Modeling an Air Source Heat Pump

Gabriel Grajewski

Apr 6, 2022, 5:41:12 PM4/6/22
to Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)

Hello all,

I’m a newcomer to brick. I tried to start off simple by modeling a single room with an air source heat pump (ASHP). However, I could not find an ASHP in the ontology page or find an example of someone else making one. Would the best approach to modeling an ASHP be creating one from the existing classes such has heat exchangers and valves, creating a custom ASHP class, or something I have not considered? Thank you in advance for your time.

Thank you,

Gabriel Grajewski

Erik Paulson

Apr 18, 2022, 4:06:35 PM4/18/22
to Gabriel Grajewski, Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
Hi Gabriel -

We are working on adding better support for heat pumps to Brick - you can take a look at this pull request:

The final version will probably look something like that, but as it's still in development, it could change, of course. It's unfortunately a bit confusing because we have a couple of things in progress that are all related and running through that pull request, which is making this just a bit tough to land, but we're hoping soon!

If you're just exploring, you can probably use what's defined in those pull requests as the basis for whatever you're modeling, but if you want to be really safe for the long-term, you can use that as a basis for a custom ASHP class in your own "extension" namespace.

Comments and feedback on how the proposed heat pump modeling classes work would be most appreciated!

-Erik