Stripping cabin sole

nichola...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2021, 9:48:37 PM3/18/21
to caborico
I'm going to take the cabin sole down to bare wood and revarnish it. How have folks wooded the sole? Chemical strippers? Heat gun and scrape? Other?

charlie kelly

Mar 19, 2021, 10:24:17 AM3/19/21
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I, Charlie Kelly, need help on posting my 1976 CaboRico Tiburon 36 after ten years of pleasure sailing in south Florida and the Bahamas
My wife and sailing partner first mate and galley slave says our age has caught up with us and I have finally agreed. My email and phone: charl...@yahoo.com and 951-533-2432. We are in Fort Myers with the boat in canal behind our house. Thanks for any and all help. May the winds always be in your favor!!
On Thursday, March 18, 2021, 09:48:39 PM EDT, nichola...@gmail.com <nichola...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm going to take the cabin sole down to bare wood and revarnish it. How have folks wooded the sole? Chemical strippers? Heat gun and scrape? Other?

cab...@aol.com

Mar 19, 2021, 10:55:20 AM3/19/21
to cabo...@googlegroups.com

Heat gun scrape and sand.

Chuck Batson

Mar 21, 2021, 11:38:10 AM3/21/21
to caborico
I haven't done the sole, but I've done a bulkhead, so I don't know if they differ substantially. I just sanded.

I've also been intrigued by the claims of "TotalBoat TotalStrip," but haven't tried it, and don't know how well it'd work for this application.

Let us know how it goes!

Chuck
CR34 #34 Sparklemuffin

nichola...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2021, 10:55:03 AM4/2/21
to caborico
Heat gun and scrape worked well, but the key was a carbide blade scraper I bought at a paint store. This tool left a smooth, clean and undamaged surface.

nichola...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2021, 10:56:36 AM4/2/21
to caborico

Should have added, it was a Purdy carbide blade scraper. Excellent tool!