How to write a capistrano plugin?

Haani Niyaz

Aug 12, 2016, 5:57:52 AM8/12/16
to Capistrano
Hi there,

I'm interested in writing a few Capistrano plugins to share some of the code resources between multiple capistrano projects we use. I assume this where writing a Capistrano plugin would come in handy unless there is a better way?

I'm wondering how to get started. Does anyone have any step-by-step resources they can point me to?

Thanks.

Lee Hambley

Aug 12, 2016, 6:35:26 AM8/12/16
to Capistrano
Hi Haani,

The best thing to do is to look at something like https://github.com/capistrano/rails plugin and/or something *very* simple such as https://github.com/harrowio/capistrano-harrow which is a minimal plugin with one single hook

Haani Niyaz

Marcos Chicote

Sep 20, 2016, 11:18:54 AM9/20/16
to Capistrano
Hi Lee
I'm working on a Capistrano plugin myself and I've been looking at https://github.com/seuros/capistrano-puma and https://github.com/seuros/capistrano-sidekiq for guidance.
Its a very simple plugin strongly based on an existing plugin that is not being maintained anymore so I just wrote the code and I now want to test it a little bit. However, I can't figure out how can I easily execute the task I wrote from the command line while developing. Current version does not use any methods from Capistrano (they are commented out actually). Can you help me with this? All code is available at https://github.com/mchicote/capistrano3-autoscaling-deploy

Thanks!

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 7:35:26 AM UTC-3, Lee Hambley wrote:
Hi Haani,

The best thing to do is to look at something like https://github.com/capistrano/rails plugin and/or something *very* simple such as https://github.com/harrowio/capistrano-harrow which is a minimal plugin with one single hook
On 12 August 2016 at 11:57, Haani Niyaz <haani...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi there,

I'm interested in writing a few Capistrano plugins to share some of the code resources between multiple capistrano projects we use. I assume this where writing a Capistrano plugin would come in handy unless there is a better way?

I'm wondering how to get started. Does anyone have any step-by-step resources they can point me to?

Thanks.

William Johnston

Sep 21, 2016, 3:12:20 AM9/21/16
to capis...@googlegroups.com
You can run something like bundle exec cap dev --trace
autoscaling_deploy:setup_instances to test. Is this what you are
looking for?

~William Johnston