Indic Academy's funding and invitation to research on Sri Thangaswami's Advaita Bibliography

Nagaraj Paturi

Jul 31, 2019, 12:03:19 AM7/31/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
There is a 1980 book

" Advaida-Vedanta Literature

A Bibliographical Survey"

written by

Sri R Thagaswami

(Nyaaya VyaakaraNa Vedaanta S'iromaNi

RaashTrabhaashaa praveeNa, Hindi Vidvan)

Lecturer in Sanskrit

Sanskrit Department, University of Madras

published by

University of Madras

The book is in Sanskrit.

There is a Foreword in English bySri K Kunjunni Raja

Introduction by the author is in English.

There is a huge chart of Advaitagranthakartrgurus'ishyaparamparaavrikshah tree diagram of the guru-s'shya lineage of the authors of Advaita books attached to the last page .

The book is in 454 pages with an additional 62 pages of Indexes of Authors, books, names and places, quotations etc.

----------------------------------

Indic Academy's Inter Gurukula University Center invites researchers to work on this book

    1. from the point of view of tracing the works mentioned in the book but not available /known in scholarly circles

    2.  study the contents and significance of the books mentioned, available but less known among scholarly circles

    3. bring into limelight books that deserve to be made known to Advaita saadhakas.

Researchers shall be remunerated and expenses for visiting manuscript libraries and other sources shall be reimbursed.

Interested scholars may write to Indica...@gmail.com.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile , scholars may present papers on the significance of this book at the Conference on Oneness for which Call for Papers was announced here.

A copy of the book shall be provided free of cost to those who are interested in presenting a paper at the conference and / or taking up research on the above lines .

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः

Jul 31, 2019, 11:07:56 PM7/31/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्

    3. bring into limelight books that deserve to be made known to Advaita saadhakas.
I'm interested in this part. What does it mean? Just writing some article about the unpublished advaita work or procuring, editing and publishing the same?
If last, then it's even better than first option.
One may face hurdles in procuring manuscripts, since some libraries have policy which make it difficult to get a digital copy in first place, and in some cases publication based on their manuscript is strictly not allowed. If someone can help in these matters too, it will be very nice.

Nagaraj Paturi

Jul 31, 2019, 11:19:16 PM7/31/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
You are welcome swamiji.

With regard to the difficulties in procuring manuscripts, we will try to help in all aspects where our network or other such potentials of us can help.

Some problems may have to do with personality aspects of the officers in charge there. We can only try persuasion and hope for the best.

Would you like to have a copy of Sri Tanha swami's book?

Or

You already have a book in mind?

I respectfully invite you to bring a paper to the conference.

V Subrahmanian

Aug 1, 2019, 2:13:45 AM8/1/19
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT
Namaste

If this research project can be put across students in their post graduate/doctoral courses as prospective work to gain credit in their courses/degrees, it can draw more responses.  Universities may also be persuaded to recognize this research project and accept work as part of the course for awarding degrees.

warm regards
subrahmanian.v

Nagaraj Paturi

Aug 1, 2019, 2:20:01 AM8/1/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Respected Sri Subbu-ji,

There is no need of a separate persuasion.

It will certainly be accepted for a degree giving research work by any university.

Thanks for the suggestion.

We will send a request to the faculty and research course applicants/aspirants of various universities.

Warm regards,

--
Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Director,  Inter-Gurukula-University Centre for Indic Knowledge Systems.
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra

BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala

FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )

Siddharth Wakankar

Aug 1, 2019, 2:53:53 AM8/1/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Sirs,

I have been requesting (since 1982) my teacher.friends in Sanskrit to give some small manuscript to their students for M.Phil. also,so that they can continue their studies for Ph.D.also on some rare and unpublished MSS Now,it seems some are subscribing to this view and getting their doctorate degrees on research work based on MSS. Let us hope,this trend continues and more Sanskrit scholars pay their attention to MSS. on scientific and technical literature in Sanskrit.

Fortunately,increasing number of swamis from Sampradayas like Jain,Swaminarayan,Iskcon etc ( who are expert in technical subjects like computer,engineering etc.) are now studying Sanskrit texts and contributing to this kind of research.Welcome to them.

Prof. Siddharth Y Wakankar.
Vadodara.9427339942.

shankara

Aug 4, 2019, 2:01:20 AM8/4/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Paturi ji,

I think the first book of this genre is 'Advaita Grantha Kosa' compiled by PN Pattabhirama Sastri, published in 1958.

Though it is not as large as Thangaswami's work, it covers almost all the topics covered in the latter. On comparing the contents of both the works, I find that Thangaswami's book follows almost the same pattern as that of Advaita Grantha Kosa - A brief Summary of Advaita Vedanta and its history, Upanishat Prasthana, Gita Prasthana and Brahmasutra Prasthana followed by index of Advaita authors and Advaita works published and unpublished, and so on.

I find that the contribution of PN Pattabhirama Sastri in the bibliographical survey of Advaita Vedanta is not acknowledge anywheere by Thangaswami. Moreover, Dr. Kunjunni Raja who wrote foreword to Thangaswami's book considers it first of its kind. Were both Thangaswamy and Kunjunni Raja not aware of Advait Grantha Kosa? Or did they not consider it worthy of mention?

regards
shankara

Nagaraj Paturi

Aug 4, 2019, 3:51:32 AM8/4/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Sri Shankara-ji,

Were both Thangaswamy and Kunjunni Raja not aware of Advait Grantha Kosa? Or did they not consider it worthy of mention?

-- Thats a good question.

Your bringing into light the book Advaita Grantha Kosa  compiled by PN Pattabhirama Sastri, published in 1958 is a very good contribution to the discussion.

I think it is a good idea for you to prepare a paper on the comparative study between the two books arguing Advaita Grantha Kosa could be have guided the compilation of Sri Thangaswami's book and present it at the conference

under the 10th theme.

With admiration and regards,

Nagaraj

shankara

Aug 4, 2019, 3:56:16 AM8/4/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Paturiji,

I asked the question to learn from scholars of BVP. I don't have experience or training in writing papers.

regards
shankara