Leaking deck drain

nichola...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2021, 11:10:48 AM7/8/21
to caborico
One of my deck drains is leaking into the quarter cabin. The drain is hard to access even with the cabinetry removed and I think I will have to cut out the existing drain, perhaps with a  vibratory cutter, and replace it, maybe with a bronze elbow. Has anyone done this?

LARRY BARKER

Jul 8, 2021, 11:36:12 AM7/8/21
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Is the elbow cracked!
Otherwise rebed the drain. It has been a while but I don't remember a deck drain?  Only in the deck storage in the bow and cockpit drains.
Are u talking about the scuppers?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 8, 2021, at 11:10 AM, nichola...@gmail.com <nichola...@gmail.com> wrote:

One of my deck drains is leaking into the quarter cabin. The drain is hard to access even with the cabinetry removed and I think I will have to cut out the existing drain, perhaps with a  vibratory cutter, and replace it, maybe with a bronze elbow. Has anyone done this?

cab...@aol.com

Jul 8, 2021, 1:31:05 PM7/8/21
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I thought I had that problem too. But it turned out to be the rear starboard Hauser.

John MacKenzie

Jul 9, 2021, 12:25:44 PM7/9/21
to caborico
I had water in that location only when heeling.  Turned out to be a leak in a hose connection between the midships deck drain to the sea cock located aft of the cockpit.  On heeling, the water traveled forward along where the hose runs. As far as I could identify the deck drains are fiberglassed to the deck with a short segment of fiberglass pipe before connecting to the drain hose.  Limited access to this pipe and hose connection through the navigation panel - the layout on this CaboRico has a nav station and storage in place of the quarter cabin.  Can you identify the leak precise source of the leak? Would be much easier to fix a hose/connection than a crack in the fiberglass pipe.

John
Avalon Cabo Rico 38, Hull #145

nichola...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2021, 12:58:14 PM7/9/21