Article on Mm Pullela Sriramachandrudu by Shatavadhani Dr. R. Ganesh

Sivasenani Nori

Mar 5, 2021, 12:14:03 PM3/5/21
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्

Sri Raghava Kiran Mukku

Mar 5, 2021, 9:53:25 PM3/5/21
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT
Thank you for sharing Sivasenani Garu.

On Fri, 5 Mar 2021, 10:44 pm Sivasenani Nori, <sivas...@gmail.com> wrote:

Chandra Shekhar

Mar 6, 2021, 1:15:01 PM3/6/21
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to Shrimaan Shatavadhani Dr. R. Ganesh for this great article.

Perhaps it is not too late to recognize the contributions of Mm Pullela Sriramachandrudu. Possible recognitions can be in many ways. We should start this grand recognition process soon. It inspires future generations.

The article says the following =
On the one hand we have such mammoth and expensive endeavours backed by enormously wealthy sponsors endowed with a colonial mind set, promoting questionable prefaces and interpretations, which are far removed from genuine and rooted Indian sensibilities. On the other, we have fantastic native luminaries such as Pullela Sriramachandrudu, Sripada Damodar Satavalekar, Revaprasad Dwivedi, Sri Rama Sharma (from Haridwar’s Gayatri Ashram), Sudhakar Chaturvedi, Charla Ganapati Sastri and Baladeva Upadhyay, each a powerhouse in their own right. The fact that none of their outstanding accomplishments have received even a basic acknowledgement from the so-called Bhadralok inhabiting our nation’s academic-literary-cultural landscape is profoundly tragic.”

Ganesh R

Mar 7, 2021, 8:17:32 AM3/7/21
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir,

Thanks a lot for your kind words. The translator, my friend Sri. Sandeep Balakrishna should be profusely thanked. Of course, this is not the exact translation of my article. It is a free rendering of the original Kannada article in English.

With best regards

Ganesh

Madhav Deshpande

Mar 7, 2021, 8:46:05 AM3/7/21
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Dear Shri Ganesh Ji,

     Your article is very informative about the contributions of a prominent scholar. Thanks are also due to the translator. Without that translation, your article would not be available to people like me who cannot read Kannada. Thanks to both of you.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]

Ganesh R

Mar 7, 2021, 9:26:25 AM3/7/21
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir,

Thanks a lot for your good words. Yes, the main problem with the information regarding the life and work of our scholars here is the inaccessibility of the same in English. Because of this, even many literary giants of languages are becoming unknown to our own neigborers. Perhaps writing about them in Sanskrit is one of the solutions.

With best regards

Ganesh

Chandra Shekhar

Mar 7, 2021, 10:56:45 PM3/7/21
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Namaste 🙏
Any ideas on how to accomplish Recognition of Mm Pullela Sriramachandrudu
That way future generations are inspired to read his literary works and commend his contributions
Best Regards

On Mar 6, 2021, at 12:14 PM, Chandra Shekhar <shekhar4...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks to Shrimaan Shatavadhani Dr. R. Ganesh for this great article.

Sivasenani Nori

Mar 8, 2021, 1:12:13 AM3/8/21
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Sir

In our tradition Rishirina is repaid by keeping alive the knowledge discovered and passed on by them.

In the same vein, the best way to remember Mm Padmasri Pullela Ramachandrudu is to keep his works in circulation by reading them amd support the institutions built by him. On that count, things are not very encouraging. Many of his books used to be bought by students, where his translation was the only one available in Telugu - Dhvanyaloka with Locana, for instance - but nowadays, newer guidebook-like translations, restricted to the exam syllabus have come up and students read only important questions in these. There are certain other original works of the Mahatapasvi like ko vai rasaH (published by Sahitya Akademi if memory serves me right) but these are no longer available.

All the three institutions built by him in Hyderabad are doing well, though both Samskrta bhasha prachara samiti and Sura Bharati Samiti have seen better days. Sanskrit Academy is doing good work, especially in publishing. The glory days of publishing the definitive edition of Kasika are not yet back but there is hope. The Department of Sanskrit in Osmania University, that he served for most of his working life, is doing better than say, the  department in Andhra University, but it is slowly decaying. Faculty strength is down from 8 to 4 (if that). They have stopped publishing their annual journal (the last one was in 2008 or thereabouts). No major work of national importance has been done by this department or its faculty for a long time now, though one of the alumni Prof. Penna Madhusudan (now in Nagpur) won the Sahitya Akademi award for his Mahakavya.

More than awards, if the current generation of scholars could be exhorted to adopt the same standards of learning as the great teacher, that would be the best way to repay a part of our rina.

Regards
N Siva Senani

shankara

Mar 8, 2021, 2:52:08 AM3/8/21
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Namaste,

A talk on 'Life and Works of Mm Pullela Sriramachandrudu' by Prof. P. Shashi Rekha held in Sahitya Akademi's webline literature series, is available at the link given below.

regards
shankara