Origin of the following slokas/mantras

Raghav

Nov 30, 2022, 12:35:55тАпAM11/30/22
to рднрд╛рд░рддреАрдпрд╡рд┐рджреНрд╡рддреНрдкрд░рд┐рд╖рддреН
Dear scholars,

I am curious to understand the origin of the following slokas/mantras that are often quoted together but have no apparent connection with each other as a couplet.

1. shivAya vishNu rUpAya shiva rUpAya vishNavE
2. shivascha hridayam vishNuh vishNoscha hridayagm shivam

I have heard from some that they appear as part of sandhyA vandana. I belong to the Krishna Yajur Veda shakha and these are not part of what I recite everyday at least in the tradition I have been handed down. I understand there are several traditions and am curious if this is part of anyone's sandhya vandana ritual. Even so, they must be originally from some section of the Veda/Itihasas/Puranas. I'd be curious to know the original Veda/Itihasa/Purana from which they came to be part of sandhya.

Appreciate your help!
DhanyavAdah

--
Raghav Karumur
Researcher in Oriental studies

Raghav Karumur

Nov 30, 2022, 12:35:55тАпAM11/30/22
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com

shankara

Nov 30, 2022, 2:09:51тАпAM11/30/22
to рднрд╛рд░рддреАрдпрд╡рд┐рджреНрд╡рддреНрдкрд░рд┐рд╖рддреН
Namaste,

This verse is from Skandopanishad.

regards
shankara

V Subrahmanian

Nov 30, 2022, 2:13:37тАпAM11/30/22
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
These lines occur in many puranas and Mahabharata with some variations:

рдкрджреНрдордкреБрд░рд╛рдгрдореН/рдЦрдгреНрдбрдГ реи (рднреВрдорд┐рдЦрдгреНрдбрдГ)/рдЕрдзреНрдпрд╛рдпрдГ режренрез

рд╢рд┐рд╡рд╛рдп рд╡рд┐рд╖реНрдгреБрд░реВрдкрд╛рдп рд╢рд┐рд╡рд░реВрдкрд╛рдп рд╡рд┐рд╖реНрдгрд╡реЗ рее реиреж рее
рд╢рд┐рд╡рд╕реНрдп рд╣реГрджрдпрдВ рд╡рд┐рд╖реНрдгреБрд░реНрд╡рд┐рд╖реНрдгреЛрд╢реНрдЪ рд╣реГрджрдпрдВ рд╢рд┐рд╡рдГ ред┬а

They occur in Skandopanishat with this full form which is recited by Kannada and Telugu Smarta-s┬а during their Sandhya vandanam thrice a day.┬а┬а

рд╢рд┐рд╡рд╛рдп рд╡рд┐рд╖реНрдгреБрд░реВрдкрд╛рдп рд╢рд┐рд╡рд░реВрдкрд╛рдп рд╡рд┐рд╖реНрдгрд╡реЗ ред
рд╢рд┐рд╡рд╕реНрдп рд╣реГрджрдпрдВ рд╡рд┐рд╖реНрдгреБрдГ рд╡рд┐рд╖реНрдгреЛрд╢реНрдЪ рд╣реГрджрдпрдВ рд╢рд┐рд╡рдГ рее реорее
рдпрдерд╛ рд╢рд┐рд╡рдордпреЛ рд╡рд┐рд╖реНрдгреБрд░реЗрд╡рдВ рд╡рд┐рд╖реНрдгреБрдордпрдГ рд╢рд┐рд╡рдГ ред
рдпрдерд╛рдиреНрддрд░рдВ рди рдкрд╢реНрдпрд╛рдорд┐ рддрдерд╛ рдореЗ рд╕реНрд╡рд╕реНрддрд┐рд░рд╛рдпреБрд╖рд┐ рее репрее

regards
subbu
┬а
Appreciate your help!
DhanyavAdah
--
Raghav Karumur

Mathukumalli Vidyasagar

Nov 30, 2022, 9:23:10тАпAM11/30/22
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Dear Shri Raghav,

1. It is definitely a part of the sandhyavandanam that I recite.┬а I am also an adherent of the Krishna Yajurveda Shakha.

2. The book I have for the sandhyavandanam has citations for most of the prayers, but not for this one!┬а Instead, there is an annotation that "Though this is not a mantra, it is customary to recite this."┬а

3. The book is Sanskrit in Telugu script, with diacritical marks, and meanings in Telugu.┬а It is published in 1964 by VaaviLLA Ramaswamy Sastrulu & Sons who are considered the last word in such things.

Hope this helps and best wishes.┬а Please feel free to write back as needed.

Sagar

Mathukumalli Vidyasagar

Nov 30, 2022, 9:23:11тАпAM11/30/22
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Shri Shankara!┬а Much appreciated.

Sagar

Aravinda Rao

Nov 30, 2022, 10:58:47тАпAM11/30/22
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Namaskars,┬а
Sometime ago I explained the sandhyavandanam in a small book on the occasion of the upanayanam of my grandson. It may please be seen.
Aravinda Rao

sandhyavandanam final.pdf

kenp

Nov 30, 2022, 12:36:58тАпPM11/30/22
to рднрд╛рд░рддреАрдпрд╡рд┐рджреНрд╡рддреНрдкрд░рд┐рд╖рддреН

Raghav

Dec 1, 2022, 10:59:22тАпPM12/1/22
to рднрд╛рд░рддреАрдпрд╡рд┐рджреНрд╡рддреНрдкрд░рд┐рд╖рддреН
Thank you all, for all the references you have provided! A few more questions arise in my mind as I review all of these.

1. Skandopanishad appears to be part of the same Krishna yajurveda but is not one of the principal Upanishads. Wondering if it was ever commented upon or mentioned by Shankara Bhagavatpada in any of his bhashyas? Also, could someone here also clarify why Vyasa chose only certain Upanishads as the crux of what needs to be part of Brahmasutras? What is the origin of the concept of "Principal/dasa Upanishads"? Why were a few selected as principal and were chosen to be commented upon by the principal acharyas of the three principal traditions - dvaita, advaita, and vishistadvaita?
3. Shri Vidyasagar ji - thank you for the mention. Could you please provide a title of the text you have so that I could try and grab a copy of it? Interestingly, several other commentaries on sandhya vandana does not seem to contain it. Two books on sandhya vandanam in Telugu were published prior to 1920 (one that I have reprinted in 2012). One is called "purANokta sandhyA vandanam" and the other one is called тАЬKrishna Pandita virachita nirNaya kalpa vallAyAkhya taittiriya sandhya bhashyamтАЭ. (This should clearly be yajur veda!) both likely present the andhra/kannada paddhati smArta sandhyA. Neither of them either the mulam or the telugu anuvada seem to contain this mantra/sloka. The "sandhyA bhAShya samucchaya" published in Devanagari by Anandashrama press also does not seem to contain this.
4. Aravinda ji - thank you for sharing the elaborate document - I have gone through this - one thing that is still not clear to me is why this mantra or sloka needs to be even remembered as part of sandhya vandana ritual. The purpose of the ritual as I understand is to meditate on the surya mandala antarvarti thrice a day. There is a necessity for marjanam, avahanam, gayatri dhyanam, and upasthanam. Why is the question of the difference or similarity between specifically these two i.e., - Shiva and Vishnu even relevant in the sandhya ritual? Even if it is, why just these two - Shiva and Vishnu? Why not all three - Brahma, Vishnu, and Maheshwara (as in namah savitre jagadeka chakshushe.. virinchi-narayana- shankarAtmane that some recite). At least, the latter seems to convey the idea that one principal Brahman is the inner Self of all deities or all the three sandhyas whereas the former is targeted at these two. Is it then, just a custom introduced at a later point?
5. Shri Shankara ji and Shri Subramanian ji - thank you so much for the citations!! Deeply appreciate it. I have gone through the sections but it is unclear how this could be grammatically fit into the passages. The passage "Shivaya vishnu rupaya" has a series of chaturthi vibhaktis. They don't have an object associated with them (something like a "namah") either in verses prior or posterior to this passage like it does in "namo vai brahma nidhaye vAshishtAya namo namah". Could someone clarify if I am missing something here?┬а

Many thanks to all the scholars who responded!

Mathukumalli Vidyasagar

Dec 1, 2022, 11:39:10тАпPM12/1/22
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Dear Shri Raghav,

I am attaching a scan of the front cover.┬а It says "Yajurveda Sandhya Vandanamu".┬а It is published by VaviLLa Ramaswami Sastrulu & Sons in 1970.┬а I didn't want to scan the actual poem as the book is in a very fragile state, but the two shlokas are at the bottom of page 59.┬а I wish you success in locating it if at all possible.┬а The book says that only 2,000 copies were published, which seems to me a pitifully small number.

I might mention that my upanayanam was in 1957 -- sixty five years ago.┬а This book did not exist then.┬а Whatever book I learnt from has now faded completely from my memory.

Best regards.

Sagar

Sandhya-Vandanam.pdf

Subrahmanyam Korada

Dec 2, 2022, 8:20:54тАпAM12/2/22
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
рдирдореЛ рд╡рд┐рджреНрд╡рджреНрднреНрдпрдГ

рд╕рдиреНрдзреНрдпрд╛рд╡рдиреНрджрдирдореН - the details are discussed several times earlier .

рд╕реНрд╡рд╛рдзреНрдпрд╛рдпрдмреНрд░рд╣реНрдордгрдореН┬а ( рддреИрддреНрддрд┐рд░реАрдпрд╛рд░рдгреНрдпрдХрдореН - рджреНрд╡рд┐рддреАрдпрдГ рдкреНрд░рд╢реНрдирдГ ) mostly deals with this рдирд┐рддреНрдпрдХрд░реНрдо ред
There are three main рдкреНрд░рдзрд╛рдирд╛рдЩреНрдЧрд╛рдирд┐┬а in рд╕рдиреНрдзреНрдпрд╛рд╡рдиреНрджрдирдореН -- рдЕрд░реНрдШреНрдпрдкреНрд░рджрд╛рдирдореН - рдЧрд╛рдпрддреНрд░реАрдЬрдкрдГ - рдЙрдкрд╕реНрдерд╛рдирдореН ред
рдорд╛рд░реНрдЬрдирдореН etc are рдЕрдЩреНрдЧрдХрд▓рд╛рдкрдГред
тАЩрдирд┐рддреНрдпреЗ рдпрдерд╛рд╢рдХреНрддреНрдпрдЩреНрдЧрд╛рдиреБрд╖реНрдард╛рдирд╛рдзрд┐рдХрд░рдгрдореНтАЩ┬а (рдкреВрд░реНрд╡рдореАрдорд╛рдВрд╕рд╛ 6-3-1) says - should there be some inconvenience one may perform some portions of рдирд┐рддреНрдпрдХрд░реНрдо -- among them рдЕрд░реНрдШреНрдпрдкреНрд░рджрд╛рдирдореН is the most important --
рд╕реВрддрдХреЗ рдореГрддрдХреЗ рдЪреИрд╡ рд╕рдиреНрдзреНрдпрд╛рдХрд░реНрдо рди рд╕рдВрддреНрдпрдЬреЗрддреН ред
рдордирд╕реЛрдЪреНрдЪрд╛рд░рдпреЗрдиреНрдордиреНрддреНрд░рд╛рдиреН рдкреНрд░рд╛рдгрд╛рдпрд╛рдордореГрддреЗ рджреНрд╡рд┐рдЬрдГ┬а рее┬а рд╕реНрдореГрддрд┐рдГ
рдкреНрд░рд╛рдгрд╛рдпрд╛рдордВ рд╡рд┐рдирд╛ рдорд╛рдирд╕рд┐рдХрдореН рдЕрдиреНрдпрддреН┬а рдХрд╛рд░реНрдпрдореН --рдкрд░рд╛рд╢рд░рдорд╛рдзрд╡реАрдпреЗ┬а
In the above quoted рдЕрдзрд┐рдХрд╛рд░рд╛рдзреНрдпрд╛рдп it is stated -- since the рдирд┐рддреНрдпрдХрд░реНрдоs have to be performed lifelong --┬а

рдЕрд╣рд░рд╣рдГ рд╕рдиреНрдзреНрдпрд╛рдореБрдкрд╛рд╕реАрдд ( рдЧреГрд╣реНрдпрд╕реВрддреНрд░рдореН) - рд╕рдиреНрдзреНрдпрд╛рдВ рдордирд╕рд╛ рдзреНрдпрд╛рдпреЗрддреН ( рдРрддрд░реЗрдпрдмреНрд░рд╛рд╣реНрдордгрдореН 3-8-1) ред┬а
рдпрд╛рд╡рдЬреНрдЬреАрд╡рдореН рдФрдкрд╛рд╕рдирдВ рд╣реЛрд╖реНрдпрд╛рдорд┐ ред┬а рдпрд╛рд╡рдЬреНрдЬреАрд╡рдореН рдЕрдЧреНрдирд┐рд╣реЛрддреНрд░рдВ рдЬреБрд╣реЛрддрд┐ ред (рдпрд╛рд╡рдЬреНрдЬреАрд╡рдореН - рдгрдореБрд▓реН - тАЩ рдпрд╛рд╡рддрд┐ рд╡рд┐рдиреНрджрдЬреАрд╡реЛрдГ тАЩ рдкрд╛ 3-4-30 ) |
So they can be performed as per рд╢рдХреНрддрд┐ / рд╕рд╛рдорд░реНрдереНрдпрдореН ред┬а

рдХрд╛рдореНрдпрдХрд░реНрдоs have to be performed fully - рд╕рд╛рдЩреНрдЧрдкреНрд░рдзрд╛рдирд╛рдиреБрд╖реНрдард╛рдирдореН ред

рджреЗрд╡рдкреНрд░рд╕реНрдерд╛рдкрдирд╛рдиреНрддрдВ рд╕реНрдпрд╛рддреН рд╕рдиреНрдзреНрдпрд╛рдХрд░реНрдореЗрддреНрдпреБрджреАрд░рд┐рддрдореН -- рд╕рдиреНрдзреНрдпрд╛рдХрд░реНрдо ends with рдкреНрд░рд╕реНрдерд╛рдкрдирдореН ( рдорд┐рддреНрд░рд╕реНрдп -- рдЖрд╕рддреНрдпреЗрди -- рдЗрдордВ рдореЗ рд╡рд░реБрдг ) ред┬а

рд╢рд┐рд╡рд╛рдп рд╡рд┐рд╖реНрдгреБрд░реВрдкрд╛рдп etc is not┬а part of рд╕рдиреНрдзреНрдпрд╛рд╡рдиреНрджрдирдореН ред

рдорд╛рдзреНрдпрд╛рд╣реНрдирд┐рдХрд╕рдиреНрдзреНрдпрд╛┬а is prescribed in рд╕реНрдореГрддрд┐s not рд╢реНрд░реБрддрд┐ ред

It is still an undecided issue as to how many verses are there in рд╕реНрдХрдиреНрджрдкреБрд░рд╛рдгрд╛рдореН etc ред It is a waste of time .

рдзрдиреНрдпреЛтАЩрд╕реНрдорд┐

Dr.Korada Subrahmanyam
Adju.Professor , Dept of Heritage Science and Technology, IIT, Hyderabad
299 Doyen , Serilingampally, Hyderabad 500 019
Ph:09866110741
Skype Id: Subrahmanyam Korada

Raghav K

Dec 2, 2022, 10:23:42тАпPM12/2/22
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Shri Subrahmanyam ji,

Thank you for your conclusive answer on this topic. Truly┬аappreciate all the references you have provided. This has answered all┬аmy questions.┬а

Kind regards,
Raghav

Raghav K

Dec 2, 2022, 10:23:42тАпPM12/2/22
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Shri Vidyasagar ji,

Thank you for providing the text.

Kind regards,┬а
Raghav

Mathukumalli Vidyasagar

Dec 3, 2022, 8:01:09тАпAM12/3/22
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com

bk jagadish

Jan 10, 2023, 7:13:45тАпAM1/10/23
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much for sharing such a valuable book.┬а
Humble Pranams
jagadish