Re: {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} Question about Shreevaishnva sampradaya

Raghavendra

Oct 13, 2021, 11:28:40 PM10/13/21
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Season's greetings,

The idea-of-ब्रह्मन् according to सर्वश्री-रामानुजाचार्य is,

ब्रह्मशब्देन स्वभावतः निरस्तनिखिलदोषः अनवधिकातिशयासङ्ख्येयकल्याणगुणगण: पुरुषोत्तमोऽभिधीयते।

All names are epithets of ब्रह्मन् who is conceived as above. So, according to
सर्वश्री-रामानुजाचार्य, the names viz., शिव, शङ्कर, इन्द्र and others in their etymological sense speak of ब्रह्मन् who is स्वभावतः निरस्तनिखिलदोषः and अनवधिकातिशयासङ्ख्येयकल्याणगुणगण: and पुरुषोत्तमः

The philosophical idea behind the above conception is - "ब्रह्मन् is वाच्य", meaning ब्रह्मन् is directly expressible by words (all words belonging to the domain of लौकिक & वैदिक)

Coming to your *core questions* of how Shiva is to be worshipped in that sampradaya and why followers of that sampradaya do not visit Shiva temples, I am afraid, I am not competent to answer,

The text quoted above may hold an answer, but I defer it to experts belonging to the sampradaya.

Thank you and Best regards,
Sent from RediffmailNG on Android
Oct 14, 2021, 4:08:11 AM10/14/21
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT
Namaste

I have learnt from my Srivaishnava friends that for them the Bhakti to Vishnu takes the form of 'Paramaikaantikatva', that is, it is centered only on Vishnu without deviating to any other god. Devotion to Vishnu and His consort Mahalakshmi is supreme for them. Hence they do not worship Shiva or any other parivara of Shiva. There is a story related to Ramanuja: He refused to enter  a Shiva temple on the wayside even in the face of battering rain saying 'a chaste woman would not seek another man'.  I have also read a Srivaishnava article that they should desist from learning music and dance since these would open occasions to sing/contemplate/perform the glories of gods other than Vishnu. Their devotion to Vishnu is to such an extent that they would never even name children after other gods.

Yet there are instances such as an Azhwar appreciating a Nayanmaar (devotee of Shiva).  There is also this paasuram of PeyAzhwar:

http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org/index.php/2018/05/munram-thiruvandhadhi-63/     Vishnu took the form of Shiva and Vishnu in the same body..

regards
subrahmanian.v