Fwd: [EncinitasBikeandPedCommittee] FYI: LA bike safety design criticized

Jim Baross

Jul 21, 2022, 9:01:16 AM7/21/22
to Cabo Forum
Another act to keep bicycling out of the way?

Jul 21, 2022, 11:41:48 AM7/21/22
to jimb...@cox.net, Cabo Forum
I think I’m least concerned with separated bikeways that are on bridges.

As to the potential danger of the separators, the devil is in the details.

A few weeks ago riding southbound (downhill) on our tandem with my daughter on the Rose Canyon path adjacent to Santa Fe St in San Diego I was hit in the face by a bee which landed on my cheek and began to crawl towards my eye under my glasses. Naturally, I freaked, and instinctively reached for the bee on my face, a move that caused the tandem to swerve across the path towards and up onto the separator barrier.

Let me tell you from this first hand experience: I would never have predicted how the tandem and barrier interacted. I thought for sure we were going down, but, instead, the angled and relatively high edge of the barrier simply caused the front wheel to turn in alignment wth the path. We rode up on the edge for a moment or two, then simply rolled down off of it back onto the path.  The riders behind me credited me for a skillful recovery, but the barrier designers deserve all the credit for that save.

In contrast, the edges of the Cardiff wheel stop barriers are not designed to be benevolent to bikes like that.  Hit one of those and it takes you down.

It’s hard to tell from the pic, but the design of the new separator on the bridge might also be of the forgiving variety.

Serge

Scott Mace

Jul 21, 2022, 3:35:01 PM7/21/22
to cabo...@googlegroups.com

When protection isn't protection, even on a bridge, it's Caltrans at work.

"The 'protected' bike lanes were designated by Caltrans to be used as a shoulder when cars or emergency vehicles need the space; they were designed to be permeable.

https://michaelschneider.medium.com/a-love-letter-to-los-angeles-is-more-like-a-bad-romance-a86aa8b33324

Scott

Sand Geo

Jul 21, 2022, 7:57:06 PM7/21/22
to sc...@wiredmuse.com, CABOforum
I found two videos that show the bridge very well, the 1st one is a long walk onto the bridge and the 2nd one is from CBSLA.

Sandrine.

William Sellin

Jul 23, 2022, 12:41:16 AM7/23/22
to sandrine...@gmail.com, sc...@wiredmuse.com, CABOforum
They expect cyclists to dismount and walk the 3 story spiral ramp! What about the entrance to the NB 101 from Whittier Blvd - how does the WB cycle track get across that ?

Infrastructure Review Committee
      OCBike.org

Area Director for Caltrans District 12
      CABOBike.org