Members not very responsive

hunbe...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2020, 1:48:36 AM7/19/20
to Brian
Hi,

My observations are that some of the posts here have many views, yet no one is helpful in replying. Even if the readers dont understand the example, at least it would be good to acknowledge that it is a difficult problem or the examples formulated in the posts are vague. Agree?

Goodman, Daniel F M

Jul 19, 2020, 1:51:28 AM7/19/20
to brians...@googlegroups.com
A lot of people, including the main Brian developers, are on holiday at the moment. Please be patient over the next few weeks.

Dan

---
This email was written on my phone, please excuse my brevity.

Matias Ison

Jul 19, 2020, 5:54:30 AM7/19/20
to brians...@googlegroups.com
Sorry but what does 'on holidays...that's an old argument...' supposed to mean? I'm new to Brian and I've found very helpful information and responses in the forum. My understanding is that Brian has a small team of developers, who are also academics, and additional efforts made by postdocs, students and users. This is not a product you'd be calling customer services about. If the community is small, the best thing you can do is to learn, contribute and share.

People have every right to take holidays and to engage in forums as much (or as little) as they can. Not even mentioning we're in the middle of a pandemic!

Have a nice day,
Matias

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/briansupport/42b83cfa-e5fe-4d5a-b0be-d20f8e945af7o%40googlegroups.com.

slim....@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2020, 6:43:40 AM7/19/20
to Brian
not in the middle of the pandemic sorry that's Totally WRONG ! it means that even in holidays we can answer questions on the internet ! and funny how messages like mine always find a replier when they are criticism (not about Research). Sorry but this whole thing i refute it's bad and it's not good. Bye now.

Henry Miller

Jul 19, 2020, 7:02:42 AM7/19/20
to Brian
Maybe we should start providing incentives such as reward points for members to answer questions. Somehow it seems like how many things work.....

aji...@comcast.net

Jul 19, 2020, 10:17:50 AM7/19/20
to brians...@googlegroups.com

When I started my research, I’d planned to write my own simulator, until I discovered Brian2 and GeNN. It is a well-designed simulator and has been a HUGE timesaver. I will add that Marcel, Dan and Thomas Nowotny have been very good about responding to my rookie questions and answering them patiently. I have also learned that it is quite easy to put together quick experiments to answer some of my questions on my own.

With regard to answering questions and contributing to the community, well, it takes time to understand someone else’s work deeply enough to confidently and correctly answer questions about it, but I hope to start contributing in that way (and contributing to the codebase as well if I can usefully do so) by the time I’m finished with my dissertation.

Ajit

Willam Xavier

Jul 19, 2020, 10:44:16 AM7/19/20
to brians...@googlegroups.com
Brian team has been excellent in Q/A. Many questions can be answered by users themselves after going through the forum and manual.

Wei

Brian2User

Jul 20, 2020, 12:39:40 AM7/20/20
to Brian
I agree partially with this post. As far as I have observed, apart from Marcel there seems to be nobody who responds or even cares to comment. I have had a couple  of my own posts having more than 100 views but hardly anybody joined to help. It nearly took a couple of weeks before Marcel responded. If anyone we must build a shrine for Marcel as he alone responds to queries.

I see some of the users saying the manual can be referenced. Yes, that is correct but there are posts or queries where people have done a thorough studying of the manual docs and are still stumped. The purpose of having a group is essentially to help and not drive them away by saying to look up the manual. I have seen the same users post queries and wonder why they couldn't look it up themselves if all the problems can be solved by exploring the manuals. Remember this is an open source project and hence there may not be professional document writers like you have for Adobe etc. Sometimes the wordings may not be properly understood hence people post in forums.

@slim : I agree with your sentiment on how people immediately jump to respond or argue for criticisms but disappear when research questions are posted and that unfortunately is human nature!

http://www.facebook.com/briansimulator
https://twitter.com/briansimulator

Please cite Brian 2: Stimberg M, Brette R, Goodman DFM (2019). Brian 2, an intuitive and efficient neural simulator. eLife, doi: 10.7554/eLife.47314.

http://www.facebook.com/briansimulator
https://twitter.com/briansimulator

Please cite Brian 2: Stimberg M, Brette R, Goodman DFM (2019). Brian 2, an intuitive and efficient neural simulator. eLife, doi: 10.7554/eLife.47314.

Dan Goodman

Jul 20, 2020, 8:16:53 AM7/20/20
to brians...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to everyone writing in support of the team and community.

For those making criticisms, we understand that it's frustrating not to
be able to get support when you need it, but please remember that team
and community members are real people with their own lives who do this
as a service to the community. Please read and abide by the code of conduct:

https://brian2.readthedocs.io/en/stable/introduction/code_of_conduct.html

Dan

On 19/07/2020 15:44, Willam Xavier wrote:
> Brian team has been excellent in Q/A. Many questions can be answered by
> users themselves after going through the forum and manual.
>
> Wei
>
> On Sun, Jul 19, 2020, 10:17 AM <aji...@comcast.net
> <mailto:aji...@comcast.net>> wrote:
>
> When I started my research, I’d planned to write my own simulator,
> until I discovered Brian2 and GeNN. It is a well-designed simulator
> and has been a HUGE timesaver. I will add that Marcel, Dan and
> Thomas Nowotny have been very good about responding to my rookie
> questions and answering them patiently. I have also learned that it
> is quite easy to put together quick experiments to answer some of my
> questions on my own.____
>
> __ __
>
> With regard to answering questions and contributing to the
> community, well, it takes time to understand someone else’s work
> deeply enough to confidently and correctly answer questions about
> it, but I hope to start contributing in that way (and contributing
> to the codebase as well if I can usefully do so) by the time I’m
> finished with my dissertation.____
>
> __ __
>
> Ajit____
>
> __ __
>
> *From:* brians...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:brians...@googlegroups.com>
> <brians...@googlegroups.com

Dan Goodman

Jul 20, 2020, 8:20:40 AM7/20/20
to brians...@googlegroups.com
Hi Henry,

This is an interesting idea. We could move our support onto a different
platform that allowed for tracking who has contributed answers to other
people's questions so that people could get credit for that. If you have
a concrete proposal, we'd be very happy to discuss. Maybe raise an issue
on github?

https://github.com/brian-team/brian2/issues

A couple of ideas:
- GitHub Discussions
- StackExchange
- GitHub issues (not really designed for that though)

Dan

Marcel Stimberg

Aug 4, 2020, 6:09:28 AM8/4/20
to Brian
Hi everyone,
well, well, I'm back from holidays as you can see :) Thanks for the messages of support (please refrain from building me a shrine, though). Regarding the suggestion that "even in holidays we can answer questions on the internet": No, I'm afraid not. Even though I am very passionate about Brian, I still consider the work on it, well, work. And while of course I know that problems with Brian can be very serious for user at times (especially when being close to deadlines), I don't think having a couple of weeks every year without response from the developers is irresponsible. All that said, I would *love* if other users would answer questions here more often. Sometimes I wonder if I should simply answer less often so that users don't take this as a forum where users ask and Marcel answers, but then this did not seem to work out well this summer ;) (but kudos to Vigneswaran for stepping in for some questions!).

If we could improve the forum by moving away from google groups, I'm all for it. I think the project is too small for using StackExchange, but Github Discussions might be an option. Alternatively we could open our own space on Discourse.org or decide to join neurostars.org. It could also be a mix, e.g. the briansupport google group for technical question (I get an error, the installation does not work, etc.) and neurostars for more high-level modelling question.

Finally, I would just like to remind everyone that the user that asks a question can do a lot to increase chances to get a timely reply (from me or someone else): be precise, try to reduce the problem to the essential (even though some complete, runnable code can be useful). Dumping a big script and asking "does this look reasonable?" asks other people to do the job of a supervisor or reviewer, and therefore makes it unlikely that they will engage. That said, some kind of forum where users share their models and ask for feedback could be useful as well – I don't think it works well in this google group, though. Suggestions/comments welcome!

Best,
  Marcel

Dan Goodman

Aug 4, 2020, 6:33:21 AM8/4/20
to brians...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Marcel!

In terms of what could replace it, I think the key feature if we want to encourage community members to engage more would be a way to get recognition for answering questions. Stack overflow does this really well I think, but it's probably available in other software too. I like the idea of Discourse as a fully open software and a quick look at it seems nice. Haven't really looked in detail at Github Discussions or neurostars, but in principle both are good options. I'd also be interested to hear the community's thoughts on this.

Dan

--
http://www.facebook.com/briansimulator
https://twitter.com/briansimulator

Please cite Brian 2: Stimberg M, Brette R, Goodman DFM (2019). Brian 2, an intuitive and efficient neural simulator. eLife, doi: 10.7554/eLife.47314.

Dan Goodman

Aug 4, 2020, 6:39:47 AM8/4/20
to brians...@googlegroups.com

OK, so it seems Discourse has an official plugin for the "Mark as correct answer" idea, so it looks like a nice option.

Dan