Sundareswaran N.K

Jul 25, 2019, 1:21:37 AM7/25/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Dear list,
Happy to share an interview with Brahmasri Mani Dravid Sastriji.

nks

Irene Galstian

Jul 25, 2019, 1:45:38 AM7/25/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for this video.
In addition to enriching the viewers on the subject of traditional
education, it serves as an example of Sanskrit speech to be emulated
(note also the helpful presence of subtitles for learners). I wish we
could compile a repository of such videos, since there's a paucity of
video and audio material in Sanskrit done by people with true command
of the language and good diction.

Irene
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/CAB_6t-J60buN7kqjf7erfD%3DX1tC2JEdq0CqSpbJ8hkDh6AoTLQ%40mail.gmail.com.

K S Kannan

Jul 25, 2019, 2:01:00 AM7/25/19
to bvparishat
The last words - true command over the language and good diction -
are key criteria.

--
Dr. K.S.Kannan  D.Litt.

​Chair Professor, IIT-Madras.

Senior Fellow, ICSSR, New Delhi.

Academic Director, Swadeshi Indology.

Nominated Member, IIAS, Shimla.

Member, BoS, Chinmaya University/University of Hyderabad.

Former Professor, CAHC, Jain University, Bangalore.

Former Director, Karnataka Samskrit University, Bangalore.

Former Principal, Evening College, Samskrit University, Bangalore.

Former Head, Dept. of Sanskrit, The National Colleges, Bangalore.

Irene Galstian

Jul 25, 2019, 2:17:24 AM7/25/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, Sir. The mere fact of making such videos available uses access
to Internet - a problem the government has already tackled fairly well
- to assist everyone who is willing in acquiring Sanskrit.

Irene
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/CAFPaCQNOqpMF4iNqt20FuoAtS%3D8S%3DPNk-DHW3%2B83tHRkRyiZUA%40mail.gmail.com
>> .
>>

> --
> Dr. K.S.Kannan D.Litt.
>
> ​Chair Professor, IIT-Madras.
>
> Senior Fellow, ICSSR, New Delhi.
>
> Academic Director, Swadeshi Indology.
>
> Nominated Member, IIAS, Shimla.
> Member, BoS, Chinmaya University/University of Hyderabad.
>
> Former Professor, CAHC, Jain University, Bangalore.
>
> Former Director, Karnataka Samskrit University, Bangalore.
>
> Former Principal, Evening College, Samskrit University, Bangalore.
>
> Former Head, Dept. of Sanskrit, The National Colleges, Bangalore.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/CAN47gm62HhS1wkdYGHpAmyCEhaoqF7W%3D3TtKEM-On_rEQO-XcQ%40mail.gmail.com.

V Subrahmanian

Jul 25, 2019, 2:33:48 AM7/25/19
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT
Many thanks for sharing this video. The questions raised are of a wide range and we could get a good picture of the state of shaastra adhyayanam.

warm regards
subrahmanian.v

Megh Kalyanasundaram

Jul 25, 2019, 2:35:08 AM7/25/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Thank you very much for sharing.

Best,
Megh

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 10:51 AM Sundareswaran N.K <nksw...@gmail.com> wrote:

vishal jaiswal

Trichur Rukmani

Jul 25, 2019, 6:47:30 AM7/25/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
One of the best interviews I have heard ; Very informative and inspiring. The interviewer and interviewee were both of the highest standards. We need many more such interviews to inform us about the true state of sastra studies today. Perhaps we can also take a step further to remedy the state of affairs as well.
Thanks
om
rukmani

sudiptamunsi1987

Jul 25, 2019, 7:17:14 AM7/25/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
सर्वाण्यपि शास्त्राणि यया सुसरलयैव रीत्याऽऽचार्यचरणैर्बोध्यन्ते, तादृशी पाठनपरिपाटी साम्प्रतमत्यन्तं दौर्लभ्यं भजमाना वर्तते। तेषु सहजं वर्तते शास्त्ररक्षयितृत्वदुर्भेदशास्त्ररहस्यग्रन्थिच्छेकत्वदुर्बोध्यप्रबोधकत्वादीनां गुणानां निर्विकल्पं सहावस्थानम्। न केवलं प्रविष्टशास्त्रान् अध्येतॄन्नथवा विदुषोऽपि तु, मूढान् अपि बालान् सहेलं प्रबोधयितुमलं त इति मद्रपुर्यां तेषां सकाशेऽध्ययनार्थमवस्थानकालीनः प्रात्यक्षिकोऽनुभवो मम।। अतोऽशेषा भूमिप्रणामा मदीयास्तेभ्यः।

इति निवेद्य विरमति
तदीयशिष्याणामधमाधमो
मुन्सीत्युपाधिकः श्रीसुदीप्तदाशशर्मा

SUDIPTA MUNSI

Institute for the Cultural and Intellectual History of Asia

Austrian Academy of Sciences

Hollandstraße 11-13, 2nd floor
1020 Vienna, Austria

http://www.ikga.oeaw.ac.at/Mitarbeiter/Munsi

Siddharth Wakankar

Jul 25, 2019, 7:40:33 AM7/25/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Dear Shri Sudipta,

Some time back I had made a statement on some post here in BVP that the Sanskrit scholars should start writing in simple Sanskrit,so that it is easily understood.Your words like दौर्लभ्यं etc.prove my point that it is simple to write using difficult words and difficult to write in simple words. When we start using simple words,the things become simpler.

You seem to be comparatively a young scholar and if you start writing simple sentences in Sanskrit,you will also enjoy it and the readers will also appreciate it.

 Pl. do not misunderstand me.

Best of luck in your studies.

By the way,what kind of work are you supposed to do there? Kindly enlighten us on it.

Prof. Siddharth Y Wakankar.
Vadodara.9427339942.

Sudipta Munsi

Jul 25, 2019, 8:02:28 AM7/25/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Dear Prof. Wakankar,

I am working in a WWTF funded research project entitled "Reasoning Tools for Deontic Logic and Applications to Indian Sacred Texts", which aims at a formalisation of deontic principles in Mimamsa. The project is headed by my Ph.D. supervisor, Dr. Elisa Freschi of the Austrian Academy of Sciences and University of Vienna, and Prof. Dr. Agata Ciabattoni of the Technical University of Vienna. This is a major collaboration taking place among Indologists and logicians and computer scientists, whose professed goal is to preserve, circulate, promote, make better sense of and apply deontic principles of Mimamsa to present-day life. Further details of research going on within the project and some of the publications can be found at the following website:

Sastriji has been a major source of enlightenment for me through his untiring grant of interviews, clarification of knotty issues, answering of moot questions pertaining to deontic principles in Mimamsa and also by line-by-line teaching of core Mimamsa texts like the Vidhiviveka of Mandana Misra, etc. during my stay in Chennai in January, 2019.  He also delivered a very interesting talk in Sanskrit from India (per Skype) on the concluding day of a 7-day International Workshop on Mandana Misra's Vidhiviveka, organised by Dr. Elisa Freschi, and held at the Institute for the Culture and Intellectual History of Asia, Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna between 3rd and 10th July, 2019.

Best regards,
Sudipta Munsi

V Subrahmanian

Jul 25, 2019, 10:30:18 AM7/25/19
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 5:32 PM Sudipta Munsi <sudiptam...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Prof. Wakankar,

Sastriji has been a major source of enlightenment for me through his untiring grant of interviews, clarification of knotty issues, answering of moot questions pertaining to deontic principles in Mimamsa and also by line-by-line teaching of core Mimamsa texts like the Vidhiviveka of Mandana Misra, etc. during my stay in Chennai in January, 2019.  He also delivered a very interesting talk in Sanskrit from India (per Skype) on the concluding day of a 7-day International Workshop on Mandana Misra's Vidhiviveka, organised by Dr. Elisa Freschi, and held at the Institute for the Culture and Intellectual History of Asia, Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna between 3rd and 10th July, 2019.

Dear Sri Sudipta ji,

Could you kindly share the recording of the talk of Sri Sastriji that you mention above?

Thanks and regards
subrahmanian.v

Ramakrishnan

Jul 25, 2019, 11:50:20 AM7/25/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Namaste Sundareshwaran ji,

This is excellent, thank you for the interview and the video.

Regards,
Ramakrishnan

K S Kannan

Jul 25, 2019, 12:07:14 PM7/25/19
to bvparishat

Madhav Deshpande

Jul 25, 2019, 12:25:24 PM7/25/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Excellent video.  Good to know the educational experiences of Mani Dravid Shastri Ji.  Thanks for sharing.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]

Siddharth Wakankar

Jul 26, 2019, 2:54:50 AM7/26/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sudipta,

Am very happy to acknowledge with many thanks the receipt of your detailed reply.

It is definitely heartening to know of the academic collaboration in your institute.It is a very good enterprise to show or prove the relevance of Sanskrit in modern times also.

Best of luck to all of you in this welcome and significant project.

Prof. Siddharth Y Wakankar.
Vadodara.9427339942.

Sundareswaran N.K

Jul 26, 2019, 6:10:03 PM7/26/19
to bvparishat
Dear list members!
Let me thank all the scholars who reacted encouragingly to my post.
Thanks for the kind words of appreciation.
As for me,  it was a great experience to interview a learned scholar and realised soul like Shastri ji.
In him we can not see the weight of pedantry. On the other hand we feel the experience of bliss in his presence. A real विद्याविनयसम्पन्न.
There may be hundreds of scholars who are masters in many disciplines  - polymaths. But rarest of the rare  are अपारविनयान्वित s like Shastri ji.
This interview was recorded by our  University for  Doordarshan in 2016 or so to be included in the  educational segment of some  UGC programme usually telecast in the afternoons.
The technicality stipulates that many such videos of interviews submitted by  different approved centres are to  be okayed by a committee,  l am given to understand.  Also that the committee meets rarely and scrutinises a bunch of proposals.  This segment of the program is named 'Interface'.
I don't know whether this interview has ever been telecast by DD. However, with the consent of our University Electronic Media Centre,  now I have published through YouTube channel.
Regarding the status of Mimamsa tradition in India today, as Shastri ji  rightly points out we have lost  (for ever?) many streams and even valuable outputs. In Kerala,  it is well known, that there was a great tradition of Mimamsa. The celebrated family of Payyur Bhattas made a  great contribution. The members of this family,  for six generations,  have written significant commentaries on classic works on Mimamsa.
It is said that there was a practice in the family that every mature member have to come with a new sastric composition if he wants to participate in the Sraddha ceremony.
But none of the great works(recorded by historians ) are preserved for us.
This is the case of  ' Mimamsa ' as a discipline.
Apart from this we have got  our own indigenous मीमांसारीतिशास्त्र - out own methodology of analysis,  discourses and thought processes. This we have almost lost  in the case of many disciplines like Mathemattics and Medicine.
A collective sincere effort may bring in fruitful results in reviving some of these lost methodologies.
With pranams and thanks,
nks

Praveen R. Bhat

Jul 26, 2019, 11:19:29 PM7/26/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Namaste Vidvan Sundareswaranji,

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 3:40 AM Sundareswaran N.K <nksw...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your wonderful interview of Brahmashri Mani Dravid Shastriji. Shastriji's Sanskrit is a pleasure to listen to and especially this topic of his study was quite interesting. It is saddening to see how the Mimamsa tradition is losing its roots, but also heartening to see that the North-South disparity in Mimamsa following is being bridged by getting the right pandits to the right places.

We have so many ways to preserve of what is left of the sampradAya today and I hope that we are able to hand over in excess to the generations that follow. May I request you, Sir, to interview more such great personalities in Sanskrit if at all possible via the University programme or in your individual capacity? It is more direct an approach to interview traditional people and dig into their own words than to present the findings, maybe a research scholar's way.

praNAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
/* येनेदं सर्वं विजानाति, तं केन विजानीयात्। Through what should one know That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */

sridhar reddy

Aug 2, 2019, 7:10:26 AM8/2/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Respected vidwans,
       I need supporting evidence resources on 'Virtue Ethics'  from ancient Indian wisdom.

Nagaraj Paturi

Aug 2, 2019, 7:35:12 AM8/2/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
A brief introduction of you and your purpose may help us help you better.

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 4:40 PM sridhar reddy <chris...@gmail.com> wrote:
Respected vidwans,
       I need supporting evidence resources on 'Virtue Ethics'  from ancient Indian wisdom.

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Director,  Inter-Gurukula-University Centre for Indic Knowledge Systems.
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra

BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala

FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )

Subrahmanyam Korada

Aug 2, 2019, 7:35:51 AM8/2/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
नमो विद्वद्भ्यः

 supporting evidence resources on 'Virtue Ethics'  from ancient Indian wisdom

                                                               ------ Vid Sridhar Reddy

What do you actually want ? As far as possible employ देवभाषा rather than म्लेच्छभाषा ।

Virtue and Ethics -- these words are nebulous and equivocal  -- if one follows Ethics ( नीतिशास्त्रम् ) then it is a Virtue
(गुणः ) -- virtue x vice (दोषः) ।

In Indian tradition we have धर्म -  untranslatable as it is  pregnant with meaning and multi-pronged .

If you want  evidence for  धर्म / नीति (intertwined) it can be given extempore , right from वेद through वेदङ्ग-s - दर्शन-s -
पुराण-s - उपवेद-s - down to नीतिशतकम् ।

See clarity is not sacrificed .

धन्यो’स्मि

Dr.Korada Subrahmanyam
Professor of Sanskrit, CALTS,
University of Hyderabad,
Ph:09866110741(M),91-40-23010741(R),040-23133660(O)
Skype Id: Subrahmanyam Korada