Looking to buy

Jay Stainbrook

Jul 16, 2019, 3:02:55 PM7/16/19
to Canon Cat
Hi, I thought I would put out some feelers and see if anyone has a Cat for sale.  I am located in the NW of the USA.  Would consider any condition.  If you have something available drop me a line and we'll see if we can work something out.  Thanks!

Charles Springer

Jul 16, 2019, 5:32:51 PM7/16/19
to cano...@googlegroups.com
I have one NIB in Gig Harbor.

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 12:02 PM Jay Stainbrook <jaysta...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, I thought I would put out some feelers and see if anyone has a Cat for sale.  I am located in the NW of the USA.  Would consider any condition.  If you have something available drop me a line and we'll see if we can work something out.  Thanks!

Nick Lovvorn

Sep 8, 2019, 9:55:50 PM9/8/19
to cano...@googlegroups.com
I have one with printer. And a non modified working floppy drive.

dwight

Sep 8, 2019, 11:36:17 PM9/8/19
to cano...@googlegroups.com
As noted before. An unmodified/working drive is a time bomb. Please do not treat it as drive that does is fine without being repair. It is like driving with those bad airbags in your car. Fix it your self or have someone fix it for you. It will fail and the drive will be unrepairable with serious head damage. These drives were special for the Cats. They can not be easily replaced. If it were a car, there would be a recall, the minute a mechanical engineer took a look at it. We have demonstrated to possible ways of repairing them. They do take a little mechanical ability to do.
Don't add to the list of those that, site unseen, believes their drive is fine because it hasn't yet failed. It will fail! The design is flawed.
Dwight

Sep 9, 2019, 1:24:57 AM9/9/19
to cano...@googlegroups.com
Indeed. I still have to dismantle and fix mine. I think it does require making a small replacement part out of aluminum with a drill press or similar.

dwight

Sep 9, 2019, 1:13:38 PM9/9/19
to cano...@googlegroups.com
Some JB Weld ( a high strength metal filled epoxy ) was used by ( believe ) Jack Rubin. It does make removing the guide rail  harder but as it is, it is not intended to be removed anyway.
As a side note, the damage is done while removing the disk.If you have a disk in the drive, it is best left in the computer until you have the time to take things apart and make the needed repair. 100% of the drives will have the nylon piece that holds the rail at the rear of the drive cracked because of over stressing. It will be hanging on by the thin edge of the nylon piece, waiting to fall off at the slightest touch.
It usually starts with a difficulty in removing the disk, like the eject wasn't working well. It doesn't take much force to damage the head on the disk. The head is glued to a thin flexing spring. The drives I've seen damaged had both the glue ripped apart and some with the thin spring metal ripped. In both cases the wires were ripped from the head, making it unrepairable .
The drive needs to be a native 720K drive with the drive ready signal. Most all 3.5 disk don't have the drive ready signal any more. Even with the right drive, one would need to construct a proper cable, as the Cats connect is not standard.
Dwight