Cabo Rico list

Thierry Danz

Apr 16, 2022, 11:52:38 AM4/16/22
to Cabo Rico Group
For those who are not on Facebook: Here is an updated Cabo Rico list that you can view in Google Docs:

Thierry Danz
CR42#12  CURLEW
Baltimore, MD

LARRY BARKER

Apr 17, 2022, 2:58:24 PM4/17/22
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thierry,

Very nice job on the Cabo Rico listing.
Thx
Larry

Sent from my iPhone

Thierry Danz

Apr 17, 2022, 4:42:49 PM4/17/22
to Cabo Rico Group
Hi Larry,

The true credit should go to Thomas Phillips on Facebook who compiled the initial listing from info that the owner of the Cabo Rico Facebook group had published earlier, and possibly from other sources. I then added the data that I had gathered since we started the initial Cabo Rico group on Sailnet in the late 1990s and that I had kept updated since, as best as I could, from different sources (mostly Yachtworld). I was always hesitant to publish my list as it contained peoples names and email addresses and I did not want to make these public on a different platform without their express permission. That is why I haven't added names and email addresses on this list, unless it was requested by those owners.  We have had previous attempts to compile Cabo Rico listings (remember the CROA book?) but they never were maintained. I'll try to keep this list updated, but am dependent on current owners to do so. I know that some information is outdated, but it is the best we have. Say hi to Darlene.

Thierry

LARRY BARKER

Apr 17, 2022, 5:18:48 PM4/17/22
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thierry,
I do remember the CROA book. Some hesitated to list names and so on for that project.  ( that was a day or two ago).
I will pass your hellos to Darlene

All my best and Happy Easter.
Larry

Sent from my iPhone

Tom Boyce

Apr 19, 2022, 5:02:30 PM4/19/22
to caborico
To update list as I am not on Facebook:

2005 Cabo Rico Pilothouse 42  PH3  ex-H2O / ex-Shearwater II / is now Willow and in Ft. Lauderdale for the time being, hailing port Miami.

Willow has undergone a complete standing and running rigging replacement by East Coast Marine Rigging of Tracy Landing replacement including with two new Harken Ocean furlers foresails.

 New 8612XSV Garmin electronics -Fantom 24 doppler radar and complete autopilot replacement as well as a second Furuno autopilot installed.

Complete Victron Lithium system with new 4 x  330A 12V batteries, Mult-Plus Charger/Inverter , MMPT solar controllers, DC-DC chargers, battery management system, Cebo-GX, etc. completed by Maz Ocean in Ft.

The project was created to mount a DeepStream Marine modular anodized aluminum Solar Bimini with integral dinghy davits and side curtains to hold four 440W removable Aptos DNA44 solar panels.

The air conditioning was replaced with Mabru 17K and 7K systems, and refrigeration systems with Isotherm 2507 water cooled Magnum systems.

The SS Bomar Deck Hatches are in the process of being also replaced.

Final items: replacing the watermaker, cutlass bearing, and bottom paint will be taking place soon.

Respectfully, Tom Boyce

Matthew Cohen

Apr 19, 2022, 5:41:37 PM4/19/22
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Those sound like awesome updates Tom. Can’t wait to see the Bimini davit and solar package.
Matt

On Apr 19, 2022, at 5:02 PM, Tom Boyce <tomboy...@gmail.com> wrote:

To update list as I am not on Facebook:

Thierry Danz

Apr 20, 2022, 9:25:08 AM4/20/22
to Cabo Rico Group
Hi Tom,

Congratulations! I saw her as Shearwater in Camden, Maine several years ago. I believe she had just returned from an Atlantic circuit.
Do you want me to include your name and email address on the Cabo Rico list?

Thierry Danz
CR42#12 CURLEW
Baltimore, MD

Tom Boyce

Feb 11, 2023, 8:42:42 AM2/11/23
to caborico
  Hi Thierry,   Tom here on Willow, ex-Shearwater II, ex-H2O.

I hope all is going well with your 42, we dodged Hurricane Nicole by heading south into the Bahamas when it was headed to Ft. Lauderdale.

 I've got a question that as an owner of a 42 you might be able to answer.

While I can't find any information in the literature, I think the interior bronze rudder port for the 2.5" Aquamet rudder shaft is the Buck Algonquin 00rp250 which the catalog specifies a 3/8" packing (.375) but when I removed the packing it measures an average of .45  so I was thinking it may be 7/16 (.4375).
If this is the right interior rudder port, the nut size on our is about 3.185 and doesn't fit any of the wrench nut sizes specified in their catalog.

If you have replaced your packing, I'd love to know what packing size you use.

Also the I think the external stern bearing housing for the 1- 1/4" drive shaft is the Buck Algonquin STB-125 from the markings but as ht cutlass bearing is fine at this point I don't have any specs on it.https://www.hydrasearch.com/00stbo125-bronze-stern-bearing-housings-oval-flange.html

While the interior drive shaft stuffing box with notched nuts appears to be a Spartan and while they don't specify a packing size I think it's 1/4"

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

 I've attached some  pics: the solar bimini is very unobtrusive and really opens up the sides. Not shown is that side curtains, for sun, rain, or complete shade, slide in the bottom tracks of the marine anodized horizontal extrusion to keep a clean look and avoid damage in high winds.  The panels are Miami Dade hurricane rated for 185 MPH but also slide out for storage in the V berth in under 5 minutes apiece if a hurricane is bearing down or you want to do a panel upgrade as technology changes.

Willow diysolarbimini mast view.jpg
Willow diysolarbimini stern quarter view.jpg
diysolarbimini t extrusion vertical to horizontal slide in assembly.jpg
Solar Bimini from front.jpg

Thierry Danz

Feb 11, 2023, 1:45:40 PM2/11/23
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

I have never had to re-pack the rudder tube stuffing box so I cannot give you any help in that respect. Neither have I replaced the cutlass bearing. After 30,000+ miles and 4200 hours on the Yanmar both are still good. No leaks, no play. I have re-packed the cutlass bearing twice. It is an easy job as the packing is inside the ribbed nut and not in the stuffing box itself. I did both times while the boat was afloat. The packing material is 1/4". I used some rescue tape wrapped around the shaft to reduce the water flow. Hope this helps.

Thierry Danz
CR42#12 CURLEW
Baltimore, MD

pequ...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2023, 11:29:18 AM7/17/23
to caborico
Suggested correction:   Hull 110:   Previous owner is now Stephen Topp.   New owners are Pierre Pequegnat and Francine Clavet.   Location:  Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Thanks.

Pierre