Natural Realism & Contact theory of Perception

Hari Kiran

Nov 2, 2019, 7:46:15 PM11/2/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com

Pranaams to all,

We are happy to announce the 8th book published by Indic Academy written by Chittaranjan Naik..

Members of the list interested in reviewing the book for publication on www.indictoday.com may please write to us at nam...@indica.org.in and we will send you a review copy.

Regards

Hari

Irene Galstian

Nov 3, 2019, 2:22:37 AM11/3/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Congratulations on the new publication!
It would be both interesting and instructive to see a deep and systematic study of how Indian approach can improve on Heidegger.
Hope a book like this is in the pipeline already.

Irene

Vaishnavi Nishankar

Nov 27, 2019, 10:21:51 PM11/27/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Namaste Hari Kiran ji,

Many thanks to Indic Academy and therein Prof Nagaraj Paturi ji for your encouragement with regards to a paradigm-shifting endeavour by Shri Chittaranjan Naik ji by way of publishing his ground breaking work in establishing (should I say re-establising!) the प्रत्यक्षप्रमाण in the Indian theories of cognition through contact as the valid means of perception, taking head on with the western philosophical and scientific theories and pointing out their blind spots.

I hope Indic Academy will also work on providing a platform for Chittaranjan ji, who has his expertise in both the western and Indian theories of knowledge, to interact with and guide both traditional and non-traditional scholars of Indian knowledge studies such that they trust Indian shaastras for their validity and soundness, and move it ahead in continuum as has been during the several centuries in the past, taking head on with the newer purva-pakshas from the western philosophy and sciences! To have such faith in our shaastras as Chittanranjan ji has, is quite infectious when we interact with him/his work!

With warm regards

Vaishnavi Nishankar
Adjunct Faculty
School of Vedic Sciences
MIT ADT University, Pune
Maharashtra, Bharatam

Nagaraj Paturi

Nov 27, 2019, 10:33:42 PM11/27/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
I agree except the word 'guide'. Sri Chittaranjan Naik himself may not agree with that word.

Yes, let us move towards interactive sessions with him.

--
Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Director,  Inter-Gurukula-University Centre , Indic Academy
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,
(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )

Chittaranjan Naik

Nov 28, 2019, 1:16:44 AM11/28/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Thank you Vaishnavi-ji for your encouraging and kind words. I am not an academic scholar but I have spent many years in studying both Indian and Western philosophies and I can share whatever little bit I know with the scholars of Indian vidyas, especially with those who have studied them in the traditional style under traditional gurus, so that together we can undertake the project of redefining the platform of discourse in the contemporary world based on sound epistemological foundations. The current platform of discourse is so heavily skewed with premises drawn from the Western tradition that it becomes almost impossible to uphold the traditional viewpoint. I believe it is time to challenge this state of affairs.

I welcome comments from the scholar-members of this forum.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

Chittaranjan Naik

Nov 28, 2019, 1:16:44 AM11/28/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
True Prof Nagaraj Paturi-ji, 'guide' is an inappropriate word. I am sure what Vaishnavi-ji meant is share my knowledge (to whatever extent I know), especially with respect to Western philosophy, so that it would enable those scholars of traditional vidyas that may not be familiar with Western theories to respond to them effectively from the standpoint of the Indian tradition.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

On Sun, 3 Nov 2019 at 05:16, Hari Kiran <kiran.v...@gmail.com> wrote:

Pranaams to all,

We are happy to announce the 8th book published by Indic Academy written by Chittaranjan Naik..

Members of the list interested in reviewing the book for publication on www.indictoday.com may please write to us at nam...@indica.org.in and we will send you a review copy.

Regards

Hari

Deva Pattanayak

Nov 28, 2019, 12:27:12 PM11/28/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
"It would also mean that the finite time taken for light to travel from a distant star to our physical eyes is not part of the perceptual process and that the physical bodies we possess somehow do not interfere in the perceptual process."
This is from Naik_ji 's writing. This example of delayed perception of star light is not only based on science, but the part that is left out that the star knew that so many light years later some one will be observing the light.
Actually the net perception is a shuttle combination of what has happened in the past as well as what is there to come.

While comparing western philosophy with that of Indian philosophy, it is perhaps important to bear in mind that in the west  the reigning mentality  is to make a new beginning rather than stay pinned to  many ideas of the past that are not relevant today  or even true. The winning mentality for mankind should be that  it is ok  to try new things without invisible strings of the past.

Chittaranjan Naik

Nov 29, 2019, 1:32:03 PM11/29/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्

"It would also mean that the finite time taken for light to travel from a distant star to our physical eyes is not part of the perceptual process and that the physical bodies we possess somehow do not interfere in the perceptual process."  This is from Naik_ji 's writing.

I would like to clarify here that this statement was made in the context of Direct Realism and what it entails. For the thesis of Direct Realism to stand, we would need to posit a theory of perception in which the world would be transparently revealed to the percipient, that is, without the transforming mechanisms of the gross body interfering in the perceptual process.

It may be noted that the Indian theory of perception offers such a model.

Regards,
Chittaranjan
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bvpar...@googlegroups.com.

Deva Pattanayak

Nov 29, 2019, 9:31:46 PM11/29/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
 The direct realism may be  related to the sixth sense. A tiger is lurking around before one actually spots it in a forest.
Here is a quote from an article by R.W. Boyer, that I came across which I have attached for your reference.

  "Again, in completely holistic Vedanta all objects and observers are nothing other than the universal Self. That ultimate reality is said to be directly verifiable in unity consciousness as the simultaneity of part/whole, reductivism/holism, individual/universal. It is expressed simply and fully in the Vedic statement: “Aham Brahmasmi (Brihad-Aranyak Upanishad, 1.4.10)  "

How do you view your work in relation with this paper by Boyer? A brief one page reply will be much appreciated and open up for furthe discussions.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/daf3d84c-d9d2-4c60-892d-1b7fee632993%40googlegroups.com.
RW_BOYER_VEDIC_REALISM.pdf

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 2, 2019, 12:25:53 PM12/2/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्

Namaste Sri Pattanayak-ji,

I read Boyer’s article. I will have to read it again to get a full grasp of the recent approaches in the philosophy of science that the author is referring to, but I believe my first reading is sufficient for me to make a broad comparison between the article and my book.

1.      While Boyer’s article and my book both draw from Vedic sources in our endeavors to provide viable explanatory accounts of Direct Realism, the goals of the two are vastly different. The main goal of Boyer’s article seems to be to justify Direct Realism as a valid premise of science given that this premise has been challenged by both philosophy and the counter-intuitive theories of science itself which scientists have been compelled to build in the areas of Quantum and Relativity physics. The aim of my book is different. It is to establish Direct Realism as part of a larger enterprise aimed at reinstating the Vedic worldview in the contemporary world.

2.      Boyer’s article does not attempt to remove the main hindrance that stands in the way of postulating a Direct Realism thesis in any meaningful manner: the almost ubiquitously held belief that our perception is occasioned by a stimulus-response process. For, as long as the physicalist stimulus-response theory of perception is held to be valid, it would logically result in a dualism of a phenomenal world and a non-linguistic world bereft of the datum of consciousness. The espousal of the stimulus-response model of perception would therefore logically lead to Representationalism (or Indirect Realism) and not to Direct Realism. This is not a problem with the Boyer article alone; I find it characteristic of all Western attempts to postulate Direct Realism, perhaps because the stimulus-response theory of perception is deeply ingrained in the Western tradition from the time of Aristotle. In consideration of this factor, my book makes the theory of perception the main focus of the book, or of the endeavor to posit Direct Realism. It addresses the very possibility of Direct Realism rather than focus on the ontological features of reality.

3.      Boyer’s article tries to introduce Structural Realism / Ontic Structural Realism as possible avenues for postulating a kind of Direct Realism, the main argument for it being that even though scientific theories may not be able to speak validly about the descriptive aspects of reality, there is a structural continuity in science and, in consideration of the fact that scientific theories do work, it would be reasonable to assume that this structure represents a legitimate structure of reality. According to me, this argument does not hold because as long as the stimulus-response theory of perception is held to be valid, the reality that we can perceive, or form a conception of, would be a reality presented within a phenomenological enclosure having the brain as its physical substrate. The structure that Boyer talks about would then not be a structure of reality but a structure of the presentative field of the phenomenological enclosure correspondent to a structure in the non-linguistic external world. In other words, it would result in Indirect Realism and not Direct Realism.

4.      Again, Boyer’s article does not mention whether it accepts Cartesian dualism or rejects it. It may be noted that both contemporary philosophy and science reject Cartesian dualism, so much so that to even speak of the self as a distinct substance has become anathema. It is for this reason that all speculations and explorations in the field of both philosophy and science predominantly look towards neuroscience for a solution to the ‘problem of consciousness’.  Even Chalmers, who claims consciousness to be non-reductive, considers the physical universe to be a closed system (displaying causal closure) and says that we must look for the causal mechanisms of the subjective features of the field of consciousness in the physical substrate of the brain. According to me, it would be a futile exercise to attempt to incorporate the Three Levels of Vedic reality, as Boyer’s article attempts to do, into any theory of science without first addressing the question of whether the self is a distinct substance or not. The question of the unity of objects with a transcendental Consciousness arises only at the fourth level – the level of Turiya or linguistically at the level of Para-vak – whereas at the level of a transactional reality, reality does appear as a duality of conscious-self (purusha) and inert- matter (prakriti) and a theory that seeks to explain reality must address this level of reality too. Otherwise, to speak of incorporating Vedic conceptions of reality while remaining silent on the modern proclivity to reject Cartesian dualism would amount to a mere pretense. In my book (Chapter 4), I have explained why it is necessary to consider the self as a separate substance; while this may not constitute a formal proof of the existence of the self (I hope to take up that topic in my next paper/book), I have shown how by not considering the self as a distinct substance, it leads to all kinds of logical conundrums, essentially of the kinds that beset Representationalism.

5.      My book does not attempt to delve into the ontological features of reality as Boyer’s article does. The main reason for it is that I find the ontology already provided in the Indian tradition to be comprehensive. For example, the twenty-four tattvas of Samkhya provide the basic material constituents of the universe, the seven categories (or padarthas) of Nyaya explain the irreducible logical compositions of the complex objects that constitute the furniture of the world formed through admixtures of the twenty-four tattvas of Samkhya, and Vedanta provides the nature of a Transcendental Reality and its relation to the universe and to the conscious beings that inhabit the universe. I do not believe that the scientific model is anywhere close to providing such a comprehensive view of reality.

6.      Boyer’s article tries to incorporate the Vedic conception of Three Levels of Reality without consideration of the praxis of the Vedic logical tradition. For example, he refers to the problem of defining what individual objects are, or of identifying what the thingness of a thing is, but these kinds of problems are really self-inflicted problems inasmuch as they arise from the Western tradition (i.e., since the time of Descartes and British Empiricism) having rejected the categories. Even though the categories of Aristotle – the Predicamentia, as they were called – were not as well defined, or as well argued for, as the padarthas of the Indian tradition were, they had still provided a logical foundation to explain how ‘thingness’ may be apprehended but the rejection of the categories has left the Western tradition – and unfortunately the field of contemporary discourse which follows in the footsteps of the Western tradition – without a foothold to comprehend even basic things like object-hood, etc. If we are to truly draw from the Indian Vedic tradition, we cannot afford to ignore the padarthas which form the bedrock of the Indian logical tradition. In my book, I have included a section (in Chapter 4) on the categories (padarthas), and, in Chapter 8, I have argued from a logic based on the categories to counter the main objections raised against Direct Realism.

7.      While Boyer mentions Logical Positivism and Kuhnian revolution in his article, he doesn’t seem to consider the ramifications that the work done by the Logical Positivists and Thomas Kuhn would have on the attempts to incorporate Vedic conceptions in a unified theory of science. Both the Logical Positivists and Kuhn held that the empirical observations of science are theory-laden by the symbolic framework within which scientists operate and that when the basic parameters of the symbolic framework change, it would result in the rise of a new paradigm that would be incommensurable with the old paradigm. According to me, it is naïve to undertake a project to combine Vedic conceptions of the universe with those of science without first ascertaining whether the two paradigms are commensurate with each other. Indeed, in my book (Part II of the book) , I have shown that the scientific experiments conducted to measure the velocity of light with respect to an observer are theory laden with the assumptions of the physicalist framework of science, primarily with the assumption that a measuring instrument is equivalent to an observer, and that the velocity of light measured between an object and the observer is false. The measured velocity of light is actually the velocity of light between one object (the source of light) and another object (the object illuminated by the source of light) and not between an object and the observer as is believed by scientists. I have proposed a new experiment in (Part II of) my book to actually verify whether the observation of an event in space is instantaneous or whether it occurs after a time-lapse.

8.      The entire phenomenon of paradigms and the incommensurability problem is, according to me, a result of the Western tradition not having a culture of pramanas. I believe there is a good opportunity here for the scholars of the Indian vidyas, especially Nayyayikas, to put the entire framework of science under the lens of scrutiny of a philosophical investigation based on the principles and methods of Nyaya Shastra. I am convinced that if this is done, it will not only give rise to a new discipline – which we may call the Nyaya Philosophy of Science – but also demonstrate that the Indian logical tradition is not dead, that it has the potential to forge new frontiers of knowledge.

I would have been more comfortable if someone else had provided the comparison between my book and that article, but yours was a reasonable request all the same as it allows me to let the members of this forum know where I am coming from in writing the book. Thank you for showing interest in my book.

Regards,

Chittaranjan

Achyut Karve

Dec 2, 2019, 10:34:22 PM12/2/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Dear Vidwans,

What type of realism is this,

It is said in medicine in times when clinical practice was in vogue that one should be capable of diagnosing a patient when a patient presents himself to the physician before he examines him.

OR

What kind of realism is face reading?
I had an encounter with a face reader.  He could read into my fast fairly accurately.

Is this a sixth sense or is it a product of long term ratiocination of examination and perception.

How does Direct Realism refer to Yoga in reference to Sutra 1 Chapter IV of the Yoga Sutra?

With regards,
Achyut Karve. ji

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/6326c3bd-d3af-48be-bc40-631c588d03b8%40googlegroups.com.

Nagaraj Paturi

Dec 2, 2019, 11:11:43 PM12/2/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Sri Achyut-ji,

This discussion is about Pratyaksha as a PramaaNa. How it works.

Specifically , it is about the process of perception.

How the senses come to know of sense-objects ? Do they actively take initiative to detect the objects or passively receive the light, sound etc. from the source ?

Please limit the discussion to those aspects only.

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 4, 2019, 6:53:14 AM12/4/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste Prof Veeranarayana Pandurangi-ji,

I hope this mail catches your eye.

I would love to have your comments on my book. The second part of the book deals with the time-lag argument which we had discussed at length on the second day of the 2-day Workshop held at the Karnataka Sanskrit University (KSU) on the 4th & 5th of March 2016. Here is a link to the brief on that workshop:

I have argued in the book that the (believed) time-lag between the occurrence of an event on space and its perception by a human observer is false. The rejection of the time-lag lays the ground for interpreting the sannikarsa mentioned in the Nyaya texts as actual contact of the senses with the object and also that at the instant of perception, there would be conjunction (samyoga) of the sense organ and the object. Would love to have your feedback (as also of those other scholars who had attended that Workshop) on the arguments provided in the book.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

On Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 9:41:43 AM UTC+5:30, Nagaraj Paturi wrote:
Sri Achyut-ji,

This discussion is about Pratyaksha as a PramaaNa. How it works.

Specifically , it is about the process of perception.

How the senses come to know of sense-objects ? Do they actively take initiative to detect the objects or passively receive the light, sound etc. from the source ?

Please limit the discussion to those aspects only.

Veeranarayana Pandurangi

Dec 7, 2019, 8:51:02 AM12/7/19
to bvparishat
I will write soon.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/51b6e684-6cb5-49d4-91b6-476e711cd270%40googlegroups.com.

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 9, 2019, 1:41:56 AM12/9/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्

Thank you Sir. I look forward to reading your comments.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 9, 2019, 1:43:49 PM12/9/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्

Namaste,

I do not believe the implications of establishing the Indian Contact Theory of Perception has been fully recognized in academic circles today. The implications are staggering. They are of such proportions as to cause a radical change both in our scientific worldview as well as philosophical worldview. The kind of theory of perception we hold to be true radically impacts both the field of science as well as that of philosophy. In this post, I shall briefly point out the impact that it would have on the relativity theory of science.

In the contact theory of perception, perception occurs through contact of the senses with the object, i.e., at the instant of perception there is conjunction of the sense and the object. Thus, the object that is perceived would be existent at the instant of its perception because there cannot be contact or conjunction of the senses with an object that is non-existent. But this directly contradicts the commonly held belief that the distant stars we perceive are perceived as they had existed many years ago and that the star may not even be existent at the time it is perceived.

Also, in the Indian contact theory of perception, when two objects or events are perceived simultaneously, it would imply that the existences of the two objects, or the occurrences of the two events, are simultaneous at the instant they are perceived. If this should be so, it would mean that major parts of Einstein’s Relativity Theory would have to be re-written. The determinate nature of the simultaneity of the existence of two objects, or of the occurrence of two events, would directly challenge the relativity of simultaneity hypothesis of Einstein’s theory. In Einstein’s theory of relativity, it is impossible to determine the simultaneity of two events in space because of the impossibility of being able to synchronize two spatially separated clocks. Also, the simultaneity that an observer perceives cannot be imputed to events in space on account of the different finite times that light would take to reach the observer from the respective spatial locations of the events / objects.

Comments?

Regards,

Chittaranjan

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 9, 2019, 10:46:57 PM12/9/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्

With the sole exception of the ancient Greek philosopher Empedocles (494 - 434 BC), the Western tradition has consistently held that we perceive objects through a stimulus-response process. The Indian tradition, on the other hand, has, just as consistently, held that we perceive objects on account of the contact of the senses with objects. The different approaches adopted by the two traditions for explaining perception are not trivial – they symbolize the vastly different worldviews of the two traditions so much so that a debate between the two theories of perception – the stimulus-response theory and the contact theory – would constitute nothing less than a clash of civilizations.

In the Indian tradition, perception (pratyaksha) is considered as a pramaana. It has the capacity to reveal objects ‘just as they are’. How does the Indian tradition explain such transparency of perception? For, as long as we are possessed of a body, the transformative mechanisms of the body would prevent the objects from being presented to our sensorium in their true forms; they would be presented, instead, as colored by the perceptual instruments and the transformative mechanisms that we are endowed with. How then does the Indian tradition hold that perception is a pramaana, a means to knowing objects ‘just as they are’ or in their true forms? How does the process of perception in which the sense organs (indriyas) reach out to the objects ensure that perceptual transparency is maintained?

I have argued in the book that perception is inherent to the self and that in reality there is no intermediate perceptual mechanism involved in perceiving objects because we are not embodied beings. The whole phenomenon of embodiment is a myth arising out of primordial avidya as laid out in Vedanta, or mithya-jnana as it is called in the Nyaya texts. The theory of perception does not explain a ‘real process’; it explains a perceptual process as it appears through the lens of mithya-jnana that presents, at once, a sense of embodiment and a spectrum consisting of the subtle-body and gross-body. It is the ‘mechanistic appearance of this spectrum’ during the process of perception that constitutes the perceptual process as described in the Indian texts. Since the entire process is a process that appears through the lens of mithya-jnana, there really is nothing that stands between the perceiving subject and the object perceived. The self is in reality epistemically open to the world. The transparency of perception is thus explained.

Regards,

Chittaranjan

G S S Murthy

Dec 9, 2019, 11:54:09 PM12/9/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
It looks to me that the way forward is to think out, design and conduct experiments that conclusively prove or disprove the propounded theory.
Thanks and regards,
Murthy

Bijoy Misra

Dec 10, 2019, 6:23:36 AM12/10/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Dear Sri Naik,
I did work in psychophysics of perception from the point of view of medical and astronomical detection.
I would love to see any softcopies of essays you might have written.  My work is mostly on the visual
acuity of image formation and the perceptual detection of remote objects.  The medical work is unclassified
and appeared in SPIE journals in the '90s.  The space work is classified.
Let me know of your essays.
Best regards,
Bijoy Misra

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 10, 2019, 11:48:22 PM12/10/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्

Namaste Sri Murthy-ji,

I am happy you brought up the topic of experiment because the second part of my book, titled 'The Simultaneity Experiment', describes an experiment to adjudicate between the two competing theories. The experiment was first conceived in the year 2010 during a discussion held in the Advaitin Yahoogroup on the topic of perception. In the year 2017, i wrote it down in the form of a formal research paper with the intention of presenting it in a seminar that was planned to be held under the banner of ICPR. But the planned seminar never took place, and the paper has now become Part II of my book.

Let me clarify however that the experiment is not meant to verify the operative aspects of the contact theory of perception because the subtle sense organs (indriyas) that are said to participate in the process of perception are not gross physical objects, so their presence, or their operations, cannot be verified by empirical means. What the experiment seeks to achieve is to verify which of the empirical results as expected from the two competing theories would be shown to be correct. In the stimulus-response theory, perception would occur after a time lapse, i.e., after the signals from the objects have arrived at the gross physical sense organs are transmitted to the brain and then presented as a percept. In the contact theory of perception, there being conjunction of the subtle sense organ with the object, there would be no such time lapse. The presence or absence of time-lag is what the experiment seeks to verify.

The experiment would require a large flare to be created in outer space of such magnitude as to make it visible to the naked eye when seen from the earth. The perception of the flare would have to be with the naked eye without there being any intervening instruments – not even a telescope – in between the percipient and the object / event. I have argued in the book that the presence of an intervening telescope would not amount to a perception of the target object but would constitute an inferential cognition inasmuch as what is seen in the telescope would be a virtual image from which the presence of the target object would be inferred using the vyapti ‘where there is an image in the telescope there is a corresponding object in space’. In other words, what is perceived would be the hetu and the target object in space would be the sadhya; it is therefore important that the flare should be perceived with the naked eye alone.

I have discussed this experiment with some well-known traditional scholars, including the eminent scholar Sri Mani Dravid Sastrigal, but I feel there needs to be a more formal discussion / debate conducted via articles published in academic journals before we can take further steps towards conducting the experiment. Also, the feasibility of conducting the experiment has to be ascertained both from the point of the technological prowess we currently possess and from the point of the limitations that would be imposed on it by the laws of physics.

Regards,

Chittaranjan

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 10, 2019, 11:48:22 PM12/10/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Dear Sri Bijoy Misra-ji,

Thank you for letting me know of the work done by you in the area of perception.

With regard to my work, it is only recently that I have embarked on the project of bringing about an engagement of the Indian tradition with the Western and Contemporary traditions, so I am afraid I will not be able to point to older articles of mine that are written in the same vein. However, I will point you to two old articles of mine and hope that they provide what you are looking for.

This long (50 pages long) article titled 'The Sword of Kali' is a rebuttal of an (equally long) article by Dr. Frank Morales:

This series of articles, which takes a novel approach to the interpretation of Advaita Vedanta, was written as part of a long discussion undertaken in the Advaitin forum in the year 2004:

My book on perception is actually a recasting of two research papers that I had written in the years 2017 and 2018. The first paper became too long to be published as an article in a journal, so I combined both the papers and got them published as a book (thanks to the help provided by Indic Academy).

Regards,
Chittaranjan

G S S Murthy

Dec 11, 2019, 5:00:50 AM12/11/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Sir.
"Also, the feasibility of conducting the experiment has to be ascertained both from the point of the technological prowess we currently possess and from the point of the limitations that would be imposed on it by the laws of physics."
Given this escape clause, how can there be any meaningful discussion?
Thanks and regards,
Murthy

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/5204e6ec-814d-486c-8692-5dc8d46ebe33%40googlegroups.com.

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 11, 2019, 7:48:49 AM12/11/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste Sri Murthy-ji,

One needs to keep in mind that the stimulus-response theory too hasn't been experimentally established in a coherent manner and that it is full of logical inconsistencies and conundrums, yet there is much discussion on it in academic journals. In Chapter II of my book, i have undertaken a detailed refutation of the stimulus-response theory and have shown the inconsistencies that arise between the theory and the Indirect Realism that is claimed to result from it. Should we continue to believe in an incoherent theory without subjecting it to an intellectual scrutiny? I do not believe this topic should be dismissed in such a cavalier manner.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 11, 2019, 7:48:49 AM12/11/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste Sri Murthy-ji,

"Given this escape clause, how can there be any meaningful discussion?"

There can be. Today, there is no discussion on the instantaneous perception thesis of the contact theory because the time-lag has been taken to be a 'settled fact'. I have shown in the book (Part II) how the observer has been conflated with the measuring instrument and that the time-lag cannot be taken to be a 'settled fact'. So, irrespective of whether the experiment is feasible today or not, the arguments provided to show that there has been a conflation between the observer and the measuring instrument and that the claimed time-lag hasn't been actually demonstrated affords much scope for discussion.

The first part of the book is a detailed philosophical investigation of the the thread of ontology from the time of Descartes as seen from the standpoint of the Indian philosophical tradition. This too affords much scope for (meaningful) discussion. Also, as i have mentioned in another thread, i have drawn from Bhartrahari's philosophy of language to resolve two problems that have long perplexed Western philosophers namely (i) the relation between mind and matter and (ii) the mind-independency of objects having the datum of consciousness. There is certainly much in the book that we can discuss about.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

Bijoy Misra

Dec 11, 2019, 8:09:21 AM12/11/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Dear Sri Naik,
Such analysis is unscientific.  Supernova explosions are happening everyday.
You may distinguish between the sensory detection and psychic detection.
Please do post any soft-copy essays if you can.
Best regards,
BM

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/5204e6ec-814d-486c-8692-5dc8d46ebe33%40googlegroups.com.
Message has been deleted

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 11, 2019, 9:35:04 AM12/11/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste,

I am curious to know the approach that scholars on this forum take to traditional Indian vidyas. Taking the Indian contact theory of perception as a specific case, which of the two options listed below characterizes the approach that scholars on this forum take to Indian knowledge-systems:

1. The Contact Theory of Perception is still valid today and it can hold its ground against competing theories that are prevalent in the contemporary world.

2. The Contact Theory of Perception was a good theory for its times, i.e., the medieval period, but it has been superseded by recent advancements in human knowledge. It may therefore be of historical interest, to be researched upon by historians of philosophy and culture but it does not have the capacity to stand as a legitimate and valid theory today.

I would be especially interested to know the response of Nyaya, Mimamsa and Vedanta scholars on this forum.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 11, 2019, 9:35:04 AM12/11/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Dear Mr Bijoy Misra-ji,

In order to prevent members from forming their own conceptions about what the experiment that I alluded to in my earlier post is, I am posting here an extract from my book explaining the experiment.

The proposition forming the basis for this experiment is that if there should be a visible event in space, the event would be perceived instantly by the conscious agent (observer) whereas the light from the event would take a certain finite time to travel to another object in space. Thus, if the visual event were to be a large visual flare in space, the human observer would perceive the flare instantly, i.e., as soon as it occurs in space, and would perceive an object located spatially at a certain distance from the flare getting lit up or illuminated by the flare after a finite time interval has elapsed. If the second object (i.e., the one illuminated by the light) were to be substituted by a measuring instrument placed next to the observer’s physical body, then the measuring instrument would register the event after a certain time-lapse whereas the human observer would have perceived the flare instantly (without any time-lapse between the occurrence of the flare in space and its perception by the observer).

Taking a concrete illustration, a visual event occurring in space at a distance of 100 miles from the observer’s body would be perceived instantly by the observer whereas a measuring instrument placed next to the body of the observer would register the visual event only after light has reached it, i.e., after a time interval of 0.000054 seconds (taking the velocity of light to be 1,86,000 miles / second).

In designing a practical experiment, considerations of errors of measurement need to be taken into account. If a human being were to register the time when he perceives the visual event, he would have to record it by pressing some kind of key or button on a time-registering device, such as a stop-watch, to register the time-stamp of the perception of the event. However, such registration of the time-stamp would be subject to human errors arising out of the latency of the human bodily mechanisms, i.e., the time delay occurring from the cognitive episode in which the perception occurs to the initiation of the person’s volition to press the device-key and the inertial time delays of the motor mechanisms of the bodily organs before the device-key is actually pressed. Human errors of the order of 0.5 seconds, or even of 1 second, cannot be ruled out in registering the perception of the visual event. Thus, even though the perception of a visual event may occur instantly, it would be registered with a time-stamp that would be 0.5 seconds or 1 second later than the occurrence of the event. In the case of the visual event, occurring 100 miles away from the observer as illustrated above, the perception would thus be recorded approximately 0.5 seconds to 1 second after the event has occurred (assuming instant perception of the event) whereas an instrument which senses it later in time (i.e., after the light from the source has reached it) would have an earlier time-stamp, i.e., a time-stamp that is only 0.000054 later than the occurrence of the event. In other words, the fact that the event was perceived instantly would be masked by the measurement error of 0.5 seconds to 1 second because the magnitude of the error is far greater than the magnitude of the time taken by light to travel from the source to the measuring instrument. For the error of measurement to be made ineffectual, the visual event would have to be generated so far away in space that the time taken by light from the event to reach the measuring instrument on earth would be sufficiently greater than the human error in registering the time so that the error would be negligible in relation to the time taken by light to travel to the measuring instrument.

I would consider that the generation of the visual event at a distance of 4 light-seconds from the earth would be sufficient to clearly distinguish the time difference between the time an observer perceives it and the time it gets recorded by a measuring instrument. One is tempted to consider a greater distance in order to make the human error truly negligible but it would then entail that the magnitude of the flare would have to be of such a high order that the entire experiment may become infeasible. For, the further away from the earth the flare is created, its magnitude would have to be that much exponentially greater to make it visible to the naked eye on earth. Even a time-lapse of 4 seconds requires the flare to be created at a distance of 7,44,0000 miles from the earth. We would need to detonate a very powerful nuclear device to generate a visual flare at this distance in outer space to make it of the magnitude required for it to be visible to the naked eye on the earth. If we could have a more controlled experimental environment in which the human error can be restricted to say 0.5 seconds, then perhaps a distance of something like 4,64,000 miles with an expected time-lapse of 2.5 seconds may be sufficient and the reduction in distance would make the experiment so much more feasible. In any case, even if the experiment should not be feasible today, the possibility of it being conducted in the future should not be ruled out; we may therefore be granted some indulgence in proposing the experiment considering that the implications of its outcome, if it turns out to be as expected, would be far reaching and indeed no less paradigm changing than the one that changed the face of science at the beginning of the twentieth-century. Our primary interest however is in re-instating perception as a valid means of knowledge (pramana) in the contemporary world.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 11, 2019, 9:35:53 AM12/11/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Dear Mr Bijoy Misra-ji,

"Such analysis is unscientific."

The analysis is undertaken from the praxis of the Indian logical tradition. To dismiss it as unscientific is to show utter disdain to the Indian tradition. I expect arguments to be offered to justify the claim that the analysis may be labelled as unscientific, not summary judgments passed without making an attempt to read the book.

 "Supernova explosions are happening everyday."

Yes, they are. How does that prove that my analysis is unscientific?

"You may distinguish between the sensory detection and psychic detection."

My analysis is restricted to sensory perception.

"Please do post any soft-copy essays if you can."

My book is available in soft-copy form (eBook) as Kindle version, Google book and Apple iBook.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 6:39:21 PM UTC+5:30, Bijoy wrote:
Message has been deleted

Bijoy Misra

Dec 11, 2019, 9:56:40 AM12/11/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Dear Sri Naik,
There is a general confusion to think that Indian tradition is relativistic.
Indian empiricism has an element of intuition and psychic energy built in to the theory.
We don't have a science for intuition yet.  Please read Ramanujan-Hardy letters.
You should study Charaka well to appreciate the role of mind in the overall analysis.
It is not all object space!  I gave a lecture many years (two decades) ago at the inauguration
on MIT AI lab.  I spoke about it.  It remains unsolved.

Let me also request you to operate with scholarly arguments than using arbitrary qualifiers.
Best regards,
BM

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/ae835f58-d4dd-4d78-8d26-b490f41faf0d%40googlegroups.com.

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 11, 2019, 10:32:49 AM12/11/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste,

Here is another extract from the book describing how the experiment would be conducted and its result interpreted.

The Simultaneity Experiment would be conducted along the following lines:

i)                 A space vehicle would be launched from a launch station on the earth carrying a payload consisting of a powerful nuclear explosive capable of generating a flare in space that would be visible to the naked eye at a distance of 4,64,000 miles.

ii)               The payload comprising the nuclear explosive device and its housing would be put into orbit around the earth at a radius of 4,68,000 miles from the centre of the earth, i.e., at a distance of 4,64,000 miles from the surface of the earth.

iii)             There would be an earth station at a select location comprising (a) human observers to record the perception of the flare, and (b) measuring instruments to record the sensing of light signals that arrive from the flare.  There would be 4 to 5 human observers in order to insulate the experiment from accidental aberrations in registering the time of perception by any single observer. Likewise, there would be 4 to 5 measuring instruments to record the time-stamps when light signals from the flare arrive at the earth station so as to provide a good degree of fault-tolerancy of measurement.

iv)              The measuring instruments may be large-format cameras equipped with very long focal length telescopic lenses so that the field of coverage is limited to the area in which the flare would occur. The sensors of the cameras would need to have the required sensitivity to record the available light from the flare without having significant noise intrusion. Ideally the sensitivity of the camera sensors should be of the same order as the sensitivity of the human visual sense. The cameras would be set to burst exposure mode to record 100 images per second providing a measurement accuracy of 0.01 seconds for the time-stamps of the images recorded (this accuracy would be more than adequate for our purpose).

v)               The clocks in all the time-recording devices, for both human observers and measuring instruments, i.e., cameras, will be synchronized to show the same time at any instant.

vi)              The nuclear device would be triggered to explode and create a powerful flare at a pre-decided time. The pre-decided time would be determined by the coincidence of the times when the satellite would be directly above the earth-station and when it would be night-time at the earth station so that the flare would be seen by the human observers in the night-sky, directly above the earth-station.

vii)            The count-down for the creation of the flare shall begin 10 to 20 seconds before the nuclear device is exploded and the cameras shall be activated to start recording the night-sky in burst mode at 100 exposures per second.

viii)          The human observers would register the perception of the flare by pressing a key or button on a digital stop-watch.

ix)              The burst mode recording by the cameras shall continue until the flare subsides. The time-stamp of the frame in which the image of the flare first appears would be considered as the time of sensing of the flare by the instrument.

The readings taken by human observers and those taken by measuring instruments would be segregated into two groups after aberrant readings, if any, are discarded.  The readings for each group will then be aggregated for the purpose of drawing the conclusion.

If there should be a difference of the order of 1.5 seconds or more between the aggregated readings of human beings and the aggregated readings of the measuring instruments, the indirect perception hypothesis would have been falsified. If there should be no significant difference in the readings of the two groups, the status quo would remain.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

G S S Murthy

Dec 11, 2019, 10:52:35 AM12/11/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
1. My understanding Sir, is that the human observer will record the explosion 1.5 secs. earlier as per the New Theory. Am I right?
2. Why a nuclear explosion? All that is needed is an instantaneous lighting device that produces light of sufficient intensity. Will not solar eclipse serve the purpose? I am trying to understand.
Thanks and regards,
Murthy

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 11, 2019, 11:23:18 AM12/11/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्

Dear Sri Bijoy Misra-ji,

There is a general confusion to think that Indian tradition is relativistic.

There is no such confusion in my mind. The Indian tradition is an intellectual tradition aimed at obtaining yathartha-jnana and the science of logical discourse by following which one may obtain it is given by Nyaya Shastra also called Tarka Shastra.

Indian empiricism has an element of intuition and psychic energy built in to the theory.

The Indian system cannot be called empiricism. There is no such division as a-prior reasoning and a-posteriori reasoning in the Indian tradition (as there is in the Western tradition).

Indian logic is based on the seven categories (padarthas) namely dravya, guna, samanya, vishesha, karma, samavaya and abhava and on the pramanas. Indian logic is not based on intuition but on cognition and the removal of hindrances to get to right cognition. The objects of cognition may be physical objects, metaphysical objects (tattvas such as samanya, etc) or psychic objects like mind.

We don't have a science for intuition yet.

Nyaya is a science of cognition and cognition may include extra-ordinary things of the kind that people ordinarily call 'intuitive knowledge'.

.

Please read Ramanujan-Hardy letters.

Okay, but i would say reading Nyaya shastra would give us a better grasp of the Indian logical tradition.

You should study Charaka well to appreciate the role of mind in the overall analysis.

The Charaka Samhita says that one should be well-versed in Nyaya to understand the science presented in its pages.

It is not all object space!

Agreed. As i said above, it consists of the seven padarthas.

Let me also request you to operate with scholarly arguments than using arbitrary qualifiers.

Frankly i do not know which of my statements you are alluding to. If you anytime feel that my reasoning is not correct you may take the liberty to point it out to me.

Regards,

Chittaranjan

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 11, 2019, 11:23:18 AM12/11/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Thank you, Sir, for your kind response.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 8:00:18 PM UTC+5:30, Megh Kalyanasundaram wrote:
Thank you! 🙏

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 11, 2019, 11:25:15 AM12/11/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste Sri Murthy-ji,

My understanding Sir, is that the human observer will record the explosion 1.5 secs. earlier as per the New Theory. Am I right?

You are right, Sir, The only thing I would like to point out is that this is not a new theory, it is an ancient theory that has been in existence in India for more than 2000 years.

Why a nuclear explosion? All that is needed is an instantaneous lighting device that produces light of sufficient intensity.

Again, you are right. I mentioned nuclear explosion because the creation of a sudden flare of the required magnitude would require a great amount of energy to be generated in a short interval of time but if there are other means to generate the energy they would suffice too.

Will not solar eclipse serve the purpose?

No, it has to be a sudden event. Otherwise we will not be able to say that the human observers and the measuring devices are both recording the same event (or same state of the gradually changing eclipse). .

Regards,
Chittaranjan

Bijoy Misra

Dec 11, 2019, 12:13:54 PM12/11/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
That's OK.  I don't want to argue further but I don't see your thesis.
You need to dig more into आकाश and काल
Also you may dig पदार्थ through Bhatrhari.

this is my last mail on the subject.

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 11, 2019, 12:48:38 PM12/11/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Ok Sir, I don't claim to be a sarvajna, so I am open to taking your inputs. :-)

Regards,
Chittaranjan

V Subrahmanian

Dec 11, 2019, 10:22:16 PM12/11/19
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT
On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 9:16 AM Chittaranjan Naik <chit...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Since Vedanta and mithya jnana have been mentioned, I present a few passages of the Upanishads here along with the translations:

Brihadaranyaka: 4.5.15:

image.png

image.png

Chandogya Upanishad 7.14.1:

यत्र नान्यत्पश्यति नान्यच्छृणोति नान्यद्विजानाति स भूमाथ यत्रान्यत्पश्यत्यन्यच्छृणोत्यन्यद्विजानाति तदल्पं यो वै भूमा तदमृतमथ यदल्पं तन्मर्त्यꣳ स भगवः कस्मिन्प्रतिष्ठित इति स्वे महिम्नि यदि वा न महिम्नीति ॥ १ ॥

1. Sanatkumāra said: ‘Bhūmā [the infinite] is that in which one sees nothing else, hears nothing else, and knows [i.e., finds] nothing else. But alpa [the finite] is that in which one sees something else, hears something else, and knows something else. That which is infinite is immortal, and that which is finite is mortal.’ Nārada asked, ‘Sir, what does bhūmā rest on?’ Sanatkumāra replied, ‘It rests on its own power—or not even on that power [i.e., it depends on nothing else]’.

Brihadaranyaka 4.3.21:

तद्वा अस्यैतदतिच्छन्दा अपहतपाप्माभयं रूपम् । तद्यथा प्रियया स्त्रिया सम्परिष्वक्तो न बाह्यं किञ्चन वेद नान्तरमेवमेवायं पुरुषः प्राज्ञेनात्मना सम्परिष्वक्तो न बाह्यं किञ्चन वेद नान्तरं तद्वा अस्यैतदाप्तकाममात्मकाममकामं रूपं शोकान्तरम् ॥ २१ ॥

image.png
image.png

Here is the Nyaya Sutra:  दुःखजन्मप्रवृत्तिदोषमिथ्याज्ञानानामुत्तरोत्तरापाये तदनन्तरापायादपवर्गः’ (न्या. सू. १ । १ । २)

[Mithya jnana (erroneous knowledge) leads to dosha (raaga, dvesha and moha), which result in activity, pravritti, which leads to birth,  continued embodiment, which is endowed with misery.  The sutra says, by eradicating mithya jnana, the entire chain of effects gets remedied and what results is liberation.]  We do not know the 'svarupa' of moksha, liberation, in Nyaya darshana.  Whether there will be perception involving seer, seeing and seen, in the state of liberation as per this darshana is to be studied.

warm regards
subrahmanian.v

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 11, 2019, 11:33:50 PM12/11/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Dear Sri Subbu-ji,

Thank you for citing the relevant portions of the Upanishads and the Nyaya Sutra to show the positions of Vedanta and Nyaya with respect to embodiment and liberation. While i have taken the Vedanta position as the base perspective in my book, for the purpose of explaining perception i have considered the self as it is covered by avarana and is subject to seeing the world as projected by vikshepa because the presence of these two define the conditions under which Reality appears in the form of the world and pratyaksha operates as a pramana.

In general, i have tried to present the operative features of perception taking the features that are common to all the six schools but for the explanation as to how the transparency of perception is achieved, i have relied upon the Vedanta explanation as provided in the Dharmaraja Adhvirananda's Vedanta Paribhasa.

We do not know the 'svarupa' of moksha, liberation, in Nyaya darshana.  Whether there will be perception involving seer, seeing and seen, in the state of liberation as per this darshana is to be studied.

The Nyaya texts that i have read are silent on this aspect. The position of Samkhya seems to be quite close (though not same) to that of Advaita Vedanta. Prakriti is seen even after obtaining jnana due to the force of prarabda but once prarabda runs out, prakriti ceases to dance for purusha because her task is done.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

Regards,
Chittaranjan

V Subrahmanian

Dec 12, 2019, 1:20:11 AM12/12/19
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 10:03 AM Chittaranjan Naik <chit...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Sri Subbu-ji,

We do not know the 'svarupa' of moksha, liberation, in Nyaya darshana.  Whether there will be perception involving seer, seeing and seen, in the state of liberation as per this darshana is to be studied.

The Nyaya texts that i have read are silent on this aspect. The position of Samkhya seems to be quite close (though not same) to that of Advaita Vedanta. Prakriti is seen even after obtaining jnana due to the force of prarabda but once prarabda runs out, prakriti ceases to dance for purusha because her task is done.

Thanks Sri Chitta-ji, for the above clarification on the position of these two Astika darshanas on the topic of moksha.

wram regards
subbu

S Venkatraman

Dec 12, 2019, 1:29:19 PM12/12/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Namaste Naik ji,

After going through most of this series of mails and after understanding them only partially, I now want to read your book on the subject. The question is do I buy the Kindle or the Print version? Does your book quote a lot of Sanskrit shlokas in Devanagari? If so, Print version is what I should go for because Kindle is notorious for garbling Devanagari script. Could you please advise me? Many thanks and regards,

Venkat.

P.s. I have followed with great interest many of your posts in the past in the Advaitin mailing list. I am truly excited to have this opportunity to read a book of yours.

Sent from my iPhone

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 12, 2019, 11:56:22 PM12/12/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Dear Sri Venkatraman-ji,

Many thanks for expressing your interest in reading my book. All the quotations in the book are in English. None of them are in Devanagari script, so you may choose the Kindle or print version, whichever you prefer and find more convenient to read

I would welcome your valuable comments after you read the book.

With thanks and warms regards,
Chittaranjan

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 13, 2019, 2:31:47 AM12/13/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Namaste Irene-ji,

There were so many mails on the 11th that I seemed to have missed reading your mail. My apologies.

Thank you for expressing interest in reading the book.

Yes, ebook versions of the book are available.

Google Play

Kobo

Apple iBook

Kindle and paperback versions for USA and UK are available on amazon.com and amazon.co.uk respectively

Regards,
Chittaranjan

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 8:10 PM Irene Galstian <gnos...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sir,

I'd like to buy your work as an ebook, since no libraries or bookstores I have access to have a hard copy.
Would this be possible?

Best wishes,
Irene

Irene Galstian

Dec 13, 2019, 3:41:16 AM12/13/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste Chittaranjan ji,

Thank you for the reply.
The mistake is mine: when the announcement of your book was made, I checked its availability and didn't find any.
However, after I posted the query on this thread, I looked on Amazon again, and the Kindle version was already there, so I purchased it and removed the post so as not to confuse anybody else.

Best wishes,
Irene
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to bvpar...@googlegroups.com.

Irene Galstian

Dec 13, 2019, 4:00:56 AM12/13/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
PS. By the way, Chittaranjan ji, have you by any chance seen the Russian sci-fi films called Stalker and Solaris? I don't think dubbed versions exist, but English subs are available.
If you're interested, please send a PM.

Irene

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 13, 2019, 2:39:16 PM12/13/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste Irene-ji,

Thank you for purchasing the ebook. I hope you find it of interest.

I see that you were the first to respond to the announcement of the book on this forum. You had also mentioned the German philosopher Heidegger then. It might interest you to know that in the preface to the book, I have referred to Heidegger's view that language in neither prior not posterior to the world, that they are both disclosed together because this idea underpins the Indian Vedic tradition too. There are many parallels between Heidegger's philosophy and Indian philosophy.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

R Balagopal

Dec 13, 2019, 2:39:16 PM12/13/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Namaste,

I bought the Kindle version and is free of any hassles.

For me, the unfamiliar western philosophy has to be overcome. Chittaranjan Ji's, clarity on Vedanta works like an oasis. So more often I got to those pages which renergises and keeps one going 😊

Regards

Balagopal

Yours Faithfully

BALAGOPAL
FEDEX SECURITIES PRIVATE LIMITED
305 Enterprise Centre | Nehru Road | Vile Parle (East) | Mumbai - 400 099.
Tel: + 91- 22-2613 6460-61/ 26117553. MOB: 9821223630
Website:-
www.fedsec.in

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 13, 2019, 2:39:16 PM12/13/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste Irene-ji,

In my younger days, I was an avid reader of science fiction and loved watching sci-fi movies too. But at a certain stage in my life, I stopped watching movies and engaging in other such activities. I hope you understand. Thank you for the offer all the same.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

Irene Galstian

Dec 13, 2019, 3:09:12 PM12/13/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste Chittaranjan ji,

I'm glad I purchased the book.

As for the films, please don't worry about it. I mentioned them only because they aren't sci-fi films in the ordinary sense of the word, but more of visually enhanced experiential/metaphysical meditations. Solaris especially has to do with perception.

Best wishes,
Irene

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 14, 2019, 1:41:43 AM12/14/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste Sri Balagopal-ji,

Thank for you confirming that the Kindle version is okay. I haven't seen it myself, so your confirmation is useful to me.

Thank you also for your kind words regarding the book.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 14, 2019, 1:41:43 AM12/14/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste Irene-ji,

I would welcome your feedback on the book. Of course, there is no hurry, you may take your own time and provide it whenever you complete reading the book. The book introduces a different explanatory framework than that of science and it may take some time to get used to it. For example, the time-delay between the sighting and the hearing of a lightning in the sky seems to so obviously confirm the scientific theory of perception that it is difficult to think there can be an alternate explanation for it. In the Annexure to the second part of the book, I have shown how it can be explained from the standpoint of the Indian logical tradition without causing detriment to the contact theory of perception with its thesis of instantaneous perception. It is a classic case of two incommensurable paradigms in which the judgmental criteria of one does not apply to the other. It would be interesting to see how the notion of paradigms and incommensurability would apply to the field of Indology.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

Nagaraj Paturi

Dec 14, 2019, 2:27:31 AM12/14/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Dear Sri Chittaranjan Naik-ji,

The field of Indology has got to do with the study of Indian /Indic / 'South Asian' texts. There are several established approaches of literary criticism applied to texts.

Formalist criticism
Aesthetic Criticism
Historical criticism
Marxist criticism
Psychoanalytical Criticism
Inter-textual criticism
Reader-response criticism
Mimetic criticism
Symbolic/Archetypal criticism
New Criticism
Structural Criticism
Deconstructionist criticism
Feminist criticism
and so on and so forth.
Among these, the favorite of western Indologists seems to be Historical Criticism.

So if at all there is any possibility of applying the concepts of Philosophy of Science such as that of Scientific Revolutions, Paradigms or Incommensurability etc. to Indology , it is in terms of the methods used by Indologists to study texts, i.e., in terms of  which Indological approach is a Scientific Revolution, Paradigm Shift etc.

Indology does not study Indian /Indic / 'South Asian' texts using concepts of Philosophy of Science. That is it does not or did not show which of the new ideas in Indian /Indic / 'South Asian' texts  is a Scientific Revolution, Paradigm Shift, which Indic text has concepts comparable to Incommensurability etc.

There are certain western scholars who are interested in issues such as which of the new ideas in Indian /Indic / 'South Asian' texts  is a Scientific Revolution, Paradigm Shift, which Indic text has concepts comparable to Incommensurability etc. But they do not come under Indologists.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/ddecb9cf-cd3f-4b78-9796-6ee51a36e341%40googlegroups.com.

--
Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Director,  Inter-Gurukula-University Centre , Indic Academy
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Irene Galstian

Dec 14, 2019, 4:29:33 AM12/14/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
On the other hand, if there is something to say and there is interest, what wasn't established until now can get established. What's now seen as established didn't become so overnight, but evolved out of the readiness to discuss things in a different way (among other things). After Foucault's work, we are better aware of what's involved in such processes.

Irene
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bvpar...@googlegroups.com.

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 14, 2019, 2:01:23 PM12/14/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste Prof Paturi-ji,

Thank you for the educative post on Indology. While I knew some of the approaches to literary criticism that you mention, I wasn't aware there were so many of them.

I agree with you that the concepts of paradigm and incommensurability have been more or less confined to the domain of science but I feel it would be fruitful to bring these concepts to bear upon Indology - not for creating another approach to Indology but for undertaking a critique of the entire field of (Western) Indology. I am a bit tied up this weekend, so I will post another message on Monday and try to expand on the theme.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 16, 2019, 6:37:58 AM12/16/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्

Namaste Prof Paturi-ji,

In this post, I shall submit my thoughts on the idea of bringing the concepts of philosophy of science to bear upon Indology, or more properly on to a critique of Indology.

Though the notions of paradigm, paradigm-shift and incommensurability arose in the context of the philosophical study of science, there is no reason why they would not be applicable to any discipline of human knowledge that seeks to explain reality, or some aspect of reality, whether it be science, philosophy, social sciences, etc, in as much as a paradigm invariably consists of an explanatory framework based on certain parameters that form the underlying basis of the framework. And when these parameters change so radically that the very judgmental criteria of the explanatory framework change, it would result in the birth of a new paradigm that would be incommensurable with the old one.

The notion of paradigm has its origin in the philosophical movement known as ‘verificationism’ attributable to a group of philosophers, scientists and mathematicians of the early twentieth-century called the Logical Positivists. The project undertaken by the Logical Positivists for determining a set of objective verification criteria for the theories of science had to be given up as a futile endeavor because there was no way in which the verification criteria could be made free of the a priori symbolic framework within which scientists operated. It was the failure of this project more than anything else that led Thomas Kuhn to propose the notion of a paradigm wherein it is not the objective truth of a theory that determines its standing as an accepted theory but it is its acceptance by the scientific community as a provisional best explanation model for that aspect of reality that the theory seeks to explain that lends to it the status of an accepted scientific theory. It is this notion of a theory understood not as theory pointing to the truth of reality, or to the truth of that aspect of reality that the theory purports to explain, but of it being a provisional best-explanation model within a situational predicament in which the objective truth of a theory cannot be spoken about meaningfully, that underlies the notion of a paradigm.

The historical events that led to the inability of the Western tradition to speak meaningfully of an objective truth did not begin with the Logical Positivists. It was a problem that had already become endemic in Western philosophy since the time of Descartes and British Empiricism. For, until then, it was assumed that the correspondence theory of truth would hold valid. But, if one couldn’t speak of the perceived world as the real world, how indeed would one be able to substantiate the correspondence theory of truth? If the world were merely mind as the Idealists thought, how may there be an external world with which one’s conceptions may correspond? Or, if, as Locke thought, the world we perceive consists of secondary qualities as brought forth to our sensorium in accordance with the senses we are endowed with and the primary qualities of objects are something we can never know, or even form a conception of, how may one meaningfully speak of correspondence of our conception with objects or their properties thereof? Those who had until then considered the perceived world to be the real world came to be called ‘Naïve Realists’ and it was no more possible for philosophers to naively hold that the conception of truth pointed to the correspondence of our conceptions with the external objects of the world. The Western philosophical tradition hasn’t been able overcome this problem so far. The result of it has been a rather fruitless endeavor to redefine the meaning of the word ‘truth’. Today, this has led to philosophers positing more than ten theories of truth, such as the coherence theory of truth, the pragmatic theory of truth, the semantic theory of truth, the deflationary theory of truth, the consensus theory of truth, the constructivist theory or truth and many other theories of truth, but we are no closer to defining truth now than we were three hundred years ago. It is against this backdrop – of the inability of Western philosophers to define what truth is - that we must look at the genesis of the concepts of paradigm, paradigm-shift and incommensurability. Indeed, we may say that the overarching paradigm of all Western disciplines of knowledge is characterized by a tenuous foundation in which the meaning of word ‘truth’ is not fixed and remains as a floating symbol.

The situation with Indology is no different than it is with science or with any other disciple of knowledge that operates within the overarching paradigm of contemporary Western tradition. And it is this overarching paradigm that provides Indology with the license to ignore the goal of Indian vidyas, which is the obtainment of knowledge of truth, or yathartha-jnana as it is called in the Indian tradition, and to impugn to the authors of the texts of these vidyas extraneous motives which have no basis in the vidyas themselves. It has resulted in shifting the focus of the study of texts from philosophy to the philosopher and towards ascribing ulterior motives to the philosophers’ statements.

Seen from the standpoint of the Indian tradition, the failure of Western philosophy to sustain the correspondence theory of truth is attributable to the tradition lacking a culture of pramanas. The Indian tradition suffers from no such lacuna. There is in the Indian tradition no reason to discard the correspondence theory of truth because it has a robust theory of perception that maintains coherence with reality as it is naturally perceived. To treat the Indian vidyas, which are built on the foundations of a healthy and robust theory of truth, on par with contemporary knowledge disciplines and subject them to analyses from a Western explanatory framework set within an overarching paradigm in which the very meaning of truth is called into question is quite ludicrous. The judgmental criteria of the framework of Indology are incommensurable with those of the ‘paradigm’ of Indian knowledge systems. While Western philosophers have been reduced to speak of private ‘ontological commitments’ instead of the truth, those belonging to the Indian tradition may quite legitimately speak of the truth.  In such a scenario, asking the Indologists to interpret the texts of Indian vidyas would be like asking the monkeys to interpret the texts of physics or mathematics. At the risk of sounding candidly uncharitable towards the Indologists, I would quote Jesus’ words from the Bible:

“Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.” (Mathew 7.6)

The ideas presented here are just some nascent ideas in my mind. They will need to be worked out more cogently and in much more detail but I believe that it would be worthwhile to undertake a critical analysis of the field of Indology using the concepts of paradigm and incommensurability.

Regards,

Chittaranjan

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 16, 2019, 7:31:11 AM12/16/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्

There is in the Indian tradition no reason to discard the correspondence theory of truth because it has a robust theory of perception that maintains coherence with reality as it is naturally perceived

That is the reason it is so important to reinstate pratyaksha as a pramaana in the world today. For without perception being established as a pramaana, it would not be possible to speak meaningfully about the truth at all. It is for this reason alone that the Indian tradition holds pratyaksha to be the jyeshta pramaana, the first and foremost among the pramaanas. My book is just one effort in this direction. If we are to be serious about reviving our culture and our knowledge systems, there would need to be a more sustained effort towards producing extensive philosophical literature on these kinds of topics challenging the opposing views and reinstating the views of the Indian Siddhantas. We would need to build anthologies of research papers on each topic and they would need to be published in a journal dedicated to the revival of Indian philosophies.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

Irene Galstian

Dec 16, 2019, 8:04:36 AM12/16/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Sir,

I was under the impression that the study was of a scientific or metaphysical nature. I now see that unfortunately the slant here is ideological. Take, for example, the labels of 'Indologists' and 'Western philosophers', as if these were homogeneous clumps and not loosely defined groups of individuals with widely differing perceptions and capacities. Consider how would you feel if you were on the receiving end of such labelling. Just because other people with poor judgement have done this, must the tit for tat go on indefinitely? I hoped not, as this isn't the behaviour of civilised people.
On the other hand, if you are engaging with the views of, say, Kant, would it not be clearer to say 'Kant says x, whereas I say y, and z is my presentation of the topic'? Then the reader would be able to go to Kant's work, read his claims in context, then proceed to do the same in your work. Otherwise, a fruitful topic everyone could benefit from would end up turning into yet another round of unproductive bickering.

Irene

Achyut Karve

Dec 16, 2019, 10:41:51 AM12/16/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Dear Vidwans,

How will ब्रह्मम्.सत्यम् जगन मिथ्या be interpreted?  What is the pramana here?

With regards,
Achyut Karve

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 16, 2019, 10:41:51 AM12/16/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Namaste Irene-ji,

Take, for example, the labels of 'Indologists' and 'Western philosophers', as if these were homogeneous clumps and not loosely defined groups of individuals with widely differing perceptions and capacities. Consider how would you feel if you were on the receiving end of such labelling.

This statement actually made me smile. :-)  Consider how an Indian would feel when the study of his entire civilizational culture is labelled as 'Indology'!

Regards,
Chittaranjan

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 16, 2019, 10:41:51 AM12/16/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste Irene-ji,

I can understand your response to my mail but please don't prejudge the book just because I have used certain words that carry with them some baggage. The book is a serious book of a metaphysical and epistemological nature. I have used the label 'Western philosophers' to indicate a class of philosophers that follow the line of thought that has come to us from the Greco-Roman world and blossomed primarily in the Western hemisphere. Is there anything wrong with that? Similarly, I have used the label 'Indologists' to indicate those scholars who study Indian texts not from the praxis of the Indian tradition itself but adopt a different approach and different method than the traditional ones and having their origins in the Western world. Is there anything wrong with that?

Also, the approach that philosophers of the Indian Vedic tradition take to philosophy is drastically different than the approach that Western philosophers take. Unfortunately, the approach of Indian Vedic philosophies hasn't been fleshed out in the modern / contemporary world. I have tried to describe it briefly in the preface to the book. I request you to read the preface and we can discuss further if you wish.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

Irene Galstian

Dec 16, 2019, 11:22:23 AM12/16/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste Chittaranjan ji,

Yes, 'Indology' - that's exactly what I meant when I wrote that paragraph. But I do see your point too: any word we use could potentially carry overtones we don't ourselves intend when we use the word. Your response indicates that you genuinely do want to get things clarified. Perhaps if we'd been talking face to face I wouldn't have misunderstood the earlier post, but I'm glad you've resolved my doubts.

No danger of me prejudging the book. The task is difficult, and you're a brave man for getting the ball rolling. Personally, I really want this to be the book that gets a good conversation going. There are many minds in the West and in the East ready for this, which wasn't the case 200 years ago, or even 100 years ago.

Best wishes,
Irene

Amith Vikram D

Dec 16, 2019, 12:53:06 PM12/16/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Hello Irene,

If you read the preface, Chittaranjan ji has broken down the complex Vedic framework and made it easier for even the first time reader to comprehend the vast subject. However, that doesn't reduce his arguments to being merely dogmatic. He has challenged the contemporary view in the most civilized way possible, in spite of the Vedic worldview being on the receiving end from a long time. It's purely a debate. And the civility lies in countering it with arguments, if so capable. Due to the lack of any framework, the entire philosophical tradition of the west becomes nothing but mere skepticism.

Regards
Amith

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 16, 2019, 12:53:06 PM12/16/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste Irene-ji,

Thank you for your understanding and your kind words.

Personally, I really want this to be the book that gets a good conversation going. There are many minds in the West and in the East ready for this, which wasn't the case 200 years ago, or even 100 years ago.

I am worried more about the minds in the East really. We have many scholars among us but very few philosophers. Indian philosophies have got fossilized at the beginning of the seventeenth century and we need new scholar-philosophers who can resurrect them and breathe new life into them.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

Irene Galstian

Dec 16, 2019, 12:57:30 PM12/16/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Hello Amith,

I was responding not to the book but to a recent post, and the misunderstanding has been resolved.

Best wishes,
Irene

Irene Galstian

Dec 16, 2019, 1:13:52 PM12/16/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste Chittaranjan ji,

There is its own share of good and not so good circumstances in the East and in the West. Or, in other words, among humankind, at whatever address this humankind happens to reside. However, in spite of this, once the conversation starts and gathers its own momentum, more research will start happening and fresh minds will join in. The point has never been to convince idiosyncratic 70 year olds to change their ways. As Thomas Kuhn pointed out, the old generations and their prejudices pass, and new minds assess the ideas differently. The hard work is to start the process out of one's own energy and to have enough staying power until the trend starts among other people.

Best wishes,
Irene

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 17, 2019, 2:19:10 AM12/17/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste Irene-ji,

I resonate well with your post. The only thing I would like to add to what you said is that the revolution alluded to here is not a mere intellectual revolution of the kind that Kuhn called a 'scientific revolution' but a Nietzschean kind of revolution in which the intellect also soars into the realm of song and dance.

"There it was too that I picked up the word 'Superman' and that man is something that must be overcome, that man is a bridge and not a goal; counting himself happy for his noontides and evenings, as a way to new dawn ...."

"I taught them all my art and aims: to compose into one and bring together what is fragment and riddle and dreadful chance in man -

" as poet, reader of riddles, and redeemer of chance, I taught them to create the future, and to redeem by creating -- all that was past.

"To redeem that part of mankind and to transform every 'It was', until the will says: 'But I willed it thus! So shall I will it -'

"this did I call redemption, this alone did I teach them to call redemption.

"Now I await my redemption - that I may go to them for the last time.

"For I want to go to men once more: I want to go under among them, I want to give them, dying, my richest gift!"

(From Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra).

Regards,
Chittaranjan

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 17, 2019, 2:53:06 AM12/17/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Thank you Amith-ji for that. I would welcome comments and debate on the approach mentioned in the preface, especially from the Nyaya, Mimamsa and Vedanta scholars on this forum. The approach described in the preface has been obtained by construing the words of the Nyaya text 'Nyayamanjari' by Jayanta Bhatta.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

Irene Galstian

Dec 17, 2019, 3:33:51 AM12/17/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste Chittaranjan ji,

Of course, if it was yet another 'upgrade', the task would have been easier. The trouble with 'upgrades' is that they are frustrating at the same time: there's something pitiful about yet another bigger and 'better' iPhone, and a frustrated being poking it with its fingers, while cursing autocorrect. Fragmented existence weighs heavily on one's life, even though human beings can just about survive in suboptimal states.

I'm curious about Mimamsa responses to your work and have subscribed to the thread not to miss new posts.

Best wishes,
Irene

Kalicharan Tuvij

Dec 17, 2019, 8:45:30 AM12/17/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Overcoming unwillingness to respond in such threads, let me make an exception, for once.

1) Advaita in particular, and vedAnta in general, cannot lay claim to be representatives of Hinduism. However, if such impressions are given, then no discussions can take place (i.e. people just let you be).

2) So, success or failure of Advaita etc in coming to terms (or not) with modern Science has no bearing whatsoever on the state or wellbeing of Hinduism in general.

3) Coming from non-vedantic standpoint (shared with the majority of Hindus), Advaita to me is a mere sect of Hinduism (empirically known, Yes?) involved in brahm(an) bhakti.

4) The point above has traditionally led the expectation that an Advaitin should rather observe a vow of silence, not quite what is observed in the modem day affiliates (i.e. Advaitins being the most vocal; Kaliyuga effect?).

5) A sect is like a tool tailored for a particular task. Brahm(an) bhakti is not meant to be misused like this.

6) All the above is in addition to basic errors in understanding the technicalities (makes one angry) as pointed to by a member who is an astrophysicist.

7) So my heartfelt best wishes to modern Advaitins in their struggles against "Western tradition" on one hand and "less enlightened Hindus" on the other.

Irene Galstian

Dec 17, 2019, 8:51:38 AM12/17/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
OK. What would you suggest?
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/7a3aa021-b22c-40e0-87ca-15274d331367%40googlegroups.com.

Kalicharan Tuvij

Dec 17, 2019, 9:15:21 AM12/17/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
 Hope (best) to waste my life suggesting neti-neti only.

Irene Galstian

Dec 17, 2019, 9:19:26 AM12/17/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
OK.

On 12/17/19, Kalicharan Tuvij <kalich...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hope (best) to waste my life suggesting neti-neti only.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/CA%2B4Q%3Dimc9ygXFVRHi%2BzHvOTg8H%3DMQ%2Bu0d3eb4tNw95sfOdrKNQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 18, 2019, 5:53:56 AM12/18/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्

Namaste Sri Kalicharan-ji,

I enjoyed reading your post. Most of the points you make deserve to be discussed in a separate thread of their own; I will here comment on only one point which I see to be having relevance to this thread.

....success or failure of Advaita etc in coming to terms (or not) with modern Science has no bearing whatsoever on the state or wellbeing of Hinduism in general.

The goal of Advaita is liberation through the acquisition of Self-Knowledge. In science, there is no such thing as the self, and the consciousness which Advaita holds to be the essential nature of the self is considered to be a product of the physical brain. Thus, according to science, all our experiences would have neural processes of the brain as their substrate. Now, this would lead to interesting conclusions such as the one reproduced below from the Journal of Neuropsychiatry, Vol 24, Issue 4, Fall 2012:

The authors have analyzed the religious figures Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and St. Paul from a behavioral, neurologic, and neuropsychiatric perspective to determine whether new insights can be achieved about the nature of their revelations. Analysis reveals that these individuals had experiences that resemble those now defined as psychotic symptoms, suggesting that their experiences may have been manifestations of primary or mood disorder-associated psychotic disorders.”

What is said of Jesus, Abraham and Moses could well have been said of those people who have had yogic experiences or the Advaita experience of liberation. And at the point of death of the physical body, there would be neither liberation (in the form of videha-mukti) nor any storage of merits and demerits to be carried over to a future birth. Instead, consciousness and the stream of conscious experience that characterized the experience of this life would be switched off - ‘pouf’, just like that.

Sir, do you still believe that the success or failure of Advaita etc in coming to terms (or not) with modern Science would have no bearing whatsoever on the state or well-being of Hinduism?

Regards,

Chittaranjan

Irene Galstian

Dec 18, 2019, 6:57:59 AM12/18/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
I also think that the state of well-being of Hinduism (however you wish to define this word) has nothing to do with science. Modern science is still largely materialistic, and there are scientists who think that the Vedas are 'primitive', 'tribal' and things like that.  Where's the surprise that there would also be scientists who think that Jesus, Moses, etc are psychotics?

Irene

Kalicharan Tuvij

Dec 18, 2019, 11:20:13 AM12/18/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, December 18, 2019, Chittaranjan Naik <chit...@gmail.com> wrote:

enjoyed reading your post.

Thanks. But also let us take care not to extend discussing these specific points indefinitely (gives me shivers; old memories with Vedanti-s).

The goal of Advaita is liberation through the acquisition of Self-Knowledge.

The goal of Hinduism, however, is: Completeness. To achieve this, sometimes (a lifetime or two) someone needs total aloofness- popularly known as liberation when acheived. Advaita is a sect catering such specific needs within Hinduism.

 In science, there is no such thing as the self, and the consciousness which Advaita holds to be the essential nature of the self is considered to be a product of the physical brain.

Advaita doesn't seek to explain anything, whereas science seeks to explain things (to predict and exploit behaviour). Therefore both, understandably, make use of different tools.

Thus, according to science, all our experiences would have neural processes of the brain as their substrate.

Science has made no such claim that it has understood brain processes.

Now, this would lead to interesting conclusions such as the one reproduced below from the Journal of Neuropsychiatry, Vol 24, Issue 4, Fall 2012:

The authors have analyzed the religious figures Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and St. Paul from a behavioral, neurologic, and neuropsychiatric perspective to determine whether new insights can be achieved about the nature of their revelations. Analysis reveals that these individuals had experiences that resemble those now defined as psychotic symptoms, suggesting that their experiences may have been manifestations of primary or mood disorder-associated psychotic disorders.”

Note the words "may have been". Plus, not many think of psychiatry as science (i.e. that which can predict behaviour) in proper sense.

 What is said of Jesus, Abraham and Moses could well have been said of those people who have had yogic experiences or the Advaita experience of liberation.

Yogic experiences are unique and robust experiences (often gifting a lasting siddhi), whereas Advaitic experiences are common (in varying degree) to all genuine affiliates of that sect.

 Additionally there are statistical phenomena (inevitable rarities) such as a Ramakrishna in the debauchered backwaters of India, or a Jesus in the badlands of the world, etc.

And at the point of death of the physical body, there would be neither liberation (in the form of videha-mukti) nor any storage of merits and demerits to be carried over to a future birth. Instead, consciousness and the stream of conscious experience that characterized the experience of this life would be switched off - ‘pouf’, just like that.

Science is agnostic about these. So the problem is not with science, the problem is with armies of slaves that think killing people in the name of ideologies causes liberation.

Sir, do you still believe that the success or failure of Advaita etc in coming to terms (or not) with modern Science would have no bearing whatsoever on the state or well-being of Hinduism?

Brahm is a Sanskrit word with a precise pointer. Vedanti-s didn't discover this word. What I believe is that - forget preaching / bombarding the world with pet theories - Vedanti-s weren't even supposed to utter the name brahm.

In general, too, a Hindu in a public discourse should refrain from giving away his sectarian identity, that is something deeply private. A Hindu must discover that common language to talk to other Hindu, particularly if he wants to lead them into the impending war (literal here).

Sanskrit is that common language. Breakthroughs are needed here, not anywhere else. Which in turn will help "coming to terms" with modern science which anyway has not progressed far beyond the basis of number system and zero that came out from the very common discourse of Hindus.

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 18, 2019, 12:50:39 PM12/18/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्

Namaste Sri Kalicharan-ji,

Thanks. But also let us take care not to extend discussing these specific points indefinitely (gives me shivers; old memories with Vedanti-s).

Well, you have got into it now, shivers or no shivers. J

The goal of Advaita is liberation through the acquisition of Self-Knowledge.

The goal of Hinduism, however, is: Completeness.

Are you disputing that the goal of Advaita is liberation / Self-knowledge?

Advaita is a sect catering such specific needs within Hinduism.

Advaita is not a sect catering to some ordinary specific needs. It is Para Vidya, the Highest of all vidyas among the fourteen vidya-sthanas (Chaturdasa vidyas) that confer knowledge of dharma and it caters to the ultimate goal of all human life, moksha, which is the fourth of the purusharthas.

 In science, there is no such thing as the self, and the consciousness which Advaita holds to be the essential nature of the self is considered to be a product of the physical brain.

Advaita doesn't seek to explain anything,

It does. Please look up the prasthana-trayi texts. It seeks to explain the nature of Brahman, the relation between Brahman and the self and the relation between Brahman and the world.

whereas science seeks to explain things (to predict and exploit behaviour). Therefore both, understandably, make use of different tools.

The problem we are trying to address is about those areas of knowledge that science encroaches upon without the tools it uses giving it the warrant to do so.

Thus, according to science, all our experiences would have neural processes of the brain as their substrate.

Science has made no such claim that it has understood brain processes.

We are not discussing the claim of science with respect to it having understood brain processes but about the claim of science that the brain is to be regarded as the physical substrate of consciousness and conscious experience.

Also, the claims of science are always in the form of best-explanation models which are held to be provisionally true until a better model comes along. It is an approach that is called ‘positivist’. Within such a scheme, science does claim that consciousness is dependent on neural processes of the brain even though it may not claim to have provided an accurate explanation of all brain processes.

Now, this would lead to interesting conclusions such as the one reproduced below from the Journal of Neuropsychiatry, Vol 24, Issue 4, Fall 2012:

The authors have analyzed the religious figures Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and St. Paul from a behavioral, neurologic, and neuropsychiatric perspective to determine whether new insights can be achieved about the nature of their revelations. Analysis reveals that these individuals had experiences that resemble those now defined as psychotic symptoms, suggesting that their experiences may have been manifestations of primary or mood disorder-associated psychotic disorders.”

Note the words "may have been".

The point to be considered is that science thinks the physical world forms a causal closure, so any explanation it provides for consciousness and conscious experience will have to have the physical brain as the substrate from which a causal explanation can come. The words “may have been” merely indicate that scientists think they are proceeding in the right direction.

 What is said of Jesus, Abraham and Moses could well have been said of those people who have had yogic experiences or the Advaita experience of liberation.

Yogic experiences are unique and robust experiences (often gifting a lasting siddhi), whereas Advaitic experiences are common (in varying degree) to all genuine affiliates of that sect.

Additionally there are statistical phenomena (inevitable rarities) such as a Ramakrishna in the debauchered backwaters of India, or a Jesus in the badlands of the world, etc.

These are just assertions; they don’t have the power to ether reject the claims of science or to provide a justification for the assertions made.

And at the point of death of the physical body, there would be neither liberation (in the form of videha-mukti) nor any storage of merits and demerits to be carried over to a future birth. Instead, consciousness and the stream of conscious experience that characterized the experience of this life would be switched off - ‘pouf’, just like that.

Science is agnostic about these.

If science is agnostic about consciousness, then why does it invest so much time and effort in neuroscience for seeking an explanation for consciousness?

Science is not agnostic about consciousness, it is positivist and it operates under the premise that the physical world forms a causal closure.

So the problem is not with science, the problem is with armies of slaves that think killing people in the name of ideologies causes liberation.

This comment is irrelevant to our discussion.

Regards,

Chittaranjan

R Balagopal

Dec 18, 2019, 12:50:39 PM12/18/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Namaste,

IMHO 'advaita' is not an opinion or philosophy but a truth that one arrives ultimately. Until then wherever one is, is the fact for him.  In that sense it is not in contradiction with any one. 'MAndUkya Upanishad, it's 'kArikas' by GP and the Bhaashyam by Sri Shankara has extensively covered all these. Any incongruencies in BS too.

If one is unable to pick up the messages in them, it is up to the person to step up his cognition, knowledge skills, chittasuddhi etc and try again. Like the Ophthalmologist checking the power of lenses for eyeglasses.

To grasp 'pRatibodha viditam matam' one will have to step back from objectification on which Science and all other philosophies bases their inquiry. An unprepared mind simply either refuse or fail to understand the fact that the eyes can see others and not itself. But that understanding that one can 'see' others is enough to own up to the fact that he has his own functioning eyes. So it is not a 'Brahman bhakthi' that is driving an 'advaitin'. Really speaking in 'advaitam' there is no one standing separate to call 'Brahman' at all.

So they are right in their perspectives and 'advaita' has no role there. It's like if one is travelling from Mumbai to Delhi by train and a person gets down at Surat claiming that to be Delhi, Advaitin tells him that it is Surat and NOT Delhi. But the person has all the freedom to alight at Surat. As and when he learns his mistake, he can board the next train. There is no problem and no hurry. Hopefully he will reach Delhi if he doesn't get down at Ratlam Junction claiming it to be Delhi .

In any case, these are very basic ideas that need to be straightened out early on in the journey of a 'mumukshu'.

Regards

Balagopal

Yours Faithfully

BALAGOPAL
FEDEX SECURITIES PRIVATE LIMITED
305 Enterprise Centre | Nehru Road | Vile Parle (East) | Mumbai - 400 099.
Tel: + 91- 22-2613 6460-61/ 26117553. MOB: 9821223630
Website:-
www.fedsec.in

Amith Vikram D

Dec 18, 2019, 12:50:39 PM12/18/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste all,

I am submitting the review of the book in this forum if that okay. Hope this is useful -

I would caution the reader to not be intimidated by the title of the book, for it may appear to be a micro-analysis of a subject matter that is far from interesting. That is primarily because of our preconceived notion that, perception is a universally settled matter and there could be no possibility of any contrary view pertaining to the matter. This book, from the very first sentence, takes off at a tremendous pace - as it is nothing short of a compelling intellectual thriller! The preface of this book is an inseparable portion as it lays down the sophisticated framework of the Vedic worldview. It has been broken down is such a way that even a first time reader would be able to grasp the subtlety of the subject matter, which otherwise requires a sharp intellect and years of study to comprehend.

There have been no attempts to question the validity of the western academic tradition whether it be of philosophical or scientific in nature. The philosophical skepticism of the west, over the years have inevitably overlapped into the scientific methodology, as demonstrated in this book, owing to the lack of a sophisticated framework in either of the systems. The philosophical skepticism has transformed into scientific skepticism, because of which ‘science’ is still incapable of explaining the hypothesis it postulates. So, it is apparent that we are not obligated to accept without questioning, the contemporary worldview held by scientists.

The author challenges the contemporary view of science at its most vulnerable point - the theory of perception. The Vedic philosophical worldview has been dismissed with contempt by both philosophers and scientists - ironically, without countering it. It might seem to be very strange that the author uses the same framework of Pramanas that is used in Vedic philosophies to counter the scientific worldview and yet upholds a theory, which is consistent - epistemologically, ontologically and metaphysically. Furthermore, this is one of the key points of this book which has a much larger implication, which the reader will discover towards the end of the book.

Most contemporary scholars of Indian philosophical tradition often claim that Vedas are scientific, but only superficially, without offering anything in support, thus reducing such claims to be a mere rhetoric. Consequently, academicians and scientists may dismiss such claims as pseudo-science. The author on the other hand takes the bull by the horns and thereby dismisses the scientific theories as unreasonable and establishes the conformity of the Vedas with Truth and not with unvalidated scientific theories.

The author, like a seasoned commander of an army, proceeds to strike at the heart of the dogmatic scientific theories which have been taught to us as gospel truth, with incisive precision. By using familiar terminologies and a straightforward style of writing, the author distills his enormous scholarship and makes it easy for even a layperson to easily read and comprehend. There is no prior understanding of either Indian or western philosophical systems necessary for the reader. This book can be classified under one of the unputdownables as mysteries of esoteric subjects like Shabda pramana are unravelled gradually and breaks the shackles of blind belief. It can be read in a single sitting, however, the mysteries unravelled will compel you to stop and ponder. Our whole worldview is turned upside down as it decimates the misconceptions and lays bare the shallowness of theories which are not supported by proper framework.

The sixth chapter of the book will not only put the lay reader in awe but even the experts in the field of Vedic philosophy. The stimulus theory that the brain processes the neural signals from the eye - falls flat and even the view of science on consciousness breaks apart, thus marking a paradigm shift.

The author clarifies, that although it is indeed a paradigm shift, the Vedic worldview has always upheld this in their Darshanas.There are severe and far reaching implications on not only the contemporary scientific views but also on contemporary views on Vedic Darshanas. The author has comprehensively proved that the lag or delay in perception is untenable and that, perception is immediate as per the contact-theory of perception, which the author proposes. If you think I have spoiled the book for you, wait till you read the sixth chapter. But the extent of the implication does not stop there because, while explaining the contact theory of perception, the author has brought into the discourse, the entire Vedic framework along with its darshanas. So what is the greater implication?

We have all witnessed the emphatic way in which the scientific community has upheld the absence of the role of a sentient being on the pretext of negation of causality. So the narrative is reduced to scientists vs philosophers or science vs religion. Chittaranjan Naik bravely confronts this atheistic worldview which none of the philosophers including Vedic scholars have done until now. The author handles the most difficult topic of the law of causality in such a pragmatic way that it conforms to both reason and methodology. While the law of causality is determined to be only apparent and not absolute, the final conclusion is radically opposite to the atheistic worldview and instead emphatically declares the self-luminous sentient being as the absolute.

Notwithstanding this disruption in contemporary theories, many Vedic philosophers too, will be obliged to defend their philosophical positions as the author sticks to one particular darshana thus giving the contact theory of perception a level of consistency and coherence. This book poses an immediate threat to The departure from a cognitive nature of Vedanta to an empirical one among contemporary Vedantins. To further break it down, it upholds the validity of Shruti pramana. The arguments in this book can be compared to the mimamsakas of antiquity, who rescued the validity of Shruti pramana from the vitanda of logicians. It is for this reason that this book is of paramount importance, even without the artificial marketing gimmicks employed. A truth seeker, will certainly cherish the wisdom in this book, whether one agrees with the author or not.

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 18, 2019, 1:06:07 PM12/18/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्

Namaste Irene-ji,

I agree with you that it is not surprising to know that the scientists who think the Vedas are primitive and tribal also think that Jesus, Moses, etc were psychotics. If it were a matter of merely what the scientists think, it would have hardly mattered to Hinduism but when these kinds of thoughts are presented as part of the body of human knowledge that reigns supreme in the world today, namely science, it does have a deleterious effect on the practice of Hinduism because the vast majority of people in the world, including Hindus, take these scientific hypotheses and theories to be true, even unquestioningly true. I shall briefly try to make explicit how it affects Hinduism, or the practice of Hinduism.

Hinduism consists of two broad paths; they are known as the paths of pravritti-dharma and nivritti-dharma. Nivritti-dharma is the path of knowledge and it is characterized by renunciation. Pravritti-dharma is the path of action and it is characterized by action impelled by desire for objects. These two paths are interlinked inasmuch as it is the pursuit of pravritti-dharma, the path of righteous action, that leads to the attainment of mental purity and confers the necessary qualifications to be able to pursue the path of knowledge in a manner that will bear fruition.

A person who is on the path of knowledge (nivritti) is not affected by what scientists think or by the scientific theories prevailing in the world. By virtue of possessing the necessary qualifications for pursuing the path of knowledge, he or she is endowed with viveka-jnana, the discriminatory knowledge by which he or she can cleave through the chaff of dubious knowledge and be able to cognize the truth of reality. But such people are few in number; they form a minuscule percentage of the Hindu population. The vast majority of Hindus are fit only for pravritti-dharma, the path of action, and it is by diligently pursuing this path that they will eventually obtain, some in this birth and some after many births, the necessary qualifications for pursuing the path of nivritti. It is for this vast majority of the Hindu population - that is fit for the path of pravritti - that the presence of scientific theories in society makes a difference. How so?

The self of an embodied person appears in the state of embodiment as an agent of action. In this condition, it exhibits three powers known as iccha-shakti (the power of will/desire), jnana-shakti (the power of knowledge) and kriya-shakti (the power of action). Kriya or action springs from the jnana or knowledge that is presupposed to be right. That knowledge which is presupposed to be right may actually be right or wrong, so the action that springs from it may accordingly be rightly directed or wrongly directed depending on whether it is based on right-knowledge regarding dharma or wrong-knowledge regarding dharma. So, in order that a Hindu who is qualified to pursue pravritti-dharma – and this represents the majority of the Hindus – should be able to abide by the prescriptions of pravritti-dharma, he should have prior knowledge of what this dharma is. But if his education and social acculturation have implanted deep-seated beliefs within his mind that there is no such thing as the self or that there is no question of the self outliving the fall of the body or of transmigrating from one body to another, then what kind of action (kriya) would proceed from such beliefs (knowledge presupposed to be right)?  He is likely to disregard the prescriptions of dharma altogether. So, you see, the theories of science – at least such of those theories that claim to explain consciousness, perception, etc , - do have a deleterious effect on the practice of Hinduism.

Regards,

Chittaranjan

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 19, 2019, 12:43:56 AM12/19/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste Sri Amith-ji,

Thank you for posting the review of the book. I have been trying to get the book critically reviewed by some scholars since the last 3 months and am still awaiting to hear from them. Yours is the first review of the book and it has come from an unexpected direction. I am grateful to you for it. That the review is positive is an added bonus for me. :-)  But as you have indicated in the final sentence, I am open to criticism and the reader / reviewer need not agree with me. What is more important is that we begin a dialogue between our vidyas and contemporary theories so that the enormous intellectual wealth we are sitting on is brought out for contributing to the shaping of our future destiny instead of being confined to the museums.

Thank you once again.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

Amith Vikram D

Dec 19, 2019, 12:56:12 PM12/19/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste Chittaranjan ji,

I am younger to you in both age and learning. Thank you for having kindly overlooked my audacity to review your work.

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 20, 2019, 1:49:01 AM12/20/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Deae Amith-ji,

As you would be aware, in the pursuit of philosophy, it is not physical age that matters but the wisdom and ripeness of the soul that matters. I can see from your synopsis that you have a love for philosophy and that you have been able to capture the essence of the approach and direction of the book well and present its gist in a comprehensive manner. So, rather than consider your review as an audacious effort, I am grateful to you for it and wish you all the best in your endeavors.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 24, 2019, 2:06:15 AM12/24/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste Prof Paturi-ji,

I was glancing through Chapter 5 of Prof Adluri and Prof Bagjee's 'The Nay Science' titled 'Critique of Indology as a Science' and I was (pleasantly) surprised to see that the authors have brought some of the concepts of philosophy of science, and Comte's Positivism in a larger context, to bear upon a critique of Indology. They have also brought in verificationaism and the problem of truth in their analysis. From whatever little i have read of Prof Adluri and Prof Bagjee, i must say that i am highly impressed by their work.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

On Monday, December 16, 2019 at 5:07:58 PM UTC+5:30, Chittaranjan Naik wrote:

[...]

Nagaraj Paturi

Dec 24, 2019, 3:07:25 AM12/24/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Dear Sri Cittaranjan-ji,

Yes, it is possible to do such an analysis on any modern academic discipline.

Positivism is one such aspect which has sway over almost all the modern academic disciplines.

Prof Adluri and Prof Bagjee  are thoroughly trained in the discipline of Philosophy itself.

So they are well qualified to take up such a study.

--------------------------------------

But the point about your work that I would like to highlight is that all these years, when people compared modern science and Indic shaastras and said, 'to the extent  of pratyaksha pramaaNa, both have a common ground. It is only with regard to the other pramaaNas such as s'abda pramaaNa, the difference and dispute starts', they took it for granted that the pratyaksha pramaaNa of vaidika shaastras is the same as the direct evidence of modern science. Your work should alert such scholars to the fact that  pratyaksha pramaaNa of vaidika shaastras is  not exactly the same as the direct evidence of modern science. There is a difference in the idea of perception involved in  pratyaksha pramaaNa of vaidika shaastras and the direct evidence of modern science.

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Director,  Inter-Gurukula-University Centre , Indic Academy
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Chittaranjan Naik

Dec 24, 2019, 10:03:11 PM12/24/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste Prof Paturi-ji,

I don't generally read books on Indology (I am not familiar with the various interpretive frameworks they use) but I have marked the Nay Science as one of the book that I must read.

Thank you for highlighting the aspect of my book which brings out the point that the Vedic concept of pratyaksha is different from the modern notion of empirical observation. The following entry in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy informs us that the 'observation reports' of science are actually complex mixtures of pratyaksha and inferential reasoning.

Regards,
Chittaranjan

 .