repo is on Windows 10
  • Deploying to Ubuntu 14.04 virtual machine on Microsoft Azure
Logs:

I've been struggling with this for hours, and the documentation has not really been helpful. Thanks in advance for any help!

Lee Hambley

Jan 24, 2016, 8:32:16 AM1/24/16
to Capistrano
​You can't deploy this way. The docs specifically mention a repository must be reachable by the server to which you deploy. There are some community (unsupported) plugins which can deploy via Copy.​