KeyKOS and EROS sites?

Charlie Landau

Dec 12, 2021, 10:56:34 PM12/12/21
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
Are there new addresses for the material that used to be at
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~KeyKOS and http://www.eros-os.org/ ?

Mike Stay

Dec 13, 2021, 10:18:29 AM12/13/21
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
Here are the last snapshots archive.org got:
https://web.archive.org/web/20161117060659/http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~KeyKOS/
https://web.archive.org/web/20160915220641/http://www.eros-os.org/

Mike Stay - meta...@gmail.com
http://math.ucr.edu/~mike
https://reperiendi.wordpress.com

Jonathan S. Shapiro

Dec 13, 2021, 4:27:59 PM12/13/21
to cap-talk
I've got all of the material, but no goot place to put it.

Jonathan

Mark S. Miller

Dec 13, 2021, 4:45:19 PM12/13/21
to cap-talk
Ok, I just purchased eros-os.net . How about we put it all there, including a snapshot of the old email archives?

--
  Cheers,
  --MarkM

Jonathan S. Shapiro

Dec 13, 2021, 5:41:04 PM12/13/21
to cap-talk
Charlie, MarkM

KeyKOS.org and KeyKOS.info are up to renew on the 19th. I'm not sure who currently holds KeyKOS.com?  Since I'm not maintaining a site, I'm inclined to let KeyKOS.info go. Would you have any interest in taking over keykos.org?

Jonathan S. Shapiro

Dec 13, 2021, 5:43:27 PM12/13/21
to cap-talk
Since I still have eros-os.com and eros-os.org, I'm not sure we want to use a new and different domain. What we need is a place to put the content.

I'm not sure at this point how much of the old email archives are still recoverable. It has been more than 20 years since they started. Happy to look, and we'll certainly recover what we can.

The good news is: if we're trying to get the EROS and KeyKOS legacy docs up, everything can be done as a purely static site. In abstract it could be done using S3 as a backing store, but last time I looked S3 didn't allow tilde in a path, and the older email URLs all include "~mailman"

Jonathan

Matt Rice

Dec 13, 2021, 5:56:27 PM12/13/21
to cap-talk
You had indicated using github, so I'm curious if there is a reason
not to use github-pages, then set up an alias record for the .com/org
for the github.io?
since it is all static it'd seem a plausible option

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 10:43 PM Jonathan S. Shapiro
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cap-talk/CAAP%3D3QOepU4QOJgOmL0-vZaNheYd%3DcovTo_SA%3DrOxHpNAxvN4Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Mark S. Miller

Dec 13, 2021, 7:09:21 PM12/13/21
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 2:43 PM Jonathan S. Shapiro <jonathan....@gmail.com> wrote:
Since I still have eros-os.com and eros-os.org, I'm not sure we want to use a new and different domain.

That is extraordinary good news! I only grabber eros-os.net because I assumed that we could no longer use eros-os.org . Awesome! The old links will work again!!!

What we need is a place to put the content.

What's required? Is it just static content?

I'm not sure at this point how much of the old email archives are still recoverable. It has been more than 20 years since they started. Happy to look, and we'll certainly recover what we can.

Anyone else have a copy?

The good news is: if we're trying to get the EROS and KeyKOS legacy docs up, everything can be done as a purely static site. In abstract it could be done using S3 as a backing store, but last time I looked S3 didn't allow tilde in a path, and the older email URLs all include "~mailman"

Ah, I see. Not S3 then. Plenty of other options. Any likely problems we need to check other than tilda and "-mailman"?

Jonathan S. Shapiro

Dec 13, 2021, 7:43:56 PM12/13/21
to cap-talk
On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 4:09 PM 'Mark S. Miller' via cap-talk <cap-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

The good news is: if we're trying to get the EROS and KeyKOS legacy docs up, everything can be done as a purely static site. In abstract it could be done using S3 as a backing store, but last time I looked S3 didn't allow tilde in a path, and the older email URLs all include "~mailman"

Ah, I see. Not S3 then. Plenty of other options. Any likely problems we need to check other than tilda and "-mailman"?

Actually, it looks like the guidelines have changed. Tilde is no longer prohibited. It is identified as "to be avoided because many apps will require special handling". But the only app we care about here is HTTP service from a static site.

Does anybody currently have a static stie up that we could use as a test base? The case we need to handle is http:/domain/~mailman/blah.txt.   If we can make that work, we should be OK.

Though now that I think on it, S3 doesn't handle MIME types rationally. Is there some other S3-like service that does?

Jonathan

Kris Kowal

Dec 13, 2021, 7:55:34 PM12/13/21
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
Just verified. Tildes are in.

William ML Leslie

Dec 13, 2021, 8:00:08 PM12/13/21
to cap-talk
Doesn't it? We serve up video and wav from s3, but those are from signed URLs rather than public buckets, so maybe there is magic there (but I doubt it).

The public-facing part of my personal website is a static google cloud website and it has no trouble serving up my resumé in pdf for download. I'm in the office rn, but can try whatever you like once I'm home.

Jonathan

Jonathan S. Shapiro

Dec 13, 2021, 8:16:24 PM12/13/21
to cap-talk
On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 5:00 PM William ML Leslie <william.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, 14 Dec 2021, 11:43 am Jonathan S. Shapiro, <jonathan....@gmail.com> wrote:

Though now that I think on it, S3 doesn't handle MIME types rationally. Is there some other S3-like service that does?

Doesn't it? We serve up video and wav from s3, but those are from signed URLs rather than public buckets, so maybe there is magic there (but I doubt it).

We've had a bunch of trouble exchanging image files published through S3. I'm not clear if its a problem on the receiving side, or S3 is dropping the file extension, or if the per-object MIME type metadata isn't getting set correctly. The fact that Kris got the ".txt" extension to work suggest that it isn't a problem with the extension. I've asked for clarification internally on what the actual problem was.

Jonathan

Valerio Bellizzomi

Dec 13, 2021, 11:54:02 PM12/13/21
to cap-talk
Can I offer a server with 5TB redundant disk as storage ?

- Which ports do I need to open for access from outside?
- Which software do I need to install?

Valerio

Charlie Landau

Dec 16, 2021, 2:12:18 PM12/16/21
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to see keykos.org continue, and I'm willing to pay for the domain registration, but I'm hoping you guys can find a server to host the content.

Mark S. Miller

Dec 16, 2021, 3:05:48 PM12/16/21
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
I think Valerio just volunteered one. Thanks Valerio!

Valerio Bellizzomi

Dec 17, 2021, 2:29:40 PM12/17/21
to cap-talk
I need to know which ports to open and software to install.

Charlie Landau

Jan 7, 2022, 2:11:50 PM1/7/22
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
Is there any progress on this? It sounds like it would take some work to use Valerio's server. Any other options?

GitHub could host the EROS web site, and the code if desired.

Not sure if KeyKOS would qualify for a free account on GitHub since it is not open source.

Valerio Bellizzomi

Jan 7, 2022, 2:14:57 PM1/7/22
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
Since then I have received no reply on my question.

Mark S. Miller

Jan 7, 2022, 5:14:00 PM1/7/22
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
I thought KeyKOS is now open source? Or is there anything other than a naming distinction between KeyKOS and GuardOS?

Mark S. Miller

Jan 7, 2022, 5:14:51 PM1/7/22
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
Someone, please answer Valerio's questions and help out with this. Thanks!

Mike Stay

Jan 7, 2022, 5:39:47 PM1/7/22
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 12:29 PM Valerio Bellizzomi
<vbell...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I need to know which ports to open

Presumably 443 for HTTPS and 22 for SSH.

> and software to install.

nginx has overtaken apache as the most popular web server.
https://kinsta.com/blog/nginx-vs-apache/

(This assumes that the content is all static and all that's needed is
an HTTP server that points at a directory.)

Valerio Bellizzomi

Jan 8, 2022, 6:30:09 AM1/8/22
to cap-talk
I will be installing Ubuntu Hirsute on the server.
The following is a list of what I need to put the server to work:
- ports to open to the internet;
- web server configuration (nginx or apache2 at your choice); in case of HTTPS I will be using Letsencrypt certificates;
- where to grab the content for the web server directory;
- possibly a home page file of your choice (index.html) with images of your choice and links.

thanks.

Bill Frantz

Jan 8, 2022, 7:16:08 PM1/8/22
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
On 1/7/22 at 5:13 PM, cap-...@googlegroups.com ('Mark S.
Miller' via cap-talk) wrote:

>I thought KeyKOS is now open source? Or is there anything other than a
>naming distinction between KeyKOS and GuardOS?

I think that GuardOS was just the C code. The code that was best
tested, and used for the early benchmarks, hosting IBM's CMS,
etc. was the Assembler code. If there is a conflict between what
the C code says and what the Assembler code says, it is likely
that the Assembler code is the correct version. A number of the
features mentioned as being in KeyKOS were only in the Assembler
version. I believe that KeyTXF (the transaction processing
subsystem) was in this category.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz | The first thing you need when | Periwinkle
(408)348-7900 | using a perimeter defense is a | 150
Rivermead Rd #235
www.pwpconsult.com | perimeter. |
Peterborough, NH 03458

Charlie Landau

Jan 9, 2022, 7:57:20 PM1/9/22
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
Ideally, we'll want to configure the server, and the DNS entries for
keykos.org and eros-os.org, so that these go to two separate sites.

Valerio Bellizzomi

Jan 13, 2022, 4:49:16 AM1/13/22
to cap-talk
tomorrow I will start installing OS on the server, I have only one server thus at your choice pick eros-os or keykos to be hosted here, later I will provide you the public IP address of the server so that you can configure the DNS record.

Charlie Landau

Jan 13, 2022, 11:31:02 AM1/13/22
to cap-...@googlegroups.com, Jonathan S. Shapiro
I'd prefer that Valerio host keykos, since eros-os could be hosted on GitHub. If people are OK with that, I can set up eros-os with a free account on GitHub, but the only content I have would be gleaned from https://web.archive.org/web/20160915220641/http://www.eros-os.org/

Mark S. Miller

Jan 13, 2022, 4:31:06 PM1/13/22
to cap-...@googlegroups.com, Jonathan S. Shapiro
What would really like to see happen, if possible, is for eros-os.org to be restored in such a way that links to old archived email messages become unbroken and accurate. Al least for e-lang and cap-talk.

As to which is hosted where, I don't much care as long as it happens in a way that is likely to stay up.

Charlie Landau

Jan 13, 2022, 5:43:31 PM1/13/22
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
A web site hosted on GitHub has a URL of HTTP://<project>.github.io, but you can set the DNS entry for eros-os.org to redirect to that.

For example, http://www.capros.org is up and running and now hosted on GitHub.

Charlie Landau

Jan 16, 2022, 12:30:42 PM1/16/22
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
On 12/13/21 2:40 PM, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
KeyKOS.org and KeyKOS.info are up to renew on the 19th. I'm not sure who currently holds KeyKOS.com?  Since I'm not maintaining a site, I'm inclined to let KeyKOS.info go. Would you have any interest in taking over keykos.org?
It looks like someone renewed keykos.org. Who was it? Thank you.

As far as I'm concerned, we only need one domain, and keykos.com and keykos.info can go.

Here is the Whois record for keykos.org:

Domain Name: KEYKOS.ORG
Registry Domain ID: D154941127-LROR
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.google.com
Registrar URL: https://domains.google.com
Updated Date: 2021-12-20T12:46:23Z
Creation Date: 2008-12-20T04:52:02Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2022-12-20T04:52:02Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date:
Registrar: Google LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 895
Registrar Abuse Contact Email:
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.8772376466
Reseller:
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registrant Organization: Contact Privacy Inc. Customer 124723840
Registrant State/Province: ON
Registrant Country: CA
Name Server: NS-CLOUD-C1.GOOGLEDOMAINS.COM
Name Server: NS-CLOUD-C2.GOOGLEDOMAINS.COM
Name Server: NS-CLOUD-C4.GOOGLEDOMAINS.COM
Name Server: NS-CLOUD-C3.GOOGLEDOMAINS.COM
DNSSEC: unsigned
URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form https://www.icann.org/wicf/)

Jonathan S. Shapiro

Jan 16, 2022, 10:18:20 PM1/16/22
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
It was me, because nobody responded. I had hoped someone would take it over.

At one point I hoped to get keykos.com because of existing links, but I think it’s now moot. Let proceed with keykos.org

Jonathan

Jonathan A Rees

Jan 22, 2022, 6:18:38 PM1/22/22
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
As long as we're talking about site archiving ... waterken.com is
featured prominently at erights.org, but seems to be defunct.

Fortunately it is available from archive.org, but it would be nice if
the old URLs still worked. Short of that maybe erights.org could be
updated to point to archive.org.

Jonathan

William ML Leslie

Jan 22, 2022, 11:24:07 PM1/22/22
to cap-talk

On Sun, 23 Jan 2022, 10:18 am Jonathan A Rees, <j...@mumble.net> wrote:
As long as we're talking about site archiving ... waterken.com is
featured prominently at erights.org, but seems to be defunct.

Fortunately it is available from archive.org, but it would be nice if
the old URLs still worked. Short of that maybe erights.org could be
updated to point to archive.org.

Jonathan

It is also available at http://waterken.sourceforge.net/

Sometimes I have trouble finding that.

Random thought: what prevents us from standardising yurls? Are there any known security issues? Does anyone have a protocol for key rotation?

Terry Hayes

Jan 23, 2022, 4:39:00 PM1/23/22
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
An interesting and recently proposed protocol for establishing and rotating keys is KERI.  (http://keri.one). I think it might fit into the waterken model, where the KERI anchor would form the YURL.