Ravi Khangai

Nov 19, 2019, 9:28:14 AM11/19/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
  The mail sent to the ideas bank bounced.

I would love to mentor/suggest the following topics-
1. Eco-Dharma in the Mahabharata
2. Animal ethics in the Mahabharata

Thank you

-Dr. Ravi Khangai, Assistant Professor, P.G.T.D. History, RTM Nagpur University, Nagpur, Maharashtra, India-440033

Adjunct Faculty, Hindu University of America

5200 Vineland Road, Suite 120, Orlando, FL 32811, USA.

Mo- 918446000912, 919665575896

Bhaskar Ray

Nov 21, 2019, 11:06:41 PM11/21/19
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT
Respected scholar
am looking for a book with title of "
 Devīmāhātmya: The Glorification of the Great Goddess" by Vasudeva Sharan Agrawala which published from Varanasi 1963, All India kashiraj trust. I have searched this book everywhere but yet didn't find out it.

K S Kannan

Nov 28, 2019, 4:49:47 AM11/28/19
to bvparishat
Dear scholars,

I am not sure whether I raised this question earlier.

Have any attempts been made to document the guru-s'is"ya-paramparA in Indology in the West,
starting from the days of Sir William Jones (or whoever made some significant beginnings)?
Of course, such a list of scholars in the East is also required,
and no significant scholar should be omitted.
(We may tentatively have a very rough description of a scholar
as one who has contributed articles to journals, or authored books
in the past 250 years).

An advantage with such a list in the former case (especially) is that
it facilitates a perusal of the patterns and proliferation of typical fields and methodologies
(or even prejudices). And the works of many important modern scholars of India
often bear a stamp of the presuppositions or methods of interpretation
of their Western masters/guides.

There surely are some Indian scholars, who, though trained in the West
are not sold to their thinking patterns. (Possibly, a scholar like KASubrahmanya Iyer
counts among them). But there are many who have written almost spitefully or sans regard
for values of our heritage (perhaps even RGBhandarkar himself).
How many, and who all, were trained in the West or under Western scholars?
There surely are those who are only partly influenced,
and it may become important to define "influence" also.

Is it possible to put in one place the scholarly lineages as, say,
(a) purely Western,
(b) purely Indian (at least in the last century or so),
(c) Indians trained under Westerners and toeing their line mostly, and
(d) Indians adhering to Indian value systems by and large, and
(e) all the rest that may not fit into the above groups?
(Of course, there could be special cases - as of Kielhorn who considered himself
an heir to the vyAkaraNa tradition!)

(And there are many Western scholars who studied under Indian guru-s,
but never even acknowledged the same, cloaking it all under their typical
arrogant note of "my native informer tells me..." etc.)

This could perhaps be a theme for an MPhil/PhD work, or even for some Project,
depending on the length and breadth of investigation. If this has not so far been attempted,
it may go to serve some useful purposes.

KSKannan

--
Dr. K.S.Kannan  D.Litt.

Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj Chair Professor, IIT-Madras.

Senior Fellow, ICSSR, New Delhi.

Academic Director, Swadeshi Indology.

Nominated Member, IIAS, Shimla.

Former Professor, CAHC, Jain University, Bangalore.

Former Director, Karnataka Samskrit University, Bangalore.

Former Head, Dept. of Sanskrit, The National Colleges, Bangalore.

K S Kannan

Nov 28, 2019, 5:08:18 AM11/28/19
to bvparishat
Sorry, I missed writing the Subject.

Siddharth Wakankar

Nov 28, 2019, 5:44:57 AM11/28/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dr.Kannan,

A very important topic to work on.

There are books like German Indologists,published,i think,by the Max Muller Bhavan or so,Mumbai,where sketches of German scholars with their contributions and at times their teachers etc.is given.

Secondly,G.A. Ganesan or Natesan from Madras published somewhere in early 1910s a very good book on Prominent Orientalists or so,wherein also we get vital info.

Dr.Amruta Natu,a young scholar from BORI, Pune, worked for her Ph. D. on George Buhler, under the able guidance of Prof. G. U. Thite.

I tried to collect information about the British Orientalists from the British Library,Mumbai,but could not get much response from them.

Hope,this may help you in this direction.

Best of luck in our efforts.

Prof. Siddharth Y Wakankar.
Vadodara 9427339942.

K S Kannan

Nov 28, 2019, 6:16:35 AM11/28/19
to bvparishat
Dear Prof. Wakankar,
Thank you for the immensely useful information supplied.
I have seen both the significant works referred to by you.
Yes, there are many books, mostly small ones, on many individual Indologist.

But what is perhaps needed is the lineages of scholars.
German scholars show certain trends, French ones show certain patterns etc.,
and sometimes there are admixtures. Certain fields are not taken up at all till a certain period,
and certain periods betray certain fashions. Now this effort could be rather comprehensive,
tracing influences, showing developments etc. The study of Vedic Syntax, for example,
since the last century to the most recent ones can show variations in themes and concerns
and tools and methods. So with the study of texts on astronomy/mathematics in Sanskrit,
or even Ayurveda, and Panini.

(Was there a work called 75 years of Indological Research, or some such title?)

Nothing matches a comprehensive work on this theme, and it is not easy to do.
Lineages documented can themselves trigger new ideas/lines of search.

Irene Galstian

Nov 28, 2019, 7:27:03 AM11/28/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
I would be very interested even in a list of prominent Indian Sanskritists of the late 19th- 20th centuries.
In communist times, for example, there were phenomenal minds who weren’t promoted formally because they stayed away from the party propaganda. The same could have been the case in India: an excellent scholar could have been well known to immediate students but not widely known because of the social climate.

Irene

K S Kannan

Nov 28, 2019, 8:02:47 AM11/28/19
to bvparishat
Dear Irene,

What you say looks quite probable.

Traditional scholars often remained indifferent to the alien rulers, or remained wary of them,
and the alien despots had unconcealed contempt for these scholars.

Inquisitions in Goa, beheadings in Varanasi, "the perfect genocide" in Kashmir - to sample but a few,
where all, pandits and scholars bore the brunt, and were devastated, butchered and crushed to death
- have their own sordid stories to tell. We do not know how many Nehemiah Gorehs were brought into being,
and how many libraries were burnt down. Inimical social climate repudiates, jeopardises and decimates
all contrary proclivities, talents, and endeavours.

Yet some attempt must be made to chronicle what little is left to study.

"Full many a gem of purest ray serene,
         The dark unfathom'd caves of ocean bear:
Full many a flow'r is born to blush unseen,
         And waste its sweetness on the desert air.

Some village-Hampden, that with dauntless breast
         The little tyrant of his fields withstood;
Some mute inglorious Milton here may rest,
         Some Cromwell guiltless of his country's blood... "

shankara

Nov 28, 2019, 8:15:30 AM11/28/19
to bvparishat
Sir,

'The Inventory of Sanskrit Scholars' - संस्कृत विद्वत् परिचायिका - published by Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan fulfils your requirement to some extent. It contains bio-data of 5000 Sanskrit scholars who were born between 1850 to 1990 A.D.

The inventory contains the name of scholars, qualification, date of birth, place of birth, positions, teachers and disciples (GuruShishya-Parampara), numbers and titles of published books and research papers, addresses, awards and honors, foreign visits etc. and gives also a resume of their significant contributions to Sanskrit.

Let us hope, the detailed bio-data of these scholars are still preserved at Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan.

regards
shankara

K S Kannan

Nov 28, 2019, 8:44:12 AM11/28/19
to bvparishat
Undoubtedly this is a laudable attempt, and many thanks, sir, for drawing attention to this.
When even our Upanis"ad-s paid importance to the sequence "atha vaMs'aH" (BU),
the order must figure as important, ratherthan, or much more than, an alphabetical order.

Sequences can have consequences.

Siddharth Wakankar

Nov 28, 2019, 10:13:04 AM11/28/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Dr. Irene,

I heard of one great scholar from Bengal,whose works kept in a cupboard were not touched or allowed to be touched by the librarian.His name is Dr. Bata Krishna Ghosh,the author of many books, esp. Linguistic Introduction to Sanskrit.

This account was narrated to me by Prof.D.D. Mahulkar,one of the great mathematical  linguistics of this era.

Prof. Siddharth Y Wakankar.
Vadodara.9427339942.

Siddharth Wakankar

Nov 28, 2019, 10:16:40 AM11/28/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
I forgot one very important fact for this shabby treatment to him. He was suffering from leprosy and was shunned by his contemporaries also,except, his close students.

Prof. Siddharth Y Wakankar.
Vadodara.9427339942.

Madhav Deshpande

Nov 28, 2019, 10:28:52 AM11/28/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Dear Dr. Kannan,

    Such information needs to be extracted from numerous felicitation and commemoration volumes and obituaries of scholars.  Such information is there, but not all in one place.  It will be a great project to collect such information.  One such informative volume is the proceedings of the Whitney Memorial Meeting after Professor W,D. Whitney passed away.  That gives information about the early Sanskrit academic tradition in the USA.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]

Irene Galstian

Nov 28, 2019, 10:39:29 AM11/28/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Dear Professor Deshpande,

Thank you, that's very helpful. For example, where should I start if I want to trace Indian Vedic scholars? Samhitas and brahmanas mostly.
I'm after Indian scholars who either had traditional Indian teachers or non-Indian teachers whose treatment of the tradition was sensitive. I'm not under the illusion that somehow normal distribution has been switched off when it comes to traditionally trained scholars. Still, I'm keen to locate both the mainstream opinions and the outliers of both traditions.

Best wishes,
Irene

On Thursday, November 28, 2019 at 3:28:52 PM UTC, Madhav Deshpande wrote:
Dear Dr. Kannan,

    Such information needs to be extracted from numerous felicitation and commemoration volumes and obituaries of scholars.  Such information is there, but not all in one place.  It will be a great project to collect such information.  One such informative volume is the proceedings of the Whitney Memorial Meeting after Professor W,D. Whitney passed away.  That gives information about the early Sanskrit academic tradition in the USA.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]

K S Kannan

Nov 28, 2019, 11:36:26 AM11/28/19
to bvparishat
Yes, Prof. Deshpande, it will indeed be a great project.
Yes, it needs to be culled from the numerous FVs (Felicitation Volumes).
All the same, how many have died without anything like FVs!
Especially in our country.

To be able to capture the accomplishments of even one lineage
would also be an accomplishment in itself. To draw then, first,
the bare skeletons of the various lineages would also lay bare many things.
Things will all be bound up with socio-political issues too.

How the West was first enamoured with Sanskrit, glorified it enormously,
got disillusioned with it, or more truly developed prejudice against it,
struck at its roots at its homeland, came then to hold sway over it,
and embark upon giving shape to it as it did to no other language/heritage/civilisation,
accompanied by the whys of all these - should indeed be quite engrossing if not also appalling.
My generalisations may be rather broad, but I am only broadly speaking, after all.
The way different nationalities clashed even among Indologists
can fill some flesh and blood to the story of the evolution of Indology.

Sanskritists here in India did not remain untouched either by these developments,
and some were evidently swept off their feet, and some endeavoured to introspect.
Colossal scholars like Ananda Coomaraswamy strode across centuries and civilisations,
yet too soon they came to be ignored, though their ideas were by no means negated and nullified.
Replicas of Coomaraswamy's thoughts and expressions still figure in, or rather course through,
in one form or the other, many of the writings of Wendy Doniger or Frederick Smith or Brian Smith or Sadashiv Dange,
- though mostly not openly or commensurately acknowledged. A backlash seems to be gaining strength too
as many Indians, after being economically successful, are turning to discover their roots,
especially against the background of ABCDs (America-based confused Desis) getting directionless.
An alternate picture is provided by growing intricacies of Proto-Indo-European studies on the one hand,
and an utter disapproval of the Aryan Invasion Theory on the other.

Decoding of astounding bits of astronomical phenomena recorded in the Vedic, similarly,
and the usurpation, and ingestion of many Yogic ideas into scientific theories and paradigms,
foisting novel nomenclature to conceal such annexations for covering up plagiarisms galore
as well as commercial booty, all again without due and proper acknowledgement;
prejudices prevailing/growing even among geneticists in their accounts of either the
Aryan-Dravidian Theory or the genesis of the Varna-Jati system
betray the role of developments in science having a bearing on Indological trends and concerns.

A study of the forces of history and politics behind these can perhaps afford interesting insights,
and a simhAvalokana would indeed be worth the effort, and may be expected to yield rich results.

Madhav Deshpande

Nov 28, 2019, 12:12:19 PM11/28/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Dear Irene,

     A beginning in that direction can be made by looking at existing accounts like the book काशी की पाण्डित्य परंपरा or Khiste's book विद्वच्चरितपञ्चकम्, and known histories of institutions like the Benares Sanskrit College [later Varanaseya Samskrita Vishvavidyalaya], Calcutta Sanskrit College, Poona Sanskrit College [later Deccan College] etc.  The history of the Vedaśāstrottejaka Sabhā published in Marathi is very informative.  N. C. Kelkar published an account in Marathi of lineages of Marathi Vaidika Pandits.  The detailed account of the Guruparamparā of Mahamahopadhyaya Vasudeva Shastri Abhyankar going back to the great Nāgeśabhaṭṭa can be found in the Prastāvanā volume of his Marathi translation of the Mahābhāṣya.  Similar institutional and individual histories can be traced in places like Mysore, Kumbhakonam, Tanjore, Madras etc.  The recent book "The Sons of Sarasvati" by Professor C. Ravishankar, giving detailed biographical accounts of three Sanskrit pundits from 19th century Mysore is a great addition of such needed histories.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/16a6d67e-be68-491e-b75d-87f969dfaff1%40googlegroups.com.

Irene Galstian

Nov 28, 2019, 4:57:50 PM11/28/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Dear Professor Deshpande,

Thank you for the priceless references and clues.
When you say 'known histories of institutions', could you please give some examples of titles? Apologies for the basic questions: this is a new area, so I need to assemble a small set of keywords to be able to search on my own and to gradually expand the search criteria.
Do you by any chance recall any part of the title of Kelkar's book?
Marathi sources are more accessible to me language-wise, so it makes sense to focus on these. Having compiled a list of scholars, the next step would be to locate and read their works.

Best wishes,
Irene

sadashiv dwivedi

Nov 28, 2019, 5:44:38 PM11/28/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Please contact - Prithvi Prakashan, Lanka, Varanasi- having the collection of almost all the publications of Dr VSAgrawal.

Madhav Deshpande

Nov 28, 2019, 5:55:15 PM11/28/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Dear Irene,

     I will come up with a list of references of the materials I mentioned.  Many of them, I have in my personal library, but I have to get hold of them.  I have books practically in every room of the house and the walls of the garage.  Best,

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/ccc14510-ad60-4868-887a-4b4b2690fd3d%40googlegroups.com.

Irene Galstian

Nov 28, 2019, 5:59:48 PM11/28/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Thank you, Professor Deshpande, it's very kind of you. In the meantime, I'll work on finding the titles you've already listed.
Best wishes,
Irene

Sathyawageeswar Subramanian

Nov 28, 2019, 6:21:51 PM11/28/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
नमः सदसे

What would also be invaluable might be to emulate the features of the Maths Genealogy project - https://genealogy.math.ndsu.nodak.edu/

This could easily constitute masters' and PhD level projects that combine (some amount of) Computer science / programming with language and humanities.

Much such indexing material that is languishing in books untouched for years on the dusty shelves of forgotten libraries can become unimaginably revelatory if put into an easily visualisable digital database.

स्वस्ति

Irene Galstian

Nov 28, 2019, 6:43:18 PM11/28/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Even with a database there is no way of knowing in whose presence this
given person stepped into that moment when one understands and becomes
one with the object of knowledge. Subsequent work is often an attempt
to set into words and proofs that instant.
Example: go to Maths genealogy and look up Saul Lubkin. The database
shows John Tate as the thesis supervisor. Tate, as you can see in the
database, supervised many students, some of whom are prominent
mathematicians of today (e.g. Ribet, Dwork, Gross, Lubkin), but most
of whom are normal well-educated mathematicians. But no database could
express the depth and the intensity of the influence Andre Weil had on
Lubkin. Nor would a database show that Lubkin's is an extraordinary
mind, whoever might have been his thesis advisor. Neither Weil nor
Tate made this mind into what it is. Whereas there are many -
certainly competent - mathematicians who were shaped by the thought of
their PhD supervisors.
This is why it seems to me that locating and reading the works is the
key activity. A study of lineages is just the means to that end.

Irene

On 11/28/19, Sathyawageeswar Subramanian <sathy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> नमः सदसे
>
> What would also be invaluable might be to emulate the features of the Maths
>
> Genealogy project - https://genealogy.math.ndsu.nodak.edu/
>
> where a typical page looks like -
> https://genealogy.math.ndsu.nodak.edu/id.php?id=49593
>
> This could easily constitute masters' and PhD level projects that combine
> (some amount of) Computer science / programming with language and
> humanities.
>
> Much such indexing material that is languishing in books untouched for
> years on the dusty shelves of forgotten libraries can become unimaginably
> revelatory if put into an easily visualisable digital database.
>
> स्वस्ति
>
> On Thursday, November 28, 2019 at 9:49:47 AM UTC, ks.kannan.2000 wrote:
>>
>> Dear scholars,
>>
>> I am not sure whether I raised this question earlier.
>>
>> Have any attempts been made to document the *guru-s'is"ya-paramparA* in
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/7f60ff6f-d49e-4188-a909-ae7883778824%40googlegroups.com.

Madhav Deshpande

Nov 28, 2019, 11:09:15 PM11/28/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Dear Irene,

Here is the list of reference materials I mentioned in my previous email with their publication details.  Most of these are in Marathi, with several that I consulted at the library of the Bhandarkar Institute in Pune many years ago.

1. वैदिक विद्वानांचा परिचय, भाग १, भाग २, संपादक - सीताराम विष्णु केळकर, पुणे वेदपाठशाळा प्रकाशन (BORI Library, Pune)

2. Kulkarni, A. R. 2000.  “The Shastri Tradition of Pune in the Nineteenth Century,” Chapter 7, pp. 181-202, in his book Maharashtra: Society and Culture, Books and Books, New Delhi.

3. Kashikar C. G., 1976. वेदशास्त्रोत्तेजक सभा, पुणे, शतसांवत्सरिक इतिहास (शके १७९७-१८९७: इ.स. १८७५-१९७५.  (BORI Library, Pune)

4. Scattered info in: एकोणिसाव्या शतकातील महाराष्ट्र, संपादक: गंगाधर देवराव खानोलकर, साहित्य सहकार संघ लिमिटेड प्रकाशन २१, १९७५, (शासकीय विभागीय ग्रंथालय, पुणे)

5. The Whitney Memorial Meeting, edited by Charles R. Lanman, Boston, American Congress of Philologists, published by Ginn and Company, Boston 1897.

6. आहिताग्नि राजवाडे, आत्मवृत्त, श्रीविद्या प्रकाशन, पुणे, १९८० [Lot of useful information scattered in the autobiography].

7. सखाराम विनायक सहस्रबुद्धे आणि महादेव दामोदर साठे - महामहोपाध्याय वासुदेवशास्त्री अभ्यंकर, चरित्र व कार्य,  पुणे १९६३

8. केळकर, नरसिंह चिंतामण, लेख-संग्रह, प्रकाशक - शंकर नरहर जोशी, चित्रशाळा प्रेस, पुणे, १९१५. [contains the article: “संस्कृत विद्येचे पुरुज्जीवन” (pp. 1-52),]

9. जयराम पिंड्ये - राधामाधवविलासचम्पू:, संपादक - वि. का. राजवाडे, शके १८४४, पुणे, चित्रशाळा प्रेस.  [The Sanskrit text contains a graphic description of Sanskrit poet-scholars at the court of Shahaji in Bangalore, and Rajwade’s extensive Marathi introduction sets up the historical context.]

10.  प्रस्तावना खंड, भाग ७, लेखक - महामहोपाध्याय काशीनाथ वासुदेव अभ्यंकर, [Introduction Volume to the six volumes of Marathi translation of Patañjali’s Mahābhāya], published by the Deccan Education Society, Pune 1954. [pp. 16-69 contain detailed info on the tradition of grammarians from Bhaṭṭoji Dīkita up to Vasudeva Shastri Abhyankar].

I am sure there are more relevant materials in Marathi to be found at the libraries in Pune and Mumbai, but here is what I have consulted in the past.  I have published articles about the development of education in Pune, Sanskrit during the reign of the Peshwas, and the transition from Pundit to Professor during the British colonial period. With best wishes,

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/08abacf0-0e60-4433-b570-cd4132cd18a3%40googlegroups.com.

Narayan Prasad

Nov 28, 2019, 11:26:01 PM11/28/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
<<Secondly,G.A. Ganesan or Natesan from Madras published somewhere in early 1910s a very good book on Prominent Orientalists or so,wherein also we get vital info.>>

Eminent Orientalists, G.A. Natesan & Co., Madras, 1922 (Reprint Asian Educational Services, New Delhi, 1991)

<<German Indologists,published,i think,by the Max Muller Bhavan or so,Mumbai,where sketches of German scholars with their contributions and at times their teachers etc.is given.>>

Second Revised Edition appeared in 1990. The following scanned pages are attached for general information: Title page, Contents pages and Introductory Note to the 2nd edition.

Regards
Narayan Prasad

On Thu 28 Nov, 2019, 3:38 PM K S Kannan, <ks.kan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry, I missed writing the Subject.

Dr. K.S.Kannan  D.Litt.

​Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj Chair Professor, IIT-Madras.

Senior Fellow, ICSSR, New Delhi.

Academic Director, Swadeshi Indology.

Nominated Member, IIAS, Shimla.

Former Professor, CAHC, Jain University, Bangalore.

Former Director, Karnataka Samskrit University, Bangalore.

Former Head, Dept. of Sanskrit, The National Colleges, Bangalore.

German Indologists-1990.pdf

Ashok Aklujkar

Nov 28, 2019, 11:50:53 PM11/28/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्

> On 28-Nov-2019, at 2:44 AM, Siddharth Wakankar <sywak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "… G.A. Ganesan or Natesan from Madras published somewhere in early 1910s a very good book on Prominent Orientalists or so,wherein also we get vital info."

Was the compiler of Prominent Orientalists not Mr. Sardesai of Oriental Book Agency in Poona/Punr?

Wilhelm Rau published photographs of Hundert Indologen.

a.a. (in rush)

Nagaraj Paturi

Nov 28, 2019, 11:52:00 PM11/28/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Respected Prof. Kannan,

This is a very good project worthy of being added to the 100 ideas bank announced at

We will soon take this up if you are prepared to supervise the researcher or you yourself would take it up.

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Director,  Inter-Gurukula-University Centre , Indic Academy
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,
(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )

Madhav Deshpande

Nov 28, 2019, 11:55:54 PM11/28/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/95697c8a-771b-4f55-b47f-a205aabc61c8%40googlegroups.com.

Ashok Aklujkar

Nov 29, 2019, 12:16:22 AM11/29/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
On 28-Nov-2019, at 1:50 AM, K S Kannan <ks.kann...@gmail.com> wrote:
"Have any attempts been made to document the guru-s'is"ya-paramparA in Indology in the West,
starting from the days of Sir William Jones (or whoever made some significant beginnings)?

Not answering exactly to the wording of the question:

Halbfass, Wilhelm. India and Europe. State University of New York Press (as I recall).
Windish, E. Geschichte der sanskrit-philologie und indischen
altertumskunde. Strassburg. Trübner, K.J., 1917-1920

R.N. Dandekar and V. Raghavan wrote survey articles after they attended sessions of the International Association of Orientalists, mainly to identify trends for the benefit of Indian scholars. Details can be found in the Festschrifts published in their honour.

Ashok Aklujkar

Nov 29, 2019, 12:22:01 AM11/29/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Please read “Congress” in the place of “Association” in my post below

Irene Galstian

Nov 29, 2019, 3:13:25 AM11/29/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
This is amazing. I can't thank you enough for these references. This morning I got up at 3, ran to the computer before anything else to see if there's any news on this topic, and all was quiet.
Now there's an entire feast! Thank you!!!!

Irene

On 28-Nov-2019, at 1:50 AM, K S Kannan <ks.kan...@gmail.com> wrote:
"Have any attempts been made to document the guru-s'is"ya-paramparA in Indology in the West,
starting from the days of Sir William Jones (or whoever made some significant beginnings)?

Not answering exactly to the wording of the question:

Halbfass, Wilhelm. India and Europe. State University of New York Press (as I recall).
Windish, E. Geschichte der sanskrit-philologie und indischen
altertumskunde. Strassburg. Trübner, K.J., 1917-1920

R.N. Dandekar and V. Raghavan wrote survey articles after they attended sessions of the International Association of Orientalists, mainly to identify trends for the benefit of Indian scholars. Details can be found in the Festschrifts published in their honour.

sridhar reddy

Nov 29, 2019, 9:06:47 AM11/29/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Are there any ASWADHATI stotras in Telugu/Sanskrit?

shankara

Nov 29, 2019, 9:53:56 AM11/29/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Namaste,

This is not directly related to this thread, but not totally unrelated. I came across a website dedicated to Aahitaagni Rajwade and his works. The site is in initial stages and webmaster has plans to add more resources on the scholar.

At present Marathi commentaries by Aahitaagni Rajwade on Bhagavad Gita, Isavasyopanishad and Naasadiya Sukta are made available on the website.

regards
shankara

K S Kannan

Nov 29, 2019, 9:58:46 AM11/29/19
to bvparishat
There are two verses at least in Vis'va-guNAdas'a-campU
in that metre - one on Ramanuja and another on Vedanta Desika.
Another one, attributed to Sankara called ambAs"Taka
is in that very metre.

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 7:36 PM sridhar reddy <chris...@gmail.com> wrote:
Are there any ASWADHATI stotras in Telugu/Sanskrit?

Irene Galstian

Nov 29, 2019, 10:01:18 AM11/29/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Thank you for the website, Shankara ji.

In the meantime, I tried to make progress with the lists above. Filled in interlibrary loan requests for some, found others at the library, but 5 items elude me so far:

1. वैदिक विद्वानांचा परिचय, भाग १, भाग २, संपादक - सीताराम विष्णु केळकर, पुणे वेदपाठशाळा प्रकाशन (BORI Library, Pune)

3. Kashikar C. G., 1976. वेदशास्त्रोत्तेजक सभा, पुणे, शतसांवत्सरिक इतिहास (शके १७९७-१८९७: इ.स. १८७५-१९७५.  (BORI Library, Pune)

4. एकोणिसाव्या शतकातील महाराष्ट्र, संपादक: गंगाधर देवराव खानोलकर, साहित्य सहकार संघ लिमिटेड प्रकाशन २१, १९७५, (शासकीय विभागीय ग्रंथालय, पुणे)

7. सखाराम विनायक सहस्रबुद्धे आणि महादेव दामोदर साठे - महामहोपाध्याय वासुदेवशास्त्री अभ्यंकर, चरित्र व कार्य,  पुणे १९६३

8. केळकर, नरसिंह चिंतामण, लेख-संग्रह, प्रकाशक - शंकर नरहर जोशी, चित्रशाळा प्रेस, पुणे, १९१५. [contains the article: “संस्कृत विद्येचे पुरुज्जीवन” (pp. 1-52),]

If anybody has them as a soft copy, or knows of a place to buy them, please reply. It's also possible that just the paper in question might be available elsewhere (I mean item 8).

Thank you,
Irene

K S Kannan

Nov 29, 2019, 10:05:03 AM11/29/19
to bvparishat
I guess there is one by Baldeva Upadhyaya also
- if somebody has not already mentioned that -
on scholarship in Kashi or so (in Hindi)

Irene Galstian

K S Kannan

Nov 29, 2019, 10:14:45 AM11/29/19
to bvparishat
Exactly

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/5f98d465-15b2-4406-988c-e732b6238dc8%40googlegroups.com.

Irene Galstian

Nov 29, 2019, 10:19:40 AM11/29/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Thank you.
Exactly

Hnbhat B.R.

Nov 29, 2019, 10:19:44 AM11/29/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
देवीद्वादशश्लोकी

కాళిదాస కృతమ్)

చెటీ భవన్నిఖిల ఖెటీ కదంబవన వాటీషు నాకి పటలీ
కొటీర చారుతర కొటీ మణీకిరణ కొటీ కరంబిత పదా |
పాటీరగంధి కుచశాటీ కవిత్వ పరిపాటీమగాధిప సుతా
ఘొటీఖురాదధిక ధాటీముదార ముఖ వీటీరసెన తనుతామ్ || 1 || శా౤ ||

ద్వైపాయన ప్రభృతి శాపాయుధ త్రిదివ సొపాన ధూళి చరణా
పాపాపహ స్వమను జాపానులీన జన తాపాపనొద నిపుణా |
నీపాలయా సురభి ధూపాలకా దురితకూపాదుదన్చయతుమామ్
రూపాధికా శిఖరి భూపాల వంశమణి దీపాయితా భగవతీ || 2 || శా౤ ||

యాళీభి రాత్మతనుతాలీనకృత్ప్రియక పాళీషు ఖెలతి భవా
వ్యాళీ నకుల్యసిత చూళీ భరా చరణ ధూళీ లసన్మణిగణా |
యాళీ భృతి శ్రవసి తాళీ దళం వహతి యాళీక శొభి తిలకా
సాళీ కరొతు మమ కాళీ మనః స్వపద నాళీక సెవన విధౌ || 3 || శా౤ ||

బాలామృతాంశు నిభ ఫాలామనా గరుణ చెలా నితంబ ఫలకె
కొలాహల క్షపిత కాలామరాకుశల కీలాల శొషణ రవిః |
స్థూలాకుచె జలద నీలాకచె కలిత వీలా కదంబ విపినె
శూలాయుధ ప్రణతి శీలా దధాతు హృది శైలాధి రాజ తనయా || 4 || శా౤ ||

కంబావతీవ సవిడంబా గళెన నవ తుంబాభ వీణ సవిధా
బింబాధరా వినత శంబాయుధాది నికురుంబా కదంబ విపినె |
అంబా కురంగ మదజంబాల రొచి రిహ లంబాలకా దిశతు మె
శం బాహులెయ శశి బింబాభి రామ ముఖ సంబాధితా స్తన భరా || 5 || శా౤ ||

దాసాయమాన సుమహాసా కదంబవన వాసా కుసుంభ సుమనొ
వాసా విపంచి కృత రాసా విధూత మధు మాసారవింద మధురా |
కాసార సూన తతి భాసాభిరామ తను రాసార శీత కరుణా
నాసా మణి ప్రవర భాసా శివా తిమిర మాసాయె దుపరతిమ్ || 6 || శా౤ ||

న్యంకాకరె వపుషి కంకాళ రక్త పుషి కంకాది పక్షి విషయె
త్వం కామనా మయసి కిం కారణం హృదయ పంకారి మె హి గిరిజామ్ |
శంకాశిలా నిశిత టంకాయమాన పద సంకాశమాన సుమనొ
ఝంకారి భృంగతతి మంకానుపెత శశి సంకాశ వక్త్ర కమలామ్ || 7 || శా౤ ||

జంభారి కుంభి పృథు కుంభాపహాసి కుచ సంభావ్య హార లతికా
రంభా కరీంద్ర కర దంభాపహొరుగతి డింభానురంజిత పదా |
శంభా ఉదార పరిరంభాంకురత్ పులక దంభానురాగ పిశునా
శం భాసురాభరణ గుంభా సదా దిశతు శుంభాసుర ప్రహరణా || 8 || శా౤ ||

దాక్షాయణీ దనుజ శిక్షా విధౌ వికృత దీక్షా మనొహర గుణా
భిక్షాశినొ నటన వీక్షా వినొద ముఖి దక్షాధ్వర ప్రహరణా |
వీక్షాం విధెహి మయి దక్షా స్వకీయ జన పక్షా విపక్ష విముఖీ
యక్షెశ సెవిత నిరాక్షెప శక్తి జయ లక్షావధాన కలనా || 9 || శా౤ ||

వందారు లొక వర సంధాయినీ విమల కుందావదాత రదనా
బృందారు బృంద మణి బృందారవింద మకరందాభిషిక్త చరణా |
మందానిలా కలిత మందార దామభిరమందాభిరామ మకుటా
మందాకినీ జవన భిందాన వాచమరవిందాననా దిశతు మె || 10 || శా౤ ||

యత్రాశయొ లగతి తత్రాగజా భవతు కుత్రాపి నిస్తుల శుకా
సుత్రామ కాల ముఖ సత్రాసకప్రకర సుత్రాణ కారి చరణా |
ఛత్రానిలాతిరయ పత్త్రాభిభిరామ గుణ మిత్రామరీ సమ వధూః
కు త్రాసహీన మణి చిత్రాకృతి స్ఫురిత పుత్రాది దాన నిపుణా || 11 || శా౤ ||

కూలాతిగామి భయ తూలావళిజ్వలనకీలా నిజస్తుతి విధా
కొలాహలక్షపిత కాలామరీ కుశల కీలాల పొషణ రతా |
స్థూలాకుచె జలద నీలాకచె కలిత లీలా కదంబ విపినె
శూలాయుధ ప్రణతి శీలా విభాతు హృది శైలాధిరాజ తనయా || 12 || శా౤ ||

ఇంధాన కీర మణిబంధా భవె హృదయబంధా వతీవ రసికా
సంధావతీ భువన సంధారణె ప్యమృత సింధావుదార నిలయా |
గంధానుభావ ముహురంధాలి పీత కచ బంధా సమర్పయతు మె
శం ధామ భానుమపి రుంధాన మాశు పద సంధాన మప్యనుగతా || 13 || శా౤ ||

Audio video are available online. It is attributed to Kalidasa.

K S Kannan

Nov 29, 2019, 10:30:44 AM11/29/19
to bvparishat
The same stands attributed to Sankaracarya in
HRBhagavat 1952
Minor Works of Sri Sankaracharya
Poona: Oriental Book Agency

K S Kannan

Nov 29, 2019, 10:37:17 AM11/29/19
to bvparishat
Sri Sathyawageeswar Subramanian spoke of the skeletal sketch
which should come first, as a minimal ground,
upon which the flesh and blood envisaged by Dr Irene must come up next.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/CAFPaCQNU%3DOSz0fXjbTAVtSH52Lc5Kg7GS7%3DBibwpNTo-cneCbg%40mail.gmail.com.

shankara

Nov 29, 2019, 11:01:45 AM11/29/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Irene ji,

7. सखाराम विनायक सहस्रबुद्धे आणि महादेव दामोदर साठे - महामहोपाध्याय वासुदेवशास्त्री अभ्यंकर, चरित्र व कार्य,  पुणे १९६३

8. संस्कृत विद्येचे पुनरुज्जीवन - pdf is attached.

I will look for the remaining titles and let you know if I find them.

regards
shankara

Samskrita Vidyeche Punarujjivan (Resurrection of Sanskrit Learning) - NC Kelkar 1928.pdf

Irene Galstian

Nov 29, 2019, 11:13:39 AM11/29/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Shankara ji,

Wow, you've got 2 out of 5 tackled! Thank you, I appreciate this very much.
1. and 3. are likely to have quite a bit of information consecutively, whereas 4., as per Prof. Deshpande's annotation, contains scattered information and would need gradual and careful looking through.

Irene
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bvpar...@googlegroups.com.

Varalakshmi K

Nov 29, 2019, 11:49:56 AM11/29/19
to bvparishat
Sri Galagali Ramacharyulu founder of 'Madhuravani' Sanskrit magazine, composed three compositions in aswadhativrittam. His works are compiled and published in the form of a book called Madhuranjali, in which these three compositions are available.
1. श्रीमदश्वधाटीकाव्यम्
2. अश्वधाटीश्रीवेङ्कटेशाष्टकम्
3. अश्वधाटीश्रीगुरुसार्वभौमस्तवाष्टकम्
I did my M.Phil research on his works.

Mohana Rao

Nov 29, 2019, 1:32:03 PM11/29/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com

J K  Mohana  Rao

SrI paLLe pUrNapraGYAchArya wrote a few ashTakams in aSvadhATi.

Also the famous daSAvatArastOtra of vAdirAjayati (who was a hayagrIva bhakta and who probably gave the name aSvadhATi which was known as mattEbha in mandAramaranda) is in this metre, which was sung by vidyAbhUShaNa, available on youtube.

Of course, even though aMbAshTakam is attributed to kAlidAsa, I think the kavikulatilaka never wrote it. May be an unknown poet or another poet with the name kAlidAsa. SyAmalAdaNDaka was also not by kAlidAsa.

Yogananda CS

Nov 29, 2019, 11:12:34 PM11/29/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Namaste,

You can enjoy a beautiful rendering of ambAs"Taka mentioned by Prof Kannan, at