A very well compiled online Sanskrit dictionary

V Subrahmanian

Aug 13, 2019, 1:24:27 PM8/13/19
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT
This link was shared in a Whatsapp group:

Online Sanskrit Dictionary for everyone
https://kosha.sanskrit.today

🔹Useful for all levels from beginner to advanced.
🔹Currently linked to 25+ dictionaries. It will show results from across all major dictionaries like Apte, Monier Williams, Kalpadruma, Vachaspatyam, etc..
🔹You can read Sanskrit script in your favourite languages like Telugu, Kannada, Tamil, Oriya, etc... This is very useful if you do not know Devanagari.

Please feel free to share with others too. Thanks.

warm regards
subrahmanian.v

Megh Kalyanasundaram

Aug 13, 2019, 1:36:47 PM8/13/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Thank you very much for sharing this!

Sincerely,
Megh

Madhav Deshpande

Aug 13, 2019, 1:56:12 PM8/13/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Dear Shri Subramanian,

     I opened the link and typed a simple word कमलम् and hit "return."  Then all I see is a rotating circle, and it is not moving ahead to give me any meaning.  I am using a MacBook Pro.  Has anyone tried this on a Mac?  Perhaps it works only on a Windows machine.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]

V Subrahmanian

Aug 13, 2019, 2:09:14 PM8/13/19
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT
On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 11:26 PM Madhav Deshpande <mmd...@umich.edu> wrote:
Dear Shri Subramanian,

     I opened the link and typed a simple word कमलम् and hit "return."  Then all I see is a rotating circle, and it is not moving ahead to give me any meaning.  I am using a MacBook Pro.  Has anyone tried this on a Mac?  Perhaps it works only on a Windows machine.

I tried a few words on my Windows computer and it gave an array of results. Quite user friendly.

warm regards
subrahmanian.v

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 10:24 AM V Subrahmanian <v.subra...@gmail.com> wrote:
This link was shared in a Whatsapp group:

Online Sanskrit Dictionary for everyone
https://kosha.sanskrit.today

🔹Useful for all levels from beginner to advanced.
🔹Currently linked to 25+ dictionaries. It will show results from across all major dictionaries like Apte, Monier Williams, Kalpadruma, Vachaspatyam, etc..
🔹You can read Sanskrit script in your favourite languages like Telugu, Kannada, Tamil, Oriya, etc... This is very useful if you do not know Devanagari.

Please feel free to share with others too. Thanks.

warm regards
subrahmanian.v

Irene Galstian

Aug 13, 2019, 2:21:48 PM8/13/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
I've just tried it on my Mac, and I do get results, but not from
Apte/MW/Kalpadruma, but from dictionaries like Spoken Sanskrit. There
are probably options to tweak somewhere to switch on these
dictionaries, but haven't found them yet.

Irene
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/CAKk0Te05ExSFjcf3NR13FLnoqeH%3D7Rb_FvrbNEqwQa35abg_Ow%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/CAB3-dzfZ72OaxX5wiR_mHu32nWyGCDokexY6ArThifsH9%3DQamA%40mail.gmail.com.

Irene Galstian

Aug 13, 2019, 2:22:33 PM8/13/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Subbu ji,

Do you get results from Apte, Monier Williams, etc?

Irene
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/CAKk0Te05ExSFjcf3NR13FLnoqeH%3D7Rb_FvrbNEqwQa35abg_Ow%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>>> .
>>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/CAB3-dzfZ72OaxX5wiR_mHu32nWyGCDokexY6ArThifsH9%3DQamA%40mail.gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/CAB3-dzfZ72OaxX5wiR_mHu32nWyGCDokexY6ArThifsH9%3DQamA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/CAKk0Te3%3Dac9fkwVHOdcCU6hURmhdu7M9GbYBEusLoMgEhxC4Dg%40mail.gmail.com.

Irene Galstian

Aug 13, 2019, 2:25:43 PM8/13/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Ahm wait... I take that back.
As you type the word, the site displays the list of dictionaries where
that string is present. Thus, instead of quickly typing, say, kamalam,
try typing slower. I typed 'kamala', and then the Apte, Monier
Williams, Kalpadruma options show up.

Irene

On 8/13/19, V Subrahmanian <v.subra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/CAKk0Te05ExSFjcf3NR13FLnoqeH%3D7Rb_FvrbNEqwQa35abg_Ow%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>>> .
>>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/CAB3-dzfZ72OaxX5wiR_mHu32nWyGCDokexY6ArThifsH9%3DQamA%40mail.gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/CAB3-dzfZ72OaxX5wiR_mHu32nWyGCDokexY6ArThifsH9%3DQamA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/CAKk0Te3%3Dac9fkwVHOdcCU6hURmhdu7M9GbYBEusLoMgEhxC4Dg%40mail.gmail.com.

S. L. Abhyankar

Aug 13, 2019, 4:49:02 PM8/13/19
to V Subrahmanian, bvpar...@googlegroups.com
I typed "a" expecting good detail about the first letter अ in देवनागरी.
Result was not satisfactory.
In Apte's dictionary at <https://dsalsrv04.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/app/apte_query.py?page=1> one gets not only quite sumptuous details, but also <N. B.-- The application of this privative prefix is practically unlimited; to give every possible case would almost amount to a dictionary itself. >

Madhav Deshpande

Sundareswaran N.K

Aug 13, 2019, 7:46:28 PM8/13/19
to bvparishat
I typed vyādha in Devanagari with Google hand writer . It showed up Apte, Shabdakalpadruma, etc. As I opted for Tamil it gave the meaning in Tamil too (as vēdan). It's really useful.

Dhaval Patel

Aug 13, 2019, 8:42:26 PM8/13/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
I am sure all of you must be aware of this - https://www.sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de/

All the dictionaries which exist out there were mostly a snapshot of this dictionary collection. It has 36 dicts as present.

I recommend using these dictionaries at Cologne, because they are updated constantly based on user submitted corrections. All other dictionaries available at other places do not necessarily keep up with the corrections made.

Roland Steiner

Aug 14, 2019, 3:38:28 AM8/14/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com

The following link to the largest up-to-date online dictionary of
Sanskrit (NWS = "Nachtragswörterbuch des [= supplemental dictionary
of] Sanskrit") may be of interest to some members of this list:

http://nws.uzi.uni-halle.de/search?lang=en

Short Description

"The data presented here form a cumulative supplemental dictionary of
Sanskrit, where the results from lexicographical works postdating the
smaller Petrograd dictionary of Otto Böhtlingk (pw) and the addenda by
Richard Schmidt (Schmidt) are collected in the form of brief
quotations. These were glossaries added to editions of texts as well
as specialized dictionaries. Glossaries that were obviously not up to
standard were excluded. The sources quoted are abbreviated, but never
modified or harmonized. Testimonia in these quotations are not updated
(for instance, by referring to more recent editions) and only one per
meaning was given. The quotations were also not translated and not all
testimonia could be checked in detail. Obvious errors and misprints
were silently corrected. The NWS gives access to a large body of
lexicographical material, but does not completely supersede the
glossaries that are its source.

The NWS is also neither a new unified dictionary nor a complete
thesaurus of quotations, nothing of the sort could be attempted in the
three years of its funding. However, we believe that it may greatly
facilitate future efforts in these directions, for it accomplishes a
radical expansion of our knowledge of Sanskrit lexicography: The NWS
contains 107553 entries—the pw has ca. 150000, Schmidt ca. 12000—which
are as a rule new lemmata, new meanings, or new testimonia not found
in pw and Schmidt, or indeed Monier-Williams, which very rarely goes
beyond the pw."

For a more detailed description see:

http://nws.uzi.uni-halle.de/description?lang=en

Best,

R. Steiner

Irene Galstian

Aug 14, 2019, 4:08:59 AM8/14/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Roland,

Thank you, this is a fascinating dictionary. Do you know who made it and the story behind it? Or maybe there’s a conference paper by the creators?

Irene

Roland Steiner

Aug 14, 2019, 5:09:33 AM8/14/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com, Irene Galstian

Irene,

The cumulative Sanskrit dictionary with the German title
"Nachtragswörterbuch des Sanskrit" (NWS) is the result of a joint
project at the German universities of Halle and Marburg and funded by
the DFG ("Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft" = German Research
Foundation). You will find a list of the team members here:

http://nws.uzi.uni-halle.de/?lang=en

This search tool lists lexicographical addenda from c. 170
dictionaries and glossaries, which postdate Böhtlingk's
"Sanskrit-Wörterbuch in kürzerer Fassung" (1879-89) as well as R.
Schmidts "Nachträge" (1928):

http://nws.uzi.uni-halle.de/dictionaries?lang=en

The search page provides a synoptic search in all three sources:

http://nws.uzi.uni-halle.de/search?lang=en

General information is provided here:

http://nws.uzi.uni-halle.de/description?lang=en

Basic usage is probably self-explanatory, but do use the button "Help
and useful hints" on the search page and the menu "Description".

Corrections and other feedback can be sent to n...@uzi.uni-halle.de.

You will find further information about the project in the document
attached (pp. 43-47).

Best,
Roland Steiner

Hanneder_Jürgen_Sanskrit_Lexicography_Hangzhou_2018.pdf

Sivasenani Nori

Aug 14, 2019, 5:40:06 AM8/14/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्, Irene Galstian
This is a fantastic effort.

Congratulations and thanks to all those who made the NWS possible.

Regards
N Siva Senani