Re: Now what? ~ Everything !!...

Edward Huls

Apr 15, 2015, 11:46:31 AM4/15/15
to Colin Leath, btr...@googlegroups.com
Well, dear fellow-bicycle-anarchist Colin~  once again, your message here is brimming with "revolution & anarchy"!  Two things that have always driven me in my thus-far-young-life.   Your stay with us has been far too short and I, for one, will sorely miss your passion & commitment ~ the MACB, for the most part, is a solid group of like-minded & like-spirited folks.  Unfortunately, some of them are fearful to play "outside of the box".  This is something that has never stopped me.  nor another fellow bicycle-anarchist/ & early MACB member, Ed Johnson.  The last I heard, Ed was struggling with the "Big C"'and I think he might have succumbed to it.  Ed and I would have the greatest fun, riding "naked" (metaphorically speaking) in the end-of-the-month "Critical Mass" rides.  Now that dude was a hard-core, full-blown bicycle anarchist who rode like he had nothing to lose.  It was only later, too late, that I found out that Ed "didn't have anything to lose".  I, and Soha and Sentwali and Yamato and Chris and a handful of others, will carry-on with your good work, after you've gone.  I will do my best to get in touch with sista' Sam (Samantha) in San Diego and see what's-up with her.  I too, have an older Trek, blue & silver, aluminum-frame.  Mine is the "Trek 7000 multi-track"'hybrid commuter ~ best bike I've ever owned ~ I've gone over her handle-bars so many times and she always stands straight-up, never a bent-frame.   Too bad you may be just leaving yours off at the airport...   Be well, do good work (and I know that you do), and keep in touch... your fellow bicycle advocate & anarchist, ~Edward/ Mo'PoB - More People on Bikes ~ for a healthier & happier Peopke, and a healthier planet Earth ~

On Tuesday, April 14, 2015, Colin Leath <colin...@gmail.com> wrote:

I leave Thursday morning. . . if anyone knows anyone who wants to buy the following bike:

https://bikeindex.org/bikes/41102

Please let me know. Otherwise I may just leave it at the airport with a little sign on it!

Some parting thoughts:

--consider checking ebay for bikes sold from honolulu as well as craigslist.

--I apologize for saying "how optimistic" when that committee member said "I hope we can all speak with one mind". I'd rather have said nothing. What I meant was "How normative." I don't like groupthink. But I can see how when interacting with the HPD it could be good to be clear on what we'd like.

What will happen next in my imaginary scenario?

--the movement (bike culture) will tap into the energy of the Sexy Civics movement. Oahu Surfrider has been a leader of it here. Here are some links:

http://www.ted.com/talks/eric_liu_why_ordinary_people_need_to_understand_power?language=en

https://oahu.surfrider.org/civics-is-sexy-surfrider-oahu-rap-legslative-bills-of-importance/

And the students of sustainable UH too: http://www.sustainableuh.org/

--There will be another bike kitchen started at some point? (We could benefit from some anarchist organizers who bike. Many of the ones I've met here at Occupy Honolulu/food not bombs drive. But not all!)

--There will be more group bike rides?

--the following law will be changed at some point:

Seizure and sale of nonregistered vehicles (§249-15)

Any bicycle having no decal as described in the previous section is subject to impoundment by City officials. The owner has ten (10) days in which to recover the vehicle by paying the tax due and a $1.00 penalty. Unclaimed bikes will be sold at public auction [on the mainland?] after a five-day public notice is given through advertising in a newspaper or posted notices in at least three public places [On the mainland?]. Upon the sale of a bike, any money received beyond the tax and fees due plus the cost of advertising will be given to the vehicle's owner, if the owner is known. If the owner cannot be located in ninety (90) days, the money will be kept by the City.

(In the rack in the parking garage of the Fasi building today, the majority of bikes did not have stickers, and two had defaced ones (Cycle Manoa bikes perhaps). A law like this that would let police take more than half the bikes parked in the rack of the Frank C Fasi government building. . . is a sign of something. Almost makes me wish I was a lawyer. )

--To get information about where the bike fund money goes: maybe send an FOIA (freedom of information act) request to Budget and Fiscal Services. Also, most nonprofits are transparent about their finances. Perhaps you could ask HBL.

S&S, here's that inspiring person I mentioned:

From http://www.bikewalkalliance.org/blog/581-biking-a-walking-roundup-april-fools :

Sam Ollinger of BikeSD shares her story of becoming a bike blogger, cross-country cyclist, and advocate with the Washington Bikes Summit.
http://wabikes.org/2015/04/01/bicycling-connects-communities/

Why did she decide to start an entirely new organization in a city where there already was a bike coalition? I'm curious about how she came to do that.  Here's the old org http://sdbikecoalition.org/. Here's Sam's: bikesd.org

She used to write a blog http://www.google.com/m?q=brown+girl+in+the+lane I can't really find it though. Guess I have to ask her or read old bikesd posts. But I have a hunch why too.

And Here's some more inspiration:
http://www.google.com/m?q=Portland+bike+theft+summit

This has been a good project to work on. Thanks!

Oh yeah, and there's no reason, regardless of what city and state do, people couldn't go around and get bike stores to partner with bike index or project529 (automatically registering bikes sold there in those systems)

And, like Edward does, no reason not for us to go straight to governor and mayor with our concerns. And helpful legislators. Chris Lee will be in room 414 of the capitol building tomorrow at noon with Sen Gabbard explaining /exploring how Hawaii can achieve 100% renewable energy. Maybe see you there!

Colin

Maaza Mekuria

Apr 16, 2015, 12:14:35 AM4/16/15
to Colin Leath, btr...@googlegroups.com, Edward Huls
I echo Edward's thoughts.  You have been a very helpful friend of bikers.  Your volunteer work in many places has been a blessing to many people.  I trust you will find like minded people where you go and may the Lord of Life, who is celebrated this month, be with you and give you a very long and blessed life.

It was good to have known you and God willing our paths may cross sometime in the future.

Farewell