Why is my output messed up when I run cap deploy?

Peter Black

Jul 6, 2015, 2:36:00 PM7/6/15
to capis...@googlegroups.com
Versions:
  • Ruby - 1.9.3p551
  • Capistrano - 2.15.5
  • Rake - 10.4.2 / Rails - 3.2.22
Platform:
  • Working on.... ubuntu 14.04
  • Deploying to... ubuntu 14.04
Logs:
  • I am not sure what logs would be relevant..
Info:
  I have 3 servers I am deploying to. 2 app servers and 1 DB server.There are 2 issues.
    1) capistrano asks for my password 3 - 5 times when I execute 'cap deploy'.
    2) I have attached an image(with private info blurred out) that shows the problem I am experiencing. Normally the terminal output is left-aligned but now it looks like the text is 'wrapping' and not creating a new line. The first line of output spills into the second line. This causes the second line of output to be pushed right. Each subsequent line skews the starting posistion of the line after it. This makes the output very hard to read.

     The problem began when I ran: '. capify' on one of my app servers. (I had read in a forum post that it might help me identify issues with my setup) The output from that command complained about a version mismatch. I fixed the issue. Since that point my server output has the indentation issue and password issues

     Let me know what other information might help solving this issue. I am not really sure where to start.
weird_output.png

Lee Hambley

Jul 6, 2015, 3:30:52 PM7/6/15
to capis...@googlegroups.com, pe...@umbiehealth.com
     The problem began when I ran: '. capify' on one of my app servers. (I had read in a forum post that it might help me identify issues with my setup) The output from that command complained about a version mismatch. I fixed the issue. Since that point my server output has the indentation issue and password issues

This sounds like really catastrophically bad advice. "Source" (the dot command) tries to load something into your shell, it is supposed to take a shell language (bash, zsh, etc) language file, you might see this as ". something.sh" usually.

When you run this with a Ruby file, most of the content in the `capify` Ruby file has no meaning to the shell. However restarting the terminal should have cleared any ill effects, unless this ". capify" is in a startup file, such as .bashrc, or .profile or similar in your user's home directory (either side of the server)

There might be a gross misunderstanding here too, as the "cap" and "capify" commands are never intended to run on your server, but on your workstation and connect out to your servers over SSH.