Education part of proposal

Yin Yang

Mar 23, 2015, 10:25:27 PM3/23/15
to btr...@googlegroups.com
Thought I'd organize this a little so we can section a few of these topics up.

Maybe, discussion related to education should go here....

Yin Yang

Apr 7, 2015, 9:04:51 PM4/7/15
to btr...@googlegroups.com
Aloha Fellow BTRT,

I am organizing everyones emails to make this months proposal a reality.  I had to take a minute to do some additional research on the links Colin included on his part of the proposal.  Since education is where everyone seems to be leaning towards in reducing bicycle theft, I thought I would share with you this incredible link

I would like to incorporate a specific section on education elaborating on current models that are working for other major cities and thanks to Colin's link on bicycle kitchens, I came across this incredible community group in Vancouver Canada.  I actually called them because I wanted to pick their brains about how they were able to develop such a comprehensive group but of course the long distance in Canada kicked me off my cell phone.  So alas, I will have to use email instead.

This is a link to their website!  Very impressive and I believe it could be used as a potential model for improving our educational outreach.

Thoughts?

I never heard from Anthony about his section on the police proposal.  If anyone wants to take a stab at it, please let me know.

Thanks again for everyones input and active participation!

In health,

Soha

I was absolutely blown away

Colin Leath

Apr 7, 2015, 10:28:43 PM4/7/15
to Yin Yang, btr...@googlegroups.com
Yamoto, or anyone who knows--
  • did we get a report on the revenue brought in by the bicycle tax? (and the bicycle auction for that matter)
I'm wondering how much revenue we need to bring in to make it up if it is repealed or modified.

Soha, can I have Anthony's contact info? We should get the police liason to be at the next meeting!!!

If he's not doing it I can try-- but I'd rather someone else did that.....

Below is the rest of what I wrote.

I'm looking at alternate funding sources. Colorado Springs is the only city in the world with a tax somewhat like Hawaii's, and it is only $4. I especially like how California now allows a motor vehicle registration surcharge to pay for bike lanes and trails.
---------------------------------------

Soha,
Wow, that is a prize find ( http://www.citylab.com/commute/2015/04/the-social-costs-of-driving-in-vancouver-in-1-chart/389805/?utm_source=SFFB )

If you haven't started using skype, google voice, or groove-ip, or Ring-to-- look into those-- you can call nearly anywhere in the world for nearly free. (you can call the US from basically anywhere for free but not other countries as much).

For Anthony, Do you have any contact info? we should give him a call-- all someone needs to do really is get in touch with the the police liason officer. Here's the non emergency number: (808)529-3111

In addition to the first thing I wrote up, I'm working on another version:

Bicycle registration/licensing policy review to incorporate some of what I've learned more recently.

(Here's the old doc, fyi: Bike Registration Improvement)

If you haven't looked at this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bike_registry  that leads in helpful directions.

including to:

https://www.bikeregister.com/ (for the UK) which has multiple price levels of rather nice tagging technology.

But related to education:
Bikeindex recently put out the following:

Did we ever get a report on how much money the registration program brings in??

Milner, Yamato

Apr 7, 2015, 10:56:11 PM4/7/15
to Colin Leath, Yin Yang, btr...@googlegroups.com

Annual revenue from bicycle registration is around $450,000

Couldn’t get the bicycle auction info yet.

Yamato Milner

(808)768-8312

Milner, Yamato

Apr 7, 2015, 10:57:53 PM4/7/15
to Colin Leath, Yin Yang, btr...@googlegroups.com

Forgot to mention, I have contacted HPD, Sergeant Valoroso (District 1) to see if he can attend the MACB meeting.  If you have another HPD contact, please let me know.

Yamato Milner

(808)768-8312

Yin Yang

Apr 8, 2015, 12:05:51 AM4/8/15
to btr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this Colin,

I got a very interesting response from the Executive Director from the Edmonton group in Canada.  His response was:

Hi Soha,

Thanks for reaching out!

Hawaii is probably the only large example of mandatory bicycle registration that I know of; almost all other jurisdictions have decided against it. Bike Calgary has put together a page with some arguments about it (though I notice they have neglected to mention Hawaii): http://bikecalgary.org/licensing
Edmonton hasn't required bicycles to be registered since 1956: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/story_print.html?id=10943765

My question, "How involved are the police with the cycle commuity?"

His response: The police are minimally involved.

My question: "How do they raise money for bicycle projects?"

His response: We advocate at City Hall and support the efforts of other community groups and individuals who push the City to prioritize active transportation infrastructure spending. We don't raise money for cycling routes: we've already paid our taxes for public services, which should include a safe transportation network.

My question: "Have you considered utilizing a GPS system for bikes?"

His responses: The vast majority of bicycles on our streets are worth less than $1000; likely, most are also worth less than $500. The cost of GPS tracking would not be worth the benefit. For people with more valuable bicycles, often their home insurance will already cover the theft of the bicycle.

My question: "How do you educate the public and handle thefts?"

His response: We encourage people to record their serial number. We recommend they register their info using Bike Index at http://edmontonbikes.ca/registry. Our registry page also lets people search the national police database for the serial number of their bicycle if it has ended up in police hands. We encourage people to only use U-locks.

My question:  How do you track thefts and recovery of bikes?"

His response: We do not. The local police service may; but they don't keep particularly good statistics when it comes to bicycles.

My question: "Do you have a bike bait program?"

His response: We do not. It would probably be really fun, but expensive and, unless it happens to catch something like Igor Kenk, probably not very effective at reducing thefts, given the diversity of bike thieves, many of whom would never be aware of a bike bait program and therefore wouldn't be deterred by it. It's certainly never going to be a high-priority item for the police, though it could be a fascinating grassroots project.

We consider the best way to reduce bike theft is educating people on how to record their serial number and properly secure their bicycle. This is quite different than our position on safety (where we focus on infrastructure and design), but unfortunately, it seems like the most effective route with limited resources.

Staging a media event ("how bike thieves can steal your bike in under 30 seconds / how not to have your bike stolen") in the spring can be an effective way of educating people.

Regards,

Christopher Chan
Executive Director
Edmonton Bicycle Commuters Society
edmontonbikes.ca

Yin Yang

Apr 8, 2015, 12:14:09 AM4/8/15
to btr...@googlegroups.com, colin...@gmail.com, perfectpa...@gmail.com
Thank you Yamato,

I do not think Anthony is responsive to doing the HPD part of the proposal.  I only have his email address, no phone number.  In the meantime, I agree we need to proactively invite HPD to the meeting, so in addition to SGT Valoroso, I will be happy to contact them tomorrow to put the word out.

I also plan to contact Brighid Okeem, a main person affiliated with the alliance for Biking and Walking Group.  They seem to have some excellent funding for projects for bicycle theft.  I spoke to Jeffrey Miller today and he directed me to the advocay alliance.org site.  He already knows Danile with HBL,

I will do my best to post a rough draft for the proposal tonight.  Anyone who wants to jump on the HPD part, go for it!

Thanks again everyone for your interest and participation!

In health,

Soha

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 6:57:53 PM UTC-8, Yamato Milner wrote:

Forgot to mention, I have contacted HPD, Sergeant Valoroso (District 1) to see if he can attend the MACB meeting.  If you have another HPD contact, please let me know.

Yamato Milner

(808)768-8312

Annual revenue from bicycle registration is around $450,000

Couldn’t get the bicycle auction info yet.

Yamato Milner

(808)768-8312

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/btrthi/e2225a9e-bea8-420c-af08-fa4718e97992%40googlegroups.com.

Colin Leath

Apr 8, 2015, 2:34:38 AM4/8/15
to Milner, Yamato, btr...@googlegroups.com

On Apr 7, 2015 4:55 PM, "Milner, Yamato" <ymi...@honolulu.gov> wrote:

> Annual revenue from bicycle registration is around $450,000

How can that be correct? Is that for the whole state or just Honolulu? If 30,000 bikes are registered every year. . . Shouldn't there be a lot more around? Is it including the mopeds? Hope I'm not missing something obvious!

In trying to find per capita bike and car rates, the following came up:

(Nov. 2014) AS THE NATION TURNS, HAWAII IS STILL
DRIVEN
Across America, people are driving a lot less in their cars, but vehicle miles are way up in Hawaii. We ask why and check out
what’s happening with the alternatives to sitting in traffic, including walking, riding bikes and buses, and sharing a ride.

http://www.hawaiibusiness.com/as-the-nation-turns-hawaii-is-still-driven/

Colin Leath

Apr 8, 2015, 4:41:28 PM4/8/15
to Milner, Yamato, btr...@googlegroups.com

In thinking about this question-- a few things came up--

  • Colorado Springs has a similar population to Honolulu and a similar number of bicycle sales (which are taxed-- different from registrations).
  • According to the Nov 2014 article below, about 50,000 motor vehicles are sold each year (in the state?) and about the same number is "recycled" each year.
  • HOWEVER: the following article from 2007:

Hawaii vehicles nearly match state population

suggests there are only 9,000 or less motor vehicle registrations per year.

So someone's made a mistake? is it possible so many motor vehicles are sold, but not registered? Perhaps 41,000 of the vehicles that are sold are replacing a vehicle that gets recycled and the other registrations are transferred.

But, with respect to bicycles, something unique to Hawaii's situation could be that many many bicycles are bought by transient residents (tourists, college students, snowbirds, etc) and later abandoned or sold.

Low-income/outdoor dwelling/homeless people could be collecting many of these, many of which could then be impounded by the police.

So, are in fact about 30,000 bicycles impounded by the police every year?

  • how many bikes do the police ship away each year? (Yamoto?)

Or are all those bikes just mouldering in people's garages?

If that is what happens--

it might not be a good idea to mandate bike registration (even with bikeindex.org) at time of sale.

  • How can one transfer ownership of an abandoned or donated bike if it is registered with a site like bike index? (something to ask bikeindex about)

If only people who are motivated to register their bike do so then that may maintain the usefulness of the bikeindex system.

If a lot of serial numbers get registered with bike index and then those bikes get abandoned. . . it may not be possible to re-register those bikes later?

Who knows...

Thanks for all the links Soha, by the way, I've got a lot of reading to do. And thanks for managing the police end of things. We probably should have subscribed Anthony to this email list a long time ago-- that could have kept him in the loop...

I suppose we should try to inform possible attendees ahead of time about the proposal, what ever we end up with, so they have time to think about it.

Colin

Milner, Yamato

Apr 8, 2015, 6:38:58 PM4/8/15
to Colin Leath, btr...@googlegroups.com

The figure is just for bicycles registered within a year in the City and County of Honolulu (entire island of Oahu). It does not include mopeds or bicycles on other islands. Majority of these registrations occur at the point of sale (at the shop).

The figure shouldn’t be used to determine how many bicyclists are riding on our roadways. Just because someone purchases a bicycle does not mean they ride it, a person can register multiple bicycles yet can only ride one at a time, and some may purchase a bike and ride outside of Oahu.

According to the American Community Survey Report (2008 – 2012), urban Honolulu (census designated place) is 15th in the nation with 1.8% of commuters biking to work. With roughly 340,000 residents, it’s an estimated 6,120 commuting bicyclists.

Yamato Milner

(808)768-8312

And if you think about the number of reported thefts per year in comparison to the estimated number of bicycle commuters, that’s a huge bike loss rate - circa 17-20%. If you add in a few thousand more bikes on the road to count in casual riders (say, bring the number up to 10000), that’s still coming in around a 10% theft:cyclist ratio (ignoring other factors like theft during break-in if the bike wasn’t in regular use). That’s pretty high! It goes even higher when you add in unreported thefts.

On Apr 8, 2015, at 12:38 PM, Milner, Yamato <ymi...@honolulu.gov> wrote:

The figure is just for bicycles registered within a year in the City and County of Honolulu (entire island ofOahu). It does not include mopeds or bicycles on other islands. Majority of these registrations occur at the point of sale (at the shop).
<AmericanCommunitySurvey-2008-2012.pdf>

Val Finlayson
finla...@gmail.com
PhD Candidate