Why are my gems not being installed?

Stuart Watson

Jul 7, 2015, 9:13:44 AM7/7/15
to capis...@googlegroups.com
Versions:
  • Ruby 2
  • Capistrano 3
  • Rake / Rails / etc

I have added the gem 'capistrano-bundler' to my Gemfile and have uncommented the relevant line in my Capfile . Is there anything else that I need to do to get the gems to install that are in my Gemfile. Currently they don't appear to be.

Thanks

Stuart

Lee Hambley

Jul 7, 2015, 12:30:25 PM7/7/15
to Capistrano
Can you paste your config and logs so that someone might have a look for you? Thanks!

Stuart Watson

Jul 8, 2015, 5:15:55 AM7/8/15
to capis...@googlegroups.com
Capfile

# Load DSL and set up stages
require 'capistrano/setup'
# Include default deployment tasks
require 'capistrano/deploy'
# Include tasks from other gems included in your Gemfile
#
# For documentation on these, see for example:
#
# https://github.com/capistrano/rvm
# https://github.com/capistrano/rbenv
# https://github.com/capistrano/chruby
# https://github.com/capistrano/bundler
# https://github.com/capistrano/rails
# https://github.com/capistrano/passenger
#
require 'capistrano/rvm'
# require 'capistrano/rbenv'
# require 'capistrano/chruby'
require 'capistrano/bundler'
require 'capistrano/rails/assets'
require 'capistrano/rails/migrations'
require 'capistrano/passenger'
# Load custom tasks from `lib/capistrano/tasks` if you have any defined
Dir.glob('lib/capistrano/tasks/*.rake').each { |r| import r }

Deploy.rb

# config valid only for current version of Capistrano
lock '3.4.0'
set :application, 'unepwcmc-cap3'
set :repo_url, 'g...@github.com:unepwcmc/unep-wcmc.org'
# Default branch is :master
# ask :branch, `git rev-parse --abbrev-ref HEAD`.chomp
set :deploy_user, 'wcmc'
# Default deploy_to directory is /var/www/my_app_name
set :deploy_to, "/home/#{fetch(:deploy_user)}/#{fetch(:application)}"
# Default value for :scm is :git
set :scm, :git
set :scm_username, "unepwcmc-read"
set :rvm_ruby_string, '2.0.0-p451'
set :rvm_type, :user
set :ssh_options, {
forward_agent: true,
}
# Default value for :format is :pretty
# set :format, :pretty
# Default value for :log_level is :debug
# set :log_level, :debug
# Default value for :pty is false
set :pty, true
# Default value for :linked_files is []
#set :linked_files, fetch(:linked_files, []).push('config/database.yml', 'config/secrets.yml')
set :linked_files, %w{config/database.yml config/mailer_config.yml config/max_mind.yml}
# Default value for linked_dirs is []
# set :linked_dirs, fetch(:linked_dirs, []).push('log', 'tmp/pids', 'tmp/cache', 'tmp/sockets', 'vendor/bundle', 'public/system')
# Default value for default_env is {}
# set :default_env, { path: "/opt/ruby/bin:$PATH" }
# Default value for keep_releases is 5
set :keep_releases, 5
namespace :deploy do
desc "Restart app"
task :restart do
on roles(:app), in: :sequence, wait: 5 do
execute :touch, release_path.join("tmp/restart.txt")
end
end
after :finishing, "deploy:cleanup"
end

Lee Hambley

Jul 8, 2015, 5:26:22 AM7/8/15
to Capistrano
You probably need to look at https://github.com/rvm/rvm1-capistrano3 - The standard bundler stuff does not play well with the standard rvm stuff (standing argument is that there's no good reason to run something like rvm or rbenv in production, although we know that's not 100% true)

It has to do with SSHKIt, and the way it prefixes commands https://github.com/capistrano/sshkit#the-command-map - these things are used to tack prefixes such as "rvm use _______ ", and so forth onto the front of otherwise standard commands like "bundle install".

It looks like capistrano/rvm and capistrano/bunder don't play well together presently.

The rvm1-capistrano3 gem is maintained by the rvm guy himself, and is usually kept pretty tight, whereas we maintain the rvm package just well enough to keep it working for common cases. We considered merging them once, but some disagreements about whether installing Rubies *during* a deployment derailed the discussion. (probably more info than you need, but just to give you the bigger picture)