Unstepping mast with the table inplace

Stephen Brady

Aug 3, 2021, 10:51:04 AM8/3/21
to caborico
Getting ready to unstep the mast on S/V New WInd, a 1983 CR38 #67 with the mast going through the forward part of the salon table. Does the table need to be free from the bulkhead and sole, for pulling the mast? Also noted the the mast step, bolted to the sole, was moved forward about i" meaning the previous owner must have tried to remove some weather helm. mast through the deck is centered.
Looking for some "been there, done that" knowledge.

Thanks
Stephen

N C

Aug 3, 2021, 8:21:58 PM8/3/21
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Stephen,
When I unstepped mine I had the guys at the yard go down below to see just how tight of a fit it was, hoping they'd be a little more cautious. The bigger concern is when you step it and try to get it back through the table. I had an extra set of hands down below to help guide it through as well as a third person on deck to communicate with the crane operator. When mine was being commissioned apparently there was a slight mishap which put a small dent in the table. Wilbert from the factory made a nice collar that fit around the mast and covered the dent. I didn't have to loosen the table from the sole, on my model the table isn't connected to the bulkhead, there is about an 8" gap between them. Shouldn't weather helm be adjusted by increasing or decreasing the amount of rake on the mast via the stays? I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Nick
S/V RONIN CR38#190

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 3, 2021, at 10:51 AM, Stephen Brady <stpa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Getting ready to unstep the mast on S/V New WInd, a 1983 CR38 #67 with the mast going through the forward part of the salon table. Does the table need to be free from the bulkhead and sole, for pulling the mast? Also noted the the mast step, bolted to the sole, was moved forward about i" meaning the previous owner must have tried to remove some weather helm. mast through the deck is centered.
Looking for some "been there, done that" knowledge.

Thanks
Stephen

LARRY BARKER

Aug 3, 2021, 9:27:13 PM8/3/21
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Stephen,
The mast was out when we bought our 1984 CR38.
The table was removed.  While removed we cut a slot in the table that allowed the table to slide around the mast.  Screwed a small strip of teak on underside of the table on each side of the slot. Once mast was in we just slid the table in place and placed the cut out in the opening between front of mast and bulkhead
This alleviated the stepping of the mast and table issue.
Our table was mounted to the cabin sole.  I added a brass L bracket to under side of table and bulkhead for better stability.
Came in handy to help run new instruments cable up the mast and access the center water tank when we had an issue.
Saved unstepping the mast or hanging table off the overhead hand holds in order get table out of the way.
Hope this makes sense.
Good luck
Larry

Sent from my iPhone