disable rvm/bundler app/db only

Michael Richardson

Jan 28, 2016, 10:21:52 AM1/28/16
to capistrano
I deploy my rails app git-tree to the front-end web server only because I
have things in the public/ directory which the web server will serve. I
never run ruby code, I don't really want ruby (or the compilers involved in
making gem work) installed on the front-end machine.

Is there some setting/property that I can set that keep the rvm and bundler
modules of capistrano (3) from even trying to "bundle install", etc. on my
front end machine?

I already have:

set :rvm_roles, [:app]
set :bundle_roles, [:app]

but this doesn't seem to be doing it.

--
] Never tell me the odds! | ipv6 mesh networks [
] Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works | network architect [

Michael Richardson

Jan 28, 2016, 10:28:29 AM1/28/16
to capistrano
Michael Richardson <m...@sandelman.ca> wrote:
> Is there some setting/property that I can set that keep the rvm and bundler
> modules of capistrano (3) from even trying to "bundle install", etc. on my
> front end machine?

> I already have:

> set :rvm_roles, [:app]
> set :bundle_roles, [:app]

> but this doesn't seem to be doing it.

Nevermind. More careful reading of the error reveals that it's an error from
assets:precompile being run on BEHALF of my web front end... which errors
because I haven't run bundle install in my release branch directory since I
did the git pull.