A very impressive profile of a scholar of yester years

V Subrahmanian

Jul 29, 2019, 3:34:14 AM7/29/19
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT

Trichur Rukmani

Jul 29, 2019, 7:26:52 AM7/29/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Kameshvari for this narration of the amazing and impressive life of a  rare scholar with proficiency and excellence in so many areas of expertise. Since I do have his Mahabhāṣya works I could relate in a remote sense to his indepth scholarship .
Thanks again
om
rukmani

Narayan Prasad

Jul 31, 2019, 3:32:12 AM7/31/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Thank you sir for this link.
BTW, is the book with the cover page attached available on the net?
Best regards
Narayan Prasad
Comparative grammar of Tamil language-PSS-1947.png

V Subrahmanian

Jul 31, 2019, 3:48:30 AM7/31/19
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT
On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 1:02 PM Narayan Prasad <hin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you sir for this link.
BTW, is the book with the cover page attached available on the net?

I could see only this entry, on Amazon, at an exorbitant price, but with the caveat: Currently Unavailable:

Not sure if it is uploaded on archives.org

regards
subrahmanian.v

Irene Galstian

Jul 31, 2019, 4:30:46 AM7/31/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Dear V. Subrahmanian,

Are you after this specific book?
For instance, Sastri's made other great contributions, e.g. his
helpful Lectures on Mahabhasya in 14 volumes. There is also a book
called 'An enquiry into the relationship of Sanskrit and Tamil', which
is the text of lectures Sastri delivered in 1946.
Please send a private message to discuss.

Irene
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/d99535c8-7e3c-4496-a0f3-d1e28c7b52a1%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/CAKk0Te2L3w7vtbC3ZbJbiBz0AXhhniuJkjJ-6X%2Bqm83XSKWqcQ%40mail.gmail.com.

venkat veeraraghavan

Jul 31, 2019, 5:18:35 AM7/31/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Dear Shri Narayan ji:-

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/bvparishat/mjBIF1im6dU

The above link has some more resources but not the one you have asked for.

WRT the actual book you have asked for, I have just confirmed that it is available at the Kuppuswami Research Institute at Sanskrit College.

Unfortunately it is not available for sale since it is more than 50 years old. If you confirm that you cannot get it anywhere else, I will go there in person and (depending on condition of book) have it scanned for you.

Let me know what works best.

Apparently KRI has the entire works of Sri PS Subramanai Sastri.

Regards,

Venkat

V Subrahmanian

Jul 31, 2019, 5:36:52 AM7/31/19
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT
Thanks Sri Venkat ji for this information. Could KSRI think of republishing the complete Works of Sri P.S.S.Sastrigal?  Maybe if they notify a plan and seek donations for the project there could be response from the scholarly public.  If you know someone there you can make a suggestion.

warm regards
subrahmanian.v

venkat veeraraghavan

Jul 31, 2019, 6:17:20 AM7/31/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Dear Shri Subrahmanian ji,

I cannot answer for the KSRI since I am myself a humble outsider.

I imagine if we were able to put a number on actual demand, we can request a republishing of those works or specific ones.
A solid business case would have to be made.

My 2 cents.

Venkat

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/CAKk0Te3gxMjaU8cRs1V%3DFnXDQE1r-J4D6m%2BoKwVif8vuO%3DPFzA%40mail.gmail.com.
Message has been deleted

Narayan Prasad

Jul 31, 2019, 6:44:13 AM7/31/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Dear Sir,
      Namaste.
      Actually long back I had come across this book with a foot-path bookseller at Pune. This book was in a very bad condition. Still I took it.
      It has got viii+228 pp.
      But in the copy I could get has the initial 164 pp and then pp.173-194. Other pages are missing.
      Dr PSS has quoted a few sUtras from शब्दमणिदर्पणम् (Kannada grammar). But has not mentioned which edition he used.
      The scan of contents page and the last page attached.
      If the portion I have got could be useful to somebody, I could send it. But it is scanned in djvu format.
      Thanks and regards
      Narayan Prasad

Comparative grammar of Tamil language-PSS-1947-p-viii.png
Comparative grammar of Tamil language-PSS-1947-p-194.png

Narayan Prasad

Aug 1, 2019, 2:23:32 AM8/1/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
<<If you confirm that you cannot get it anywhere else, I will go there in person and (depending on condition of book) have it scanned for you.>>

Dear Dr Venkat Veeraraghavan ji,
     Namaste.
     I found this book very interesting. It gives a lot many examples from all the important Dravidian language grammars for comparison.
     Before I saw this incomplete work to my disposal, I had already seen Krishnamacharya's "A Grammar of the Modern Kannada Language" (1882) in which comparison of Kannada with Tamil (the latter in the Tamil script) has been presented. It was rather a surprise for me. A sample page from this book is attached.
     If it is possible to get a scan copy of the whole book, or at least for the missing pages in my copy, without much problem, I would welcome it.
     Thanks and regards
     Narayan Prasad
On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 at 14:48, venkat veeraraghavan <vvenk...@gmail.com> wrote:
--
Hosagannada nudigannadi-pp-120-121.png

Irene Galstian

Aug 1, 2019, 2:28:54 AM8/1/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Our library has this book and 2 or 3 others by Sastri, devoted to the same topic.
I’ll go to the library today and while there see if the books are physically there, the catalog says they are.
Irene
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/CAKmACTkof1QKkCnoNMqBD-04ZvR98%2B%3D0zwXPWqfGVVD11ifm%2Bw%40mail.gmail.com.
<Hosagannada nudigannadi-pp-120-121.png>

Narayan Prasad

Aug 1, 2019, 3:50:23 AM8/1/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste.

<<I’ll go to the library today and while there see if the books are physically there, the catalog says they are.>>

Thank you so much for very prompt response.
In case you are to scan it, then in color please !
I have the facility to see the color scan in bw. When I require a printout, I view it as bw. For example, pp.120-121 sent earlier in color is attached herewith in bw.
Thanks and regards
Narayan Prasad

Hosaganada nudigannadi-pp-120-121-bw.png

venkat veeraraghavan

Aug 1, 2019, 4:09:37 AM8/1/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Dear Shri Narayan ji-

Kindly do not address me as Dr. I am not a Dr. in any field.

So you can read Kannada and Tamil script as well? (I am feeling more and more out of depth..;-))

Do you want the Kannada book (Hosagannada nudigannadi) or the book by PSS where you mentioned you were missing pages?

Can you please confirm for me which pages of that book by Shri PSS you want?
I can mail them to you when I go to KSRI.

Kind Regards,

Venkat

Narayan Prasad

Aug 1, 2019, 4:27:09 AM8/1/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Dear Shri Venkat ji,

<<Kindly do not address me as Dr. I am not a Dr. in any field.>>
OK. Similar is the case with me.

<<So you can read Kannada and Tamil script as well?>>

I can read in almost all the Indian scripts.

<<Do you want the Kannada book (Hosagannada nudigannadi) or the book by PSS where you mentioned you were missing pages>>

I have got a hard copy of the Kannada book in good condition.
As already indicated in my earlier message regarding the book by PSS: "But in the copy I could get has the initial 164 pp and then pp.173-194. Other pages are missing. ".

Thanks and regards
Narayan Prasad